Ask the Experts / Hex Edit Tutorials

• geewhzz%s's Photo
    Thanks Levis.
  • Tom_Dj%s's Photo
    Very nice tut levis, you told me about that hex editing a while ago but i never understand what it really was :p.

But now i know it, i'm not sure if i'm gonna use it in game because i don't know if i have the patience for it :p
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Hey all

does anyone know if that fix the black hole trick works in LL?
    i have one in Metro and its quite annoying.

Cheers
    Dave
  • Levis%s's Photo

Hey all

does anyone know if that fix the black hole trick works in LL?
    i have one in Metro and its quite annoying.

Cheers
    Dave

for as far as I know it works in LL also, but I never tried (I really should get LL working here :( ).

well the chain hack and invisible hack can now be done with the new 8-cars trainer so the only things that really matter in this tut now is fixing the black hole and the duel station (or did ja227 fixed that to in the new 8-cars trainer? ).
  • darkfire%s's Photo
    If you click on the square with the 'black hole' in the codex map editor, there might be an object on it called 'Type 1 unknown object' or something similar, but no land tile. If so you can edit the object by clicking the plus sign and modifying the hex string to change it back to a land tile. You might just need to change the first byte to 00, you might need to change more.

Also middle clicking on a square in the map editor brings up a hex editor showing the contents of memory starting with that square. So you could try that if there is no unknown object in the map control. This flash tutorial shows hex editting in codex. :)
  • lucas92%s's Photo
    ^Nice found here. But I can't understand of how getting a black hole... I never got one.
  • ChillerHockey33%s's Photo
    Am I the only one having a very difficult time finding the right landtiles?

-Ryan
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    Wow, i've only just noticed this Levis, great work! You've explained WinHack pretty well, it's much easier to use then i thought.
  • Levis%s's Photo
    alright wme after needing your hack today I readed your post again and understand now what you mean :) .
    I shall try to make a tut of it soon :) .
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    woohoo!
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    Ah i missed that post before WME, sounds like a nice idea. I'm gonna go implicate this new found wisdom. :D Good stuff man.
  • FreakyB%s's Photo
    How do you sink scenery in RCT, stalls/shops etc?
  • Levis%s's Photo
    you could change the height variables
    but ofter you can just use the 8-cars' trainer object manipulation.
  • FreakyB%s's Photo
    8-cars? I have heard of that...

Sorry, I forgot to say this: I need to learn how to sink scenery in RCT using the Beast trainer :sad:
  • Levis%s's Photo
    oh you mean for rct1 ?
    I would reconment the codex trainer in that case :) .
  • Levis%s's Photo
    one new tut.
    I will make the synch hack tut soon to.
    I wil edit the first post ASAP ;) .

Make a entrance and exit invisible (but still working)

The trick we used for the track we can use for other things to.
    In this part I will explain also how you can using theming in combination with this hack.

First we build the attraction and the path, I used a invisible path for the first pieces but you can use a normal path to.

Posted Image

As you see I’ve made 4 parts a different ground colour. These are the parts we will need to edit. If we look for the first tile we’ll find these stings:

Posted Image

The green part is the landtile.
    The brown part is the object we build under the path (this is just decorative and won’t serve any purpose).
    The red part is the string of the path.

We’re going to raise the entrance and exit and the paths. So we change the third block (10) of the red string to a higher number (for example 30). This would raise the path.
    Now we search the next tile which has the good landtype and change the same number (because I build on every tile the same amount of things I can just take the same thing, if you don’t have the same amount on your tiles you need to check which one you need to raise, you can check this by looking at the height of the object in the first place).

After we’ve raised all the things we go back to rct2 and build a track under the entrance and exit.

Posted Image

Now we bury this track.

Posted Image

We bury this now because all the other things (like theming) the game will see as underground. If we make the entrance invisible now with the FF methode it wont make the other things invisible and won’t cause errors also.
    After you buried the track you can remove the track again.

To use the FF methode we need to place a object under the entrance and exit, so we do this, and after that you need to know how high your land now is so you can find it in winhack again.
    So you can use the height markers to see the height and translate that to hex numbers (remember that the land height is 2 clearence every time and it goes from -7 to 121 )

Posted Image

You see for me it’s 15 so that would make:

15*2+14 = 44
    44/16=2.75
    16*0.75=12 (12=C)

So it makes 2C.

Now we’re going to search for the land tile with height 2C and land 80 so that would make us search for 2C2C0080.
    This is one of the results:

Posted Image

You’ll see now first go the landtile than the object and than the entrance/exit building.
    We change the following things:

Posted Image

You see that we lower the land again and lower the entrance/exit building to his old height and make it invisible by starting the object with FF.

After this you only need to do the same modification to the other landtile to and search the landtiles with the path and lower the path to the original height also.
    I first raise the path because else it won’t connect good anymore after you make it invisible (at least I noticed that when I first did the hack).
    After I did it like this it does connect good.

Result:

Posted Image

I hope you have fun with this hack, and if someone has suggestions please post them.
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    bah, I need to update my tips with how to get rid of these bitches the simple way, tho there are just gone and can't be used at all unlike Levis' Winhack way. Nice work Leo.
  • lucas92%s's Photo
    I agree, this one hack is the most usefull. Nice work Levis! I'll have to try that one day. :)
  • Leonardofury%s's Photo
    I'm having difficulty getting this to work, WinHack works fine, but I can't seem to locate the correct tiles because I'm not sure how the land tile height is affected. Does anyone have a table comparing the hexadecimal value to the land height? I know the tiles I want are 00??????0080 (Red Rock), I'm trying to get a vertical lifthill working
  • Levis%s's Photo
    you can calculate it in the folowing way:

set your height indication on units.
    look at the number which height your land is.
    for example 3

because land starts at -7 the total height is 10
    because a land tile is 2 clearence heigh the total height is 2*10 = 20
    we work with hexadecimals so 20/16 = 1,25
    you take the part behint the , and does that times 16:
    0.25*16=4
    so the hexadeximal value is:
    so it would give:

14140080 (martian rock)
    if you search on this you'll find your land tile in most cases :) .

.... darkfire needs to release that rct2 codex trainer :p .

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading