Music Forum / Dubstep

• Austin55%s's Photo
    I've really been getting into this stuff lately, but its such a big scene I don't really know what to look for. Ive seen lots of information about it spread around the forums but IDK where to start looking. Maybe we could consolidate some of that in here.
    Really, I've liked anything that's deep (aka, sounds good through the sub woofers I have in my truck) and catchy.
    Slam by Pendulum has always been a favorite though thats more D&B. I absolutely love This.

Any suggestions or advice?
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    It's a genre of music I must admit I have only dipped my toe into recently. but still all over this remix

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SZ3UJKxeFco
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    Was wondering when a thread for this would pop up. I was actually thinking about making one myself.

When i first got into Dubstep, I listened to Datsik, Excision and Chrispy, as well as Crissy Criss' Kick Snare. So yea, I loved Chrispy's song Inspector Gadget, his Rude Boy remix and Predator, but after listening to Shambhala 2010...everything else went from there, blowing all that Chripsy stuff out of the water. Excision puts together a mix of all the best songs and remixes from the artists who are produced by his record label, Rottun Recordings, calling it Shambhala. He's done it in 2008, 2009, and this past year. Shambhala 2010 is like 1:30mins long of absolute epicness. Its the new wave of dubstep, not the old Skream and soft stuff like that. This is what got me into guys like Liquid Stranger, Ajapai, and of course Downlink among others. I dont even listen to the old stuff anymore, Liquid Stranger, Diesel and Downlink completely dominate my playlists. But anyways, here's the most played Dubstep on my iPod:

Liquid Stranger-
    -Mechanoid Mixdown (his Shambhala-esque mega mix)
    -Pressurize
    -Blood Suckers
    -Ripple (by far, imo, his best song, others think so too: was number 1 on Beatport for 2 months)
    -Babylon Beast (featured in the Mechanoid Mixdown)
    -Bully
    -Exit the Vault
    -Rocket Fuel
    -Destroy Him, My Robots
    -Get to the Point VIP

Downlink-
    -Containment Failure (aka Biohazard, Warning)
    -Factory (my favorite dubstep song)
    -Ignition
    -Gamma Ray
    -Crippled Camel (a heavier version of LS' Ripple)
    -Station Six

Diesel-
    -Panic Attack
    -Lead me to Destruction

Excision-
    -Calypso (featuring Datsik)
    -Get to the Point (ft. Liquid Stranger)

Oh, and don't get into the mainstream skrillex stuff (sorry dotro) its barely even classifiable as dubstep...

Now, I'm more into Drum and Bass to be honest. Pendulum is by far the best DnB artist on the planet. Their new album Immersion is still highly played on my ipod. Older songs by them like Propane Nightmares, Hold Your Color, Granite and Blood Sugar are still really good too. Theyre definetly a band worth a few listens. SubFocus and Netsky are also pretty good in the DnB world.

Well, enjoy if you decide to check this stuff out. Lemme know whatcha guys think.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Haha, we seem to have taken opposite routes. I've been listening to Pendulum and Subfocus for the past year now, and now getting into Dubstep.
    I'll take a look at all those.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    TC - Concrete (Feat. Dread MC) = one of my favorite dubstep-songs.

Witchcraft (Rob Swire's Drum-Step Mix) , even though it's not dubstep I think you'll like it as well.

Dubstep isn't my prior music genre but I like to hear it once in a while.
    It's different than other music and it's really refreshing imo.
  • Cole%s's Photo
    Never been a fan of the new 'filthy' stuff.

Skream:
    - Rutten
    - Stagger
    - Summer Dreams
    - Glamma
    - Wobble That Gut
    - Night Vision (remix)

Benga:
    - Crunked Up
    - Night (with Coki)

Digital Mystikz: (aka Coki and Mala)
    - Eyez
    - Earth a Run Red
    - Haunted
    - Neverland

Coki:
    - Tortured
    - Spongebob

Mala:
    - Alicia
    - Forgive

Jack Sparrow:
    - Salvation
    - Terminal
    - All Yours (remix)

Loefah:
    - Mud
    - The Goat Stare
    - Disco Rekah

Pinch:
    - The Boxer
    - Croydon House

Joker:
    - Digidesign
    - Purple City
    - The Vision

Kromestar:
    - Get Up
    - Aggravation
    - Budwise

Quest:
    - The Seafront
    - Deep Inside

N-type:
    - Dark Matter
    - Conscious (with Cyrus)

Silkie:
    - Wonder
    - Planet X
    - Beauty

Joy Orbison:
    - Wet Look
    - Hyph Mngo

Zomby:
    - Digital Fauna
    - Natalia's Song

V.I.V.E.K.:
    - The Big Bang
    - Pulse
    - Eyes Down

Tunnidge:
    - Face Melt
    - Dark Skies

2562:
    - Dinosaur

Scuba:
    - Tell Her
    - Three Sided Shape

Burial:
    - Archangel
    - Street Halo
    - Untrue

:)
  • Metropole%s's Photo
    I'm more of a Drum n' Bass guy myself, but I do dabble a little into Dubstep, more the liquid kinda stuff, though I do have a soft spot for Rusko. Following Roomie's link, a found another tune on the same channel that is really good:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

tdub: I'll take a look at some of your suggestions and let you know what I think.
  • Austin55%s's Photo
    Another thing some D&B and DUB people might look into is Electronica, got a free Scion sampler CD at a car show and its been at the top of my playlist since. Obviously, it was made for poeple who like heavy bass from the cars, which is exactly what I use it for. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zrHeFiIahKg
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    I too just started getting into dubstep... Over the past month i have become a pretty big Skrillex fan.

I also like Rusko, Doctor P, Ephixa and Tek-One... all of them are pretty talented dubstep producers IMO
  • RRP%s's Photo
    Dubstep reminds me of a washing machine. When i'm doing the washing i close the doors so i can't hear it
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    as a music fan i think all dubstep sounds the same.
  • rct2isboss%s's Photo
    ^ agreed i like cinema remix though
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    Faithless - Sun to me (Emalkay Dubstep remix)
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    Skrillex sucks imo. Its not real dubstep, its like random noises...

@RRP-I've likened some of it to Transformers having sex... (see anything by Ajapai)

@Chorkles- Rob Swire's dubstep mix of his own song, Witchcraft, is pretty good. Check that one out too guys.
  • Cole%s's Photo
    I've always hated brostep. I don't know why, but I only like old school (skream, dmz, pinch, etc.)
  • Roomie%s's Photo

Dubstep reminds me of a washing machine. When i'm doing the washing i close the doors so i can't hear it

I literally just choked on my whisky....
  • inVersed%s's Photo
    I dont know if its cool to not like Skrillex because he is mainsteam and is considered a sellout, but as a pretty in tuned with music making and the music world I would say its hard to deny the quality of Skrillex's musical composition and catchiness. Take "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites", his most popular song, it is extremely well composed and technically a very quality songs.

People point to Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as a brilliant album because how it transcends genres and because of how well composed each song is. I would argue from a general music perspective, "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites", falls into this category because the quality of the composition of each song on that album is on par if not better than the composition of MBDTF.

And last I check aren't loud noises part of making a filthy drop in dubstep? I am not saying that sarcastically but asking because I just started listening to dubstep
  • Dotrobot%s's Photo
    Skrillex doesn't suck :l.

Yes he is not 100% dubstep. But if he's at least 50% dubstep he should be considered a dubstep musiscian. Where I live dubstep is pretty much unknown and skrillex is nothing but a cool name to everybody. I do not think he is mainstream at all just because he has a few more thousands of views on youtube then other dubstep artists.

The reason I like skrillex is so much is that he's not an organized type of dubstep like Bar 9. Skrillex's music is hybrid and imo he pulls it off very well. I just cannot understand why people call skrillex's music random noises. It's actually very well composed, just because he has techno and club elements mixed together doesn't mean it's random.

I have no form of biased opinion when it comes to dubstep. I love all types of it. Next to skrillex, bar 9 is my next favorite artist. Which is almost the exact opposite of skrillex since he has defined drops, organized wobbles unlike Skrillex whose music is all over the place (Ideal type of partying music).

Skrillex was in lots of screamo bands before he got into the dubstep scene. That might explain why his music is exciting and all over the place.

If you still think skrillex's music is rubbish and random. I advise you to check out some of his less famous songs.
    -This is a shark attack
    -Weekends
    -My name is skrillex(original)

As one of the fanboys would say. Skrillex is not pure dubstep. Skrillex is skrillex.
  • inVersed%s's Photo

Skrillex doesn't suck :l.

Yes he is not 100% dubstep. But if he's at least 50% dubstep he should be considered a dubstep musiscian. Where I live dubstep is pretty much unknown and skrillex is nothing but a cool name to everybody.

The reason I like skrillex is so much is that he's not an organized type of dubstep like Bar 9. Skrillex's music is hybrid and imo he pulls it off very well. I just cannot understand why people call skrillex's music random noises. It's actually very well composed, just because he has techno and club elements mixed together doesn't mean it's random.

I have no form of biased opinion when it comes to dubstep. I love all types of it. Next to skrillex, bar 9 is my next favorite artist. Which is almost the exact opposite of skrillex since he has defined drops, organized wobbles unlike Skrillex whose music is all over the place (Ideal type of partying music).

Skrillex was in lots of screamo bands before he got into the dubstep scene. That might explain why his music is exciting and all over the place.

As one of the fanboys would say. Skrillex is not pure dubstep. Skrillex is skrillex.

Thats exactly what I what I was saying, part of what makes Skrillex a great artist in my opinion is the way his music transends genres and intertwines a little bit of so many different sounds both with ease and eloquently
  • Cole%s's Photo

It's actually very well composed, just because he has techno and club elements mixed together doesn't mean it's random.

I don't think that you know what techno is. None of Skrillex's songs have anything close to techno in them.

I would hardly say they're exact opposites actually, lol. They both fall in the filth/brostep category. Take a song like S.M.N.S., and compare it to a song like Skream - Glamma or Jack Sparrow - Salvation. THOSE, would be considered exact opposites ;)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading