General Chat / The Offical Photography Thread

• JBruckner%s's Photo
    Post away, discuss, etcetera:
    Pictures
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    Shit dude, that is some serious zoom.
    Okay here are some of mine. I took a roll of landscapes for photo class 2 weeks ago, made 5 prints, here they are.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Scanning in the negatives from the roll didn't work out so well. I did scan in the contact sheet I made for the roll, but the file is huge obviously and plus, there's all kinds of marks on it because I circled the ones I decided to print.
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    http://brucknerandbr..._3.2.06_007.JPG
    Beautiful.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    That last one is great Jelly, although I would have burned the right side where the trees are lighter.
  • natelox%s's Photo
    Jellybones, nice work! The first and last are my favorites. The second to last one, is it just me or do those trees form a roller coaster (on the left). Maybe there is one in there, I don't know, but it's a very cool effect.

JBruckner, wonderful! Your focus on textures is quite inspiring. This and this are my favorites. In that last one, too bad about the green string. I doesn't really 'fit'.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    I'll have to scan my stuff from school.

I didn't even notice his belt, Nate.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

That last one is great Jelly, although I would have burned the right side where the trees are lighter.

View Post

Dodging and burning makes me sad.

Actually, that only came about in a scanner error. The actual print looks fine. My scanner screwed up the contrast in almost all of these. That last one of the riverbank, the contrast is perfect (which it should be, I spent a good hour making test strip after test strip to get it right), but the scanner made it too dark in part and too light in part.

I know digital cameras are the way of the future, but manual film cameras are so much fun. Half the enjoyment I get in photography is developing and making prints. I'm gonna be bummed this summer when I won't have access to the school darkroom anymore and I'll have to rely on the photo store to make prints. Also, a good digital camera is in the 4-figure range and are constantly gonna end up outdated. My manual camera is a 30-year-old hand-me-down from my grandmother. Which may explain why the shutter likes to open for too long all of a sudden.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    You could probably fix the shutter for like 60 bucks. Burning and dodging is a bitch but it can be worth it. Digital cameras are almost too the point where they will not be advancing as fast as they have been. You only need about 10-12MP on a dSLR to have a film quality print.

You could make your own darkroom as your house, would cost like 300.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

You could probably fix the shutter for like 60 bucks.  Burning and dodging is a bitch but it can be worth it.  Digital cameras are almost too the point where they will not be advancing as fast as they have been.  You only need about 10-12MP on a dSLR to have a film quality print.

You could make your own darkroom as your house, would cost like 300.

View Post

But I'm going to college at the end of the summer! I'm sure all of my potential choices (no, I still haven't decided) have photo classes and darkrooms, but none offer it as a major. Emerson would at least give me access to take photo classes at MassArt (which has an awesome photography program), so that's cool.

And I just thought of another problem with the digital camera: my printer doesn't like printing photos. The ones I've printed out from my current digital aren't good, the colors are all off, among other problems. It's probably something I could fix, but I'm not computer-savvy, and my printer just isn't designed for it. So then getting a new printer would grow to be an expensive proposition.

I guess ultimately I'm like one of those vinyl junkies, but for photography instead of music.
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    This concerns digital photos more than 35mm. How do you guys organise your photos on your computer? do you have any naming schemes etc? What does your PS look like while editing?

This is my naming scheme/file organisation:
    Posted Image

This is my Photoshop while editing:
    Posted Image
  • Corkscrewed%s's Photo
    jbrucknerVII (10:32:30 PM): im about to post somethng about photos in the discussion thread.
    jbrucknerVII (10:32:33 PM): go look when im done.
    jbrucknerVII (10:34:06 PM): http://forums.nedesi...12
    corkscrewed02 (10:35:12 PM): wow
    corkscrewed02 (10:35:16 PM): um... I don't do that at all
    corkscrewed02 (10:35:17 PM): lol
    jbrucknerVII (10:35:35 PM): really?
    corkscrewed02 (10:36:15 PM): yeah
    corkscrewed02 (10:36:26 PM): they're basically organized in folders related to category
    corkscrewed02 (10:36:27 PM): that's all
    corkscrewed02 (10:36:43 PM): so like... San Francisco 2006
    corkscrewed02 (10:36:47 PM): Arizona Xmas 2005
    corkscrewed02 (10:36:49 PM): Disneyland
    corkscrewed02 (10:36:50 PM): etc...
    jbrucknerVII (10:37:10 PM): interesting.
    jbrucknerVII (10:39:56 PM): ya gotta post
    corkscrewed02 (10:40:05 PM): erm... okay...
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Quit forging convos, you pervert.
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    A few of my photos...unedited with the exception of couple:
    http://daapspace3.da...hotography.html
  • JBruckner%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Mike Robbins%s's Photo
    Not a great photo, but I always liked this one I took of a little girl at Busch Gardens Williamsburg:

Posted Image
  • catachresistant%s's Photo
    So, I clicked on this thread to mock all your pathetic emo attempts at photography. I had all this great material picked out and everything.
    And then you spiteful dickheads had to go and ruin it by not sucking. This makes me sad.

Edited by catachresistant, 20 March 2006 - 01:29 PM.

• Jellybones%s's Photo

So, I clicked on this thread to mock all your pathetic emo attempts at photography. I had all this great material picked out and everything.
    And then you spiteful dickheads had to go and ruin it by not sucking. This makes me sad.

View Post

Sorry. Once I get my camera fixed, want me to go out and take some black and white pictures of pale hands holding dead leaves for you?

As for digital photos: They all go in the default Kodak folder by the date I transferred them to my computer. I'm not too picky about that, because all my good pictures are in film form. The only digital pictures I keep are shitty blurry ones from concerts, really.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo

Sorry.  Once I get my camera fixed, want me to go out and take some black and white pictures of pale hands holding dead leaves for you?

View Post

eyes too. preferably with a lot of make up. but just one eye per photo.

Edited by tracidEdge, 20 March 2006 - 04:00 PM.

• JBruckner%s's Photo
    really high-contrast white emo girls are hot.
  • AustinPowers%s's Photo
    I like most of yours Glitch...but I think you blur them too much...some blurring is cool, but it's a bit too much for me

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading