Music Forum / Instrument.

• Ride6%s's Photo
    They compete for chairs within the school. I suppose there's then state-wide competitions for those who qualify (just like any other high school "sport").

That's just a guess though...

Ride6
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

How does one rank trumpet players?

Rock paper scissor tournement.

You all play the same song, and they judge you on it. Though you have to go through similar auditions at the district and regional levels to get there.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo

Rock paper scissor tournement.

You all play the same song, and they judge you on it. Though you have to go through similar auditions at the district and regional levels to get there.

Okay, I will give you that that's a reasonable (if flawed) way of doing it.
    RPS is always a reasonable method of determining things.
  • Jellybones%s's Photo
    I was talking about the judging thing. I fully support RPS for all reasons. I think my parents actually did a best-of-3 to figure out who got custody of me when they divorced.
    It's all a big pissing contest and everyone knows it. Nobody has asked me since where I ranked at States.

I did get in some awesome dice games with a couple of Asian cello players. Won $20. That kid had a huge gambling problem...
  • twister12%s's Photo
    i also play the alto sax. i think i a am the best freshmen in my district. i hopefully might get into jazz band next year. and by the way, i lowered my cymbal heights and angles penguin. can you post more of yours? i am really into drums right now. i started playing about 9 months ago with no training, and i am told that i am pretty good, so its fun to have that said to me.
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    keep your cymbals level so you'll always hit the edge of the cymbal with the shoulder of your stick--you don't want the angles lowered unless you plan on only hitting the cymbal with the tip of the stick. atm my set is in cases in my car and won't be set up until i get back from college. i didn't have any formal training either, just a few pages of sheet music with some drum beats, which i hardly ever used, and i didn't really listen to music while playing either. (it does help however. also, just playing with people helps the most by a long shot)

edit: here's a two pics from a gig over christmas break, you can kind of see what's going on with the set. (it's mine and the bassist's put together, for no reason really besides it being rediculously large. i felt like fucking neal peart)

Posted Image

Posted Image

also another pic from a gig last summer (my actual set)

Posted Image

Edited by penguinBOB, 30 April 2007 - 03:06 PM.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    i don't have my French Horn on my atm, but here's my other instruments of choice- Two-stringed Banjo, Cat, and that's my horn mute on the shelf, left side. on the right is my LL [shit] PC.
    Posted Image

Edited by ][ntamin22, 03 May 2007 - 07:01 PM.

• twister12%s's Photo
    ya. im havin band practice tomorrow so ill get some new pics. also, today at school, i was told that i will be in jazz band next year as a sophmore. its rare for our school to have sophmores come up to jazz band. i am soooo happy :D oh, and also, penguin i officially love zildjian k dark medium thin crashes. especially the 17".

i don't have my French Horn on my atm, but here's my other instruments of choice- Two-stringed Banjo, Cat, and that's my horn mute on the shelf, left side. on the right is my LL [shit] PC.
    Posted Image

Eww... stoned lined. Invest in a metal mute, sir. Well worth the price.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    quiet you. i use a wooden uber-mute of my teacher's for performances.
    no one sells metal horn mutes around here anyway.
    ( actually i've never looked. <_< >_> )

pics:
    music stuff left half- snare of inknown make/model, Casio WK-1350 keyboard, King Eroica horn, Getzen practice [shit] mello.
    Posted Image
    my game mello is the one over there, the yamaha.
    <<<<<<<<

the mellophone is an atrocious mutant beasty anyway. -.-

right half- two-stringed banjo, alto sax, snare pad, train whistle, some assorted sticks and music.
    Posted Image

mutes of various nature-
    Posted Image

Sea Eagle, by Peter Maxwell Davies [ i.e. the face melter ]- inspiration for my fusion survivor entry. Three movements of hell.
    cover- Posted Image
    64th note runs-
    Posted Image

Ending- near-chromatic 32nd note scale from the below the staff in bass clef to a C above the staff, treble cleff. mostly my entire range.
    Posted Image

mah baby- my King Eroica horn. not very well known, but basically a darker, richer Conn 8D. mouthpiece is a Giardinelli C8.
    Posted Image
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Posted Image

Haven't posted in here in a while, but there it is. 90% of my guitar stuff:

Guitars:
    *Fender Mexi Tele; modified before I laid eyes on it (aka I don't know what the pickups are).
    *Indiana IS-300 (strat copy). Modified (by me) with universal tone & volume, kill switch, Gotoh tuners, Lace Sensor Red and Powered by Lace pickups.
    *Silvertone Hollowbody; all I really know is that it's a 1966, with DeArmond pickups, Gotoh tuners and Bigsby trem, sounds WONDERFUL, but it's rather difficult to play.
    *Art & Lutherie Acoustic; all solid woods, cedar top.

Amps:
    *1973 Fender Princeton Reverb; was destroyed by water damage but my family salvaged it and put it back together. Amazing amplifier, probably will be my main studio amp.
    *Crate RFX120; currently having volume cut-out issues. I need to get it worked on. Otherwise a great amp that takes care of my gain and "normal" delay needs (but I also play it clean live).

Petals: (in the order that they're wired)
    -Digitech WH4 Whammy
    -Vox V847, made in the USA, modified for true bypass
    -Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Nano
    -Keeley Compressor
    -Boss DD3 Digital Delay (used for glitchy & "meltdown" sounds)
    (In the effects loop of the amp, aka post-gain):
    Carl Martin Surf Trem
    DeArmond Volume Petal: apparently a 1967.

Cables are mainly ProCo, since they're local (Kalamazoo Michigan), but theres a Planet Waves and a couple Fender links in there too. Considering buying distortion petals at some point. Probably a Rat of some type, Marshall Shredmaster, Jackhammer, or Zvex Fuzz Probe. But that probably won't be until Christmas.

Sometime after college (meaning like 5 years from now) I plan on moving into a double amp rig using an Orange of some kind for gain and a Vox AC30 for cleans... But I've got to wait a while on that one... And the Princeton & Silvertone will probably never tour with me, they're simply too rare and wonderful to risk losing.
  • Silenced%s's Photo
    oh man i love old fender tube amps.
  • Lloyd%s's Photo
    Wow man, your two tier pedal board looks a little chunky. Looks neat though, could easilly squeeze a few more pedals on there ;)
  • penguinBOB%s's Photo
    i don't really understand the reason for all those pedals. of the 3 guitarist in the band i'm in (ha, i know it's rediculous) one uses that 3 channel thing and a floor tuner, another i think just has a distortion pedal, and the other has distortion and he just got this phaser thing (if you use it with a chorous pedal it makes it sound like the guitar from the police). they run gain, delay, or reverb out of their amps; do swells and stuff with the volume knob; and use the whammy bar or string bends to bend pitch.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    There is absolutely no need: except a desire for sound quality in those effects...

You can't get a "Karma Police finale" decay out of an amplifiers delay unity, or at the very least I can't with this one. The Small Stone makes all other phasers sound like complete and utter shit, clean or distorted; it's the best. The Wah is a classic effect, the Whammy I've had for quite a while now. I quite love it though; excellent pitch shift unit allowing two octave shifts: I'd like to see someone bend a note up two octaves; using the whammy bar to drop it two *might* be possible but not with any degree of accuracy. The volume petal is set up so it's after the amplifiers gain unit (pre-amp) so that it only controls volume rather than also decreasing gain when volume is decreased on the guitar, same with the tremolo, though I haven't really gotten comfortable with that one yet.

Ultimately the reason I have them is painfully obvious: I like the way they sound; wanted that sound; now I have that sound. And believe me I can get sounds and tones that no one can get using simply amplifiers and guitars, unless we're talking some kind of digital signal processor for an amp or something absurd. Even then it would take a hell of a lot to get it to sound as 'good'... I use the amp's gain, reverb, and "regular" delay quite heavily as well. I'd say about 50% of the time all of the petals are off (with the exception of the volume petal which cannot be turned "on" or "off") and I'm just playing.

Petals cannot replace fundamentals, but they do open the doors to new tones, sounds and gimmicks; things I tend to like in music.

Ride6
  • yyo%s's Photo

The Small Stone makes all other phasers sound like complete and utter shit, clean or distorted; it's the best.

No way. Phase 90, DOOD.

Here's my amp:

Posted Image

Early 80's Laney Pro Tube 50. Basically JCM800 circuit with a little more gain (which I don't really use, I keep it low overdrive).

I don't have pictures of my guitar or pedals, but they are: BC Rich Warlock, Phase 90, Dunlop Crybaby DB01, Euthymia Crucible Fuzz.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    ^Ahahahaha...

Vox V847 > All Crybaby's
    Small Stone > Phase 90s

But that Laney beats my Crate up and eats it's lunch. :'(

Seriously though, isn't it all personal taste anyway? If you're happy with the sound you're getting and I'm happy with mine I don't see the problem. Guitarists are picky people and we're all after different things in our sound. Believe me we'll never come to a point where we all agree about anything; except that playing guitar/ being a guitarist is a most wonderful thing.

Ride6
  • LiquidCrash%s's Photo
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

Korg Triton 88 Key with Behringer amp...
    And I swear, I've been having that stupid penguin metronome for like 8 years, I can't get rid of it. :(

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading