General Chat / The Official "What book are you reading?" Thread

• Casimir%s's Photo
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

100/10. I just finished it for the 12th time
  • turbin3%s's Photo
    Body from Stephen King in english class.
  • MF72 %s's Photo
    Until Friday, our English class has to read Glass Menagerie, The Crucible, and Raisin in the Sun. I finished GM, and I'm reading Crucible right now, and it's not fun.
  • Sephiroth%s's Photo
    I'm currently reading the English translation of the Trigun Maximum manga series by Yasuhiro Nightow. Epic in every sense of the word. Hard to say if it's better than the anime series, as it tells the story a little differently.
  • Nokia%s's Photo
    the catcher in the rye.
  • inVersed%s's Photo

Currently reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, and will be picking up some unknown fiction novel tomorrow.

I read that a couple of years ago, but for an American History type book like that, I would suggest The Unfinished Nation by Alan Brinkley

I am currently reading Tucker Max's I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
  • Gwazi%s's Photo

Currently reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn, and will be picking up some unknown fiction novel tomorrow.

i'm about 100 pages away from finishing (took a break for finals). i just finished the chapter "Surprises"

i would recommend it to anyone and everyone, but you should definitely take it with a grain of salt, especially if you are conservative. Zinn writes in a very biased manner (and admits it), but he provides a lot of factual support and history that should be necessary for people to know. recognize and ignore the slant and you will get the most out of the book possible; a person doesn't have to hate America to realize many of the atrocities the government has committed in the past.

worth a look for sure.
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    Silmarilion by Tolkien, its great but very hard to keep track,
    if you let the book rest for more than 2 weeks you can start again because in the first 30 pages you have at least 20 key characters wich you really need to remember to get the story...
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    finished Dcotor who: judgement of the judoon the other day. surprisingly, it was a really good read, and i really enjoyed it. easy to pick up and an engaging storyline and character array.
  • Sey%s's Photo
    Homo faber by Max Frisch and Der Proceß by Franz Kafka.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    Undergound: The Tokyo Gas Attacks & The Japanese Psyche by Haruki Murakami. Its a little weird after reading some of his fiction. Or maybe I should say tame, since his fiction is pretty weird.
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    Just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for the second time in order to prepare for my English final. My favorite book I have ever had to read in school :D
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i read of mice and men. to all those who haven't read it, go out of your way to do so. it's a short read, and it FAR from outstays it's welcome. i can read it again and again. i love that book.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

i read of mice and men. to all those who haven't read it, go out of your way to do so. it's a short read, and it FAR from outstays it's welcome. i can read it again and again. i love that book.

Steinbeck is the man.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    are his other books as good?
  • Gwazi%s's Photo
    yes.

i'm reading Crime and Punishment now. its for school, but i've wanted to read it for awhile. the psychology behind Raskolnikov's actions, etc. is incredibly interesting
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Fahrenhiet 451, I loved that book, cant beleive it was written ~50 years ago.

are his other books as good?

The only one I couldn't take was The Red Pony, but Cannery Row is brilliant in its simplicity and Winter of Our Discontent is still as valid and applicable today as it was the day it was written. The Grapes of Wrath is one of my favourite books I've read, but it might be hard for non-Americans to understand the slang and jargon.

Edited by Midnight Aurora, 21 June 2010 - 07:03 PM.

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    What Every Body is Saying by Joe Navarro

Breakthrough Rapid Reading by Peter Kump

Ordering some books tonight, I'm really thinking about getting A People's History of the U.S. but I'm not 100% sure on it yet.

Ordering some books tonight, I'm really thinking about getting A People's History of the U.S. but I'm not 100% sure on it yet.

http://www.historyis...leshistory.html

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading