Contests / H2H6?

• JDP%s's Photo
    With the way work has been getting released lately I cant see how this could be a bad idea. I understand the work and preparation that goes into the contest but things have been great on the forums. I keep reading how people want to team up with each other and make the greatest park ever but it never happens (well often anyway). This could solve that problem. We also have a decent amount of newer players that imo should experience a H2H contest. I think the contest is great and brings out the best in every player.

Anyone think we should have H2H6?.. It's already going on 2 years since H2H5.
    -JDP
  • Cena%s's Photo
    H2H6, Yes please.
  • wheres_walto%s's Photo
    Has it really been that long? Wow, I agree, it might be time.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    I'm in.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    it all depends on what the admin are capable of at the moment. if they are willing, i'm so in. college and personal life permitting, of course.
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    I'd have some time until April. I'm in.

p.s.: wrong area to post this in.
  • posix%s's Photo
    I know I won't have the time to or be willing to put efforts into a H2H season at any point in the near future. 2 years? That smells like an exaggeration. Feels to me like it was last month. H2H5 was so much work that I'm glad to not be in the situation of having to do it all again. I'm sorry. I'm also dispirited by the fact that people need the contest context to have enough motivation to actually play the game, and be pressured by deadlines and a team's expectation to produce a park.

However, my part of the job for H2H5 wasn't even half as important as compared to what geewhzz did, which was the actual functional backbone of the contest. If you want to have the quality of an official ne contest, your best bet is to try and motivate him for it. And I can give you the inside info that your chances for that shouldn't look too bad.
  • bdawgtk1982%s's Photo
    Honestly, I don't feel I'm anywhere near good enough to be in a contest, but I think it would be nice to dip my feet into the water and see how things go.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Like others, I feel H2H6 would be awesome. At the same time, productivity is at a high right now, and contests tend to be "solo-killers," as I know all too well from H2H5 experience. I'm happy either way, contest or no contest. The fact that NE4 is here and that the community's still thriving is good enough for me.

That being said, Hurricanes 4 Life!
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    Im up for an H2H6 and to captain again. I think we can start with a sign up after the NE Awards in Jan/Feb, draft sometime in Feb, then have the first weeks parks due around April or even May. I just want to see us get about 1-2 month after the draft to do the bulk of the building, then have the deadlines starting to come during the Summer.

If you guys need any help running the contest I have done that in the past and I can help again.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Posix, in all honesty, the contest looks quite simple from the outside. A couple of forums, topics and screenshots; most work is invisible, apparently. There must be a way to economize the whole backstage process...
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    He might mean the voting codes, I can see how that can be time consuming.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Liampie, in all honesty, you have no idea.

But given that we had done so much stuff for H2H5 last time, it would probably be less work this time.
  • Cena%s's Photo

He might mean the voting codes, I can see how that can be time consuming.

That system was made by Levis if I remember correct.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Liampie, in all honesty, you have no idea.

I know.
  • Levis%s's Photo

That system was made by Levis if I remember correct.

nope. I only gave the theory on how it should work. they made it.

but that should still be in place or could be implemented pretty easy probally cause it was made before an only need to be converted to the new site.
    The hardest part is making the schedule. who is gonna play who etc. and thinking about how to make it as fair as possible. also releasing the things and calling the scores etc takes time. Also checking the part to see if they fit all rules etc. counting tiles etc, and controlling everything, so you know for sure no team is lacking.

if the NE crew really isn't capable atm which I can fully understand we could always try a h2h5.5 ;)
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    I'm in dudes and I really want to turn out some kick-ass work for the team I'd be drafted in...
  • K0NG%s's Photo
    I have a feeling that H2H6 just might happen around the two-year anniversary of the start of H2H5.
  • posix%s's Photo
    So let me brainstorm into the work that would need to be done. For isntance creating team logos. Few people can do this, although I would hope this job could be spread among the logo people. We could submit fake submissions where the park is called "Hurricanes2010 Logo" and delete the submission once someone has done the logo. Another task is to find good captains. You need to talk to people, try to find out if they will do a good job like Kumba who has shown this over several seasons, or if they will do a not so good job, like going awol in the middle of the schedule (magnus, this is in no way meant negatively towards you personally. I am still very well aware of your reasons and totally respect them. I was just looking for an example). New team forums and new team permissions have to be created and configured. This is quite time consuming, boring and tedious as it has to be done by hand in the ACP. The H2H rules will need some updating. Ideally they would be discussed in a group chat where a group of experts analyse what has gone wrong last time and what needs improvement. Someone has to word all the consent that is reached into text to be used in the "H2H6 Rules" topic. It would also be desirable to shorten the rules so members who are participating in their first H2H life's a bit easier. Coming up with the schedule in theory isn't much to do, what's more work is styling it up in nice bbcode for another of the official H2H6 topics. Last time I spent forever on this job. Looking back now, I see we used a bbcode+html combo in these topics. The html had to be updated millions of times before it would work across all of the terrible different skins of NE3 that people wouldn't let us disable .... aaaah, what idealist newly-admined blood was running through my veins back then. Then the draft needs to be held at some point. Again, all the info that comes out of it must be published. After the draft people want to change teams, and captains want to do changes to their roster. Someone has to manage and update this frequently. Last time it was very hard for me to keep track of who had said what because captains didn't always use the "Captain's Lounge" subforum intended for this and instead talked via IM or PMs and not always involving everyone concerned, etc. Someone also has to update the H2H5 to an H2H6 bench. I would prefer geewhzz to do this because he's very skilled in this department.

This is the kind of stuff I can think of from the top of my head and it's only looking at pre-contest jobs. There is more while the contest actually runs like for instance the tedious job of the vote codes mentioned before. The thing is just that if we do a contest, we want it to be good and go all the way. There are too many examples of failed contests that lacked the exclusivity to live.

Please do not underestimate it or say it's simple. There is money paid for you to be able to visit the site plus continuous release prep jobs are done every day, which have to continue during the whole contest preparation. I find it encouraging to see people ask for more of the site because I interpret it that they enjoy what's already there which is nice to know. But to keep an admin calm and healthy, please try to remain humble when asking for all the work entailed in what essentially is your "contest service".
  • Fisch%s's Photo
    sounds fun!
    I can only suggest to let Kumba be captain again. I'm not kidding with saying this. Kumba did so much for the team.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading