RCT Discussion / The little things...

• Turtle%s's Photo
    I was looking at Isole Calabria today, and I started noticing all the little things about it that I liked. It annoys me how a lot of people look at parks at face value, and don't appreciate the little touches that a parkmaker puts in there. So with these thoughts, I decided to bring the bits I like to your attention.

Posted Image

I really like these arches, looking back on it. I think it's the mix of textures and repetition of shapes.

Posted Image

I started messing about with the landblocks, and wanted to make caves. I liked the idea of being able to see glimpses of the boats every now and then...

Posted Image

This walkway wasn't really planned, but came out so much better than I could have imagined. It just fits with the environment really well.

Posted Image

The flower pedastals here came as a moment of madness and a mistake while clearances were zeroed. Came out well, though.

Posted Image

This was the closest I could get to creating lanterns by path sides. Originally they were only going to be placed in and around the temples in the area, but I thought they looked so good I wanted to place them around all the pathing in the area.

Posted Image

I'm not sure why I like this little shrine so much, but I do!

Posted Image

Another example of me playing with new "lights". I like the way this turned out.

Posted Image

More playing around with landblocks. Meant to be a recreation of "Old Harry" and "Durdle Door", two local landmarks.

Posted Image

Custom portcullises, I hadn't seen these done before I made them, and was happy with how they turned out.

Posted Image

I really like this overhanging room, I can imagine it in Venice...

Posted Image

This entrance is so lovely, I couldn't have imagined it better.

Posted Image

A simple bridge, but one that I really like.

Posted Image

This is my favorite section of any rollercoaster i've ever made. It just....sweeps.

Posted Image

This was the first building made in the park, and is still in my opinion the best. Relatively dull colours, but it shaped the rest of the section.

So, there you have it. A little walkthrough of what, in my opinion, are the best bits of the park. Hope you enjoyed it, and I hope more people do this, as too many people don't look hard enough these days.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    I agree with you on all points, Jem. Though in the picture of the wooden coaster, I think people underestimate the beauty of tall, 1-tile-thin waterfalls. They look so lovely.
  • artist%s's Photo
    jem i gotta say i saw all those details when viewing your park, i think i looked at it for about 2 hours. nice topic btw i will get my little details up on islands of enchantment later (when i get rct2 which should be tonight :D :D )
  • egg_head%s's Photo
    Here's a midcours brakerun i really like. I also fell in love with this catwalk :)
    Posted Image

Edited by egg_head, 19 December 2005 - 09:42 AM.

• Turtle%s's Photo
    Where is that from? That's lovely.
  • X250%s's Photo
    The shrine is amazing, i can appreciate the amount of time involved in making that- can't begin to imagine how many times you had to go in an out of 8cars to sort out the clearances for it!
    The little details are what make this park a spotlight, the entrance area is still the best i have ever seen to date.

-X-
  • artist%s's Photo
    omg egg where is that from? that is amazing
  • egg_head%s's Photo
    See cork, that is amazing!
    Go make it a design :p
  • posix%s's Photo
    you submitted design. wonderful.
    bisshen schmierig sich selbst zu promoten für design, aber ...
    the thing does in fact look lovely.

do it cork :)
  • Richie%s's Photo
    But its just a metal walkway.. on a wooden structure..
  • Phatage%s's Photo
    ...on a wooden coaster that already has walkways...

but it does have an attempted chain return though, kudos for trying to do that.
  • Brent%s's Photo
    Maybe if he also used wood for that it'd look better. It is nifty though.

And those screens posted by Turtle make me wanna dl a bunch of old parks now.
  • cg?%s's Photo

...on a wooden coaster that already has walkways...

yes, but there's no direct path to those areas, which, in the case of emergency evacuation, and/or repair, would be a problem in "real life". it would be nicer in wood, though, i agree.

oh, and turtle, i liked a lot of those little details, but some of them, i think, are a bit, uh, silly. my favourites are the drop in the thirteenth picture, the rock formations in the eighth picture, and the arches in the first picture.

Edited by cg?, 19 December 2005 - 10:12 PM.

• Evil WME%s's Photo
    Nice idea turtle, had fun reading through that. I might do the same for one of my parks someday. It's funny how this is the exact aspect of parks i hold in such high regard.. i think slob's parks are, because of these little touches, so incredible. Anyways, most of what i filosofise about is in the planning for pt... still haven't started though so i guess it will sorta be one late pt entry haha.
  • Turtle%s's Photo

oh, and turtle, i liked a lot of those little details, but some of them, i think, are a bit, uh, silly. my favourites are the drop in the thirteenth picture, the rock formations in the eighth picture, and the arches in the first picture.

View Post

Could you expand on that? Which ones do you think are silly and why?

I think this is quite interesting...
  • CedarPoint6%s's Photo
    These are the kind of the details that pull this park above many of the others I've seen. I caught most of these when I went through the first time, but now I gotta get back in there for a little while and find the rest of the stuff. It really shows the depth of thought that goes into a park like this.
  • newk%s's Photo
    its probably pretty rewarding turtle to look back and see what a great park youve created. :lol:
  • Phatage%s's Photo

yes, but there's no direct path to those areas, which, in the case of emergency evacuation, and/or repair, would be a problem in "real life".

View Post

You're talking about the ladder leading up to the walkway, wheras I'm talking about the unnecessary walkway itself, unnecessary as there already is a walkway on the wooden coaster track. Also, if that ladder is used for evacuating guests off of the mcbr, which would only happen if say something blew out a portion of the track between it and the station, they would be stairs like on the Texas Giant for example, not a ladder. All that there is in that pic is maintenance objects as scenery, and that is its only purpose.
  • trav%s's Photo
    I loved all the little details and "little things" on this building...

Posted Image
  • Nic%s's Photo
    haha durdle door.

been there!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading