Ask the Experts / Hex Edit Tutorials

• Evil WME%s's Photo
    All the calculation isn't needed though.

When you open up RCT, everything starts over. When you build one thing, the code gets added, and just that code and everything else on that tile. Find where this starts, save, and you have full zeros again.

If you want to find a particular tile, all you have to do is build something only on that tile after you've just saved, and that's all there is.. so you really can't miss it then.. can you?
  • MDupont%s's Photo
    Can you edit the amount of rides/scenery you can select in Create a Scenario mode. (You know what I mean).

Can you edit the pixel limit as well?
  • Levis%s's Photo

Can you edit the amount of rides/scenery you can select in Create a Scenario mode. (You know what I mean).

Can you edit the pixel limit as well?

nope, both can't be changed
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    This is going to sound really stupid. But I just don't get this hex editing at all. I open up winhack, and straight away I have absolutely no idea how to search for what I need. I've put the martian land underneath the land i wish to edit, and I know the code this should be represented as in the 6th of 8 in winhack, but I have no idea how to find that in winhack. Do you have to do it manually?

Also, rct2's memory seems to be seperated by a string of 0's. Which section is the land tiles and objects?

Very very confused here...

Edited by deanosrs, 24 June 2007 - 04:07 PM.

• Levis%s's Photo
    read the first part of the tutorial it should explain it ....
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    Yeh I couldn't understand it... I'll have another go when I next have a second of free time, if I still can't get it I may pester you on aim!
  • Levis%s's Photo
    sure you can
    keep in mind I'm on GMT+1 so I hope you can catch me up some time.
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    So am I ;) I think, if that's what BST is...
  • Levis%s's Photo
    It's the timezone for west-Europe ... so if you call that BST than your right
    but seems you live in the UK you probally are on GMT so it's only 1 hour diffrence (I live in Holland)
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    Can't catch you on aim levis!

I really don't know where to start. I open a blank workbench, change a tile land, place an object and open winhack. Then I select rct2.exe as the process, and the display I get is nothing like in levis' first post - shouldn't it just be the same strings over and over? Apart from the slight deviation where I've put in the object and changed the land? I have no idea where to start. If someone could give me a guide as to exactly how you get to the winhack stage of the first screen in this thread that would be great. From there I would be able to work out a search I could do but right now I don't know the initial height of the tiles etc.
  • Levis%s's Photo
    the starting screen is else indeed, but if you search for a landtile (if you've got a martain land tile than search for 0E0E0080 etc...).
    than you will see things like I showed.

I'm going on vacation for two weeks now so if you need any help try WME or snas (a dutch member which I learned some things to, he is a member here also)...they can help you also I think.
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    mmm... but wouldn't that be dependent on its height being 0e0e? little bit confused by this post by wme:

When you open up RCT, everything starts over. When you build one thing, the code gets added, and just that code and everything else on that tile. Find where this starts, save, and you have full zeros again.

Does that mean that sometimes rct just runs on a load of zeros in the memory? can't believe i'm having so many problems getting my head round this, i'm supposed to be a bloody computer scientist!

have a good vacation levis.
  • Xophe%s's Photo
    I have a question. I know you can't build on top of an invisible entrance/exit because it causes an error trapper. So I built scenery first then did the instructions above. When I buried the track and then lowered the land down again, though, the scenery above the entrance/exit was erased. Is there another way around this? I thought maybe doing the whole process with zero-clearances on might work?

Any help would be appreciated!!
  • Xophe%s's Photo

The theory behind this hack is that by changing the first block of a object to FF it becomes deleted, normally it would be moved to the last place of the mapdata but because you edit it now it stays in front of the other things so all things behind it looks removed to but aren’t. .
    The only letdown of this hack is that you can build anything above this object anymore but there are way’s to conquer this problem also. For example you can build the track first a lot higher and move the object up. Now use the FF method and after that lower the track by hex-editing or by using a alternate colorscheme. Now you are able to build objects on the same height as the track.

Well after rereading that part of the tutorial, I tried building the track for a coaster station high above the scenery for the station. Then I did all the hex editing and it worked fine - the entrance and exit were invisible. The difficulty was in lowering the track back down again. I couldn't get 8cars to lower the track when it was recoloured - I don't remember if it's just the case that you can't raise/lower stations with alternative colour schemes?
    I also tried lowering the track with hex editing and this appeared to work - I got the tracks to line up. But when I tested the coaster I got an error trapper.

I can't think of any other way to get invisible entrances and exits when there's existing scenery above them. Anyone got any solutions? Thanks!!
  • spartan%s's Photo
    What if you built the scenery below the track and raised it. That's what you have to do in LL and I would guess it works pretty much the same way with RCT2
  • geewhzz%s's Photo
    raise/lower in 8cars doesn't work on station entries.

it all depends on where the scenery is in the memory. to make something invisible using ff you have to have only the thing you want invisible coming after the landtile and everything else underground so it comes first in the memory.

as for lowering the station, it should work, and i've done it before. the only thing i notice is when you do that the coaster ignores the blocked section on the first tile of the station, but still counts it as a block.
  • Xophe%s's Photo

What if you built the scenery below the track and raised it. That's what you have to do in LL and I would guess it works pretty much the same way with RCT2

I just tried that but an object I built underneath the entrance/exit didn't appear in winhack even after I saved the game. Maybe I'm missing something...?

raise/lower in 8cars doesn't work on station entries.

it all depends on where the scenery is in the memory. to make something invisible using ff you have to have only the thing you want invisible coming after the landtile and everything else underground so it comes first in the memory.

as for lowering the station, it should work, and i've done it before. the only thing i notice is when you do that the coaster ignores the blocked section on the first tile of the station, but still counts it as a block.

Ok so everything you want to remain visible has to be buried underground by building a track segment under the entrance and burying it with 8cars? I think I tried that and it kept the objects underneath the entrance but erased the ones above it. I'll try again though.

Lowering the station with winhack worked for me in normal circumstances, but what I tried was building the station up high (including the entrance/exit huts) and using winhack to raise the paths, bury some track, build an object on the raised land tile, make that FF, and lower the land, huts and path down again. It all seemed to have worked. Then I lowered the station track with winhack. Again, it all looked fine. But when I tested the ride I got an error trapper. So somewhere along the line, while making the huts invisible, something must have gone wrong to make the ride cause an error.

This is so frustrating!

Thanks both of you for your help, though!
  • Xophe%s's Photo
    Right I'm having a really weird problem. It's sort of hard to explain.
    I tried to get rid of the station platforms on the railway in my park. I already got rid of the entrance and exit huts but I wanted to remove the platforms and replace them with normal track. So I raised the platforms with hex editing, raised the ground under them, built normal railway track underground where the platform was, and used the FF method to make the platform invisible then lowered it back down. It all works fine, the trains go over the new track and load peeps fine, but there's a problem with the exit.
    This is at the second station by the way. Everything worked perfectly at the first station. But at the second station the peeps get on the ride fine but when they get off, instead of going through the invisible exit hut, they sort of 'float' across the park in a big clump until they get to the exit at the first station and go through that exit. You know when peeps get on and off flat rides and they kind of 'zig-zag' twitching across the base until they get to a seat? Well that's what they're doing when they get off the railway. Except they twitch in a dead straight line right across the park, going through scenery and land, until they get to the original station exit.
    Anyone have any insight as to what the hell's going on?
  • Fr3ak%s's Photo
    Well, try it again.

But what you've created is great, a dueling station, with 2 entrance huts but just one exit hub ^^
    Use it :p
  • Tolsimir%s's Photo
    ^it isnt that difficult :p

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading