Ask the Experts / Dealing w/ Black Holes in LL

• Gwazi%s's Photo
    Okay, after about an hour of trial and error with CedarPoint6, we finally figured out how to fix a black hole glitch in LL. Here's a short tutorial for how to get rid of them.

What is a Black Hole Glitch?

A black hole glitch is a glitch that may be caused by restoring clearances. It can happen in either game, and there isn't anything you can really do to prevent them. Symptoms include a tile that shows parts of other objects/images from your game, the inability to build on that tile, raise its land, invert ownership rights, etc. on that land. It can be very frustrating to build around, and is impossible to build over.

How to Fix it Using Codex

You can download Codex, the latest in LL utilities, here. Using it to fix a black hole glitch is relatively easy. Open up Codex, and click on the button on the far right. It will bring up a map of your park. Zoom in, and locate the relative location of the glitch. Then click around a bit and find out where a couple "landmark" tiles are. You can use them to find the corrupt tile.

Once you have found it, find another square that is almost exactly like it (ex. If the glitch formed on a grass square with dirt sides, find another one like that). If you can't find one, make one. Click on the plus sign that shows up to the right of the bar that indicates the tile (not the contents on it) in the map overview. Look at the bottom of the new menu, and record the numbers in each byte.

Go back to the glitched tile, and there should be some sort of object there. It doesn't matter if the object is a barrel, a path, or even a ride, there should be something there. Click on the plus sign in that bar and bring up the same type of menu you did earlier. Look at the bytes, and replace all the existing numbers with the ones from the square you want to clone. Go back into RCT and see what changed.

The square should now look very similar to the "clean" one you copied the numbers from. There might be a little changing necessary, but it should be limited to raising or lowering the land or changing the land's shape. You should also be able to build on it now.

Posted Image___Posted Image
    __________Before____________________________After_________

Now you should be done fixing a very troublesome glitch in the LL community. :mantis:

NOTE: There are a few different types of black holes, some of which won't have an object/ride show up in the map overview. I haven't figured out how to fix those yet.

Edited by Gwazi, 06 January 2008 - 09:14 AM.

• Levis%s's Photo
    pinned

I personally think it isn't because of restoring clearence but its just a bug of rct2 cause you can get is also if you dont use trainers
  • Magnus%s's Photo

bug of rct2

This thread is about LL. ;)

And shouldn't this go to the wiki instead of the forums?
    However, thanks for your time and effort Gwazi.
  • Levis%s's Photo

This thread is about LL. ;)

I ment rct and rct2 :p .
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo
    I've doen some crazy shit in my time, but I've never had this happen. Seems like you could have avoided it simply by saving often.
  • Levis%s's Photo

I've doen some crazy shit in my time, but I've never had this happen. Seems like you could have avoided it simply by saving often.

Personally I think it has something to do with deleting a lot of things.
    I've had it also never but I noticed that the people who get it are often the people who say they tried diffrent things before getting this.
    If I'm not amused with what I've made I just reload an old savegame and try it again, probally other people delete it and make it again.
    if you dont save your game very often between this proces a lot of data has to be reorderd if you save it. I think this causes the black hole
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

same. The fix seems obvious now that i've done stuff like changing water height on a tile through the hex editor and such.
    honestly just taking a few hours and playing with the hex editor is one of the best things you can do. :p
  • Gwazi%s's Photo

I'd put it in the Wiki but I never took the time to familiarize myself with it. lol

And others, I try to save often, but I'm one of those builders who gets on a roll or sets a goal and tries to complete it, which causes me to get lost and forget to save. But no matter what, its good to know how to fix a black hole if you encounter one. :p
  • JJ%s's Photo
    Zodiac formed one in my JEP the tosser :p :')

I've never had it happen to me but oh no the inexperienced guy :p

Edited by JJ, 26 January 2008 - 07:56 PM.

• zodiac%s's Photo
    Shut up, Josh. I fixed it.
  • JJ%s's Photo
    lol I was only joking :p
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    Did you use my guide? :D
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    Of course. I'd be dead in the water without it.
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    JJ's not THAT mean is he? Or is he gonna be the Capone of RCT...

Oh, and cool. Thanks. :)
  • Evil WME%s's Photo
    That makes sense Levis.

I've seen my share of these holes and even found ways to make them dissapear without the codex trainer. (not that i remember how i did it, ever..)

I do save multiple files, but honestly, i might as well just keep it down to 2 or 3. I have tons from my pro tour entry, i even have multiple ones from some of my MM entries. But what it comes down to, is that i don't work area by area, i work all over the place. When i build something i don't like one place, i probably built something i did somewhere else (or more likely, wouldn't remember exactly what i did do, and would rather not risk losing something that was dear to me..)

I do think rct is about trying, not liking, scrapping, rebuilding, etc. Or not even rebuilding and releasing ugly things for a while. Then eventually you make stuff you like, faster.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    I build all over the place as well.
    not that there's any reason for my building habits, but in the long run, I think it equals a better park since you can't point out one area as being 'older work.' Everything kind of comes together last few hours or so.... the problem being it is in fact a loooooong run till you get to have anything to show off.

Also, I'm on savefile 100 of my current project- significantly behind compared to my average. MVM was on savegame 184 and it was only 15x15. >_>
  • JJ%s's Photo
    I only keep one or two saves of the same file... Cos I don't see the point in having hundreds especially if they are all very old. I don't really scrap anything I've done though :-/
  • Levis%s's Photo

I build all over the place as well.
    not that there's any reason for my building habits, but in the long run, I think it equals a better park since you can't point out one area as being 'older work.' Everything kind of comes together last few hours or so.... the problem being it is in fact a loooooong run till you get to have anything to show off.

Also, I'm on savefile 100 of my current project- significantly behind compared to my average. MVM was on savegame 184 and it was only 15x15. >_>

my MMM the Lonely Mountain had 183 savegame files.
    gives you a slight indication about how often I save
  • Loopy%s's Photo
    I usually save quite a fair bit too. Always create a new save file before I start work on a new building or anything just incase something should go wrong. It's easy enough to just revert to it and try again that way.

Ive got quite a fair few for my current solo.
  • RMM%s's Photo
    ... what if there is nothing at all on the black hole.

EDIT: ah, just read the bottom part. any word on those yet?

Edited by RMM, 05 May 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading