General Chat / The Offical Photography Thread

• Austin55%s's Photo

Showoff!

• Scott.S%s's Photo

Well, he is a professional photographer (prick).

YOU DON'T KNOW ME

And thank you guys :) Appreciate it. 

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Excellent work and really great composition.  The composite stuff is really nice in particular, but I feel like almost all of those would be better off without the heavy vignetting and "vintage" tan wash over top.  You're losing so much visual information when you limit color and contrast like that.

All depends on what you're using the shots for and there's a significant personal taste factor, but with the kind of shots you're taking it almost feels like an injustice to ignore the color contrasts you could be seeing.

EW3ymkj.gif

• Scott.S%s's Photo

[ntamin22' timestamp='1407482875' post='643344']

Excellent work and really great composition.  The composite stuff is really nice in particular, but I feel like almost all of those would be better off without the heavy vignetting and "vintage" tan wash over top.  You're losing so much visual information when you limit color and contrast like that.

All depends on what you're using the shots for and there's a significant personal taste factor, but with the kind of shots you're taking it almost feels like an injustice to ignore the color contrasts you could be seeing.

Thanks :) I admit my "style" is definitely not to everyone's liking, but there is a certain amount of artistic license in everything I shoot. When I did product photography a year or two ago I was careful to make the colors as accurate and true to life as possible (scopes everywhere...), but now my job allows me tons of artistic license and since it mostly goes to print (I work for a magazine in Seattle), the colors are toned with the end print result in mind (the designers at my previous job used to take my images and color correct them after I had spend hours working on them in LR and PS; the frustration of that knew no bounds).

Heavy contrast often tends to clash with the work the graphic designers do and makes it difficult to put type on top of an image, so there's a certain degree of "mutedness" to the shots. 

But yes, I do see what you mean on a lot of them. At a certain point I just chalk it up to a stylistic choice :)

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Yep, totally makes sense.  A lot of these have the "full page magazine spread" vibe.  I guess my feeling is that your examples here have a lot of bold, central subjects that would be great full-page feature shots or titlecards for an article, and for that kind of use (where the image IS the featured content) I feel weird about altering them for the sake of text.  

Then again I'm doing the exact same thing as we speak, so I guess you can't win em all :bandit:

It is a royal pain trying to get this banner image displaying well across screen ratios, so I have ended up washing the whole thing with grey and really pushing the burn in the center to make sure the text shows up clearly enough no matter how squashed/stretched the image is.

5zHCzzQ.jpg

Ditto for the blur in the the bottom third - client requested it. The woes of an artist :p
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Attached File  20150517_173732.jpg (237.54KB)
    downloads: 74

This building in Amsterdam always reminds me of something Shotguns could do. It's an eclectic mess. What the fuck is with that chimney!?
  • Stoksy%s's Photo

^Hahaha, this should start a trend where IRL pictures are compared to RCT builders.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I think it's more Sey like.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I agree, actually. Just without the whites.
  • csw%s's Photo

Shot(gun)s fired. 

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

gratuitous mediocre cedar point trip shots

http://imgur.com/a/QwwMg

• Louis!%s's Photo

Someone left the default supports on Iron Dragon. They could have at least put in some custom supports. #lazyrct

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

#DragginIron

• Liampie%s's Photo

Amsterdam was looking fabulous the other day. It's pretty rare that snow covers the city like this.

em75796.jpg

ex4l1Dw.jpg

zTbaCp2.jpg

0ZPS9O1.jpg

• SlayMeGaga%s's Photo

https://www.brodyboggs.com literally just launched my website, not much yet. although i plan on shooting much more this semester. i threw everything from freshman year of college out. started redoing everything sophomore year. 

• saxman1089%s's Photo

Decided to throw some of my photography work up here. As you can see, I'm most into astrophotography, but I have dabbled in other stuff as well. Hope you guys enjoy!

Attached File  1.jpg (209.31KB)
    downloads: 11

Attached File  2.jpg (97.25KB)
    downloads: 15

Attached File  3.jpg (190.15KB)
    downloads: 11

Attached File  4.jpg (159.42KB)
    downloads: 10

Attached File  5.jpg (182.32KB)

Attached File  6.jpg (177.33KB)
    downloads: 12

Attached File  7.jpg (103.37KB)

Attached File  8.jpg (65.06KB)

Attached File  9.jpg (58.62KB)
    downloads: 8

Attached File  10.jpg (133.54KB)
    downloads: 7

Attached File  11.jpg (60.64KB)
    downloads: 7

Attached File  12.jpg (49.07KB)
    downloads: 8

Attached File  13.jpg (194.9KB)
    downloads: 9

Attached File  14.jpg (200.21KB)

• SlayMeGaga%s's Photo

Did a quick shoot the other day with a newly signed face at Wilhelmina Models.

Attached File  _01.JPG (103.91KB)

Attached File  _02.JPG (102.37KB)
    downloads: 13

They look better on my site: https://brodyboggs.com/#/alyssa/

• In:Cities%s's Photo

Good stuff! Site looks great too. Very nice work.

• SlayMeGaga%s's Photo

Just shot this new face at Ford Models.

Again my site has them in better quality. 

https://brodyboggs.com/#/whitting/

Attached File  _10-33.JPG (78.47KB)
    downloads: 19

Attached File  _10-25.JPG (153.54KB)
    downloads: 20

• Liampie%s's Photo

Best photos on the site since Magnus.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading