Related Games / No Limits

• MorganFan%s's Photo
    I tried Newton2 a year ago and completely trashed it because it made no sense to me. Handbuilder forever.
  • SupraSix%s's Photo
    When I first branched out from hand building coasters I was using FVDs which were basically the prototype of force based building. The key to newton is knowing how to use multi-zones and timing your force and banking transitions off of the speed the ride is going. So for a twisted drop you have to use very gradual transitions at the top because the train is traveling so slow. Newton also has a built in smoother which can help in some cases. There is definitely a learning process but once you get the hang of how the program works it's just amazing what you can build. If anybody needs help I'd be more than happy to give more tips, just send me a PM.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I guess I just have to keep getting majorly frustrated at it before I get any better :p
  • SupraSix%s's Photo
    That's the spirit!
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    So I've got the hang of it slightly now, I wanted to go down a slightly unusual route so it's a Gerstlauer Launched Invert.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Ling%s's Photo
    I really like it, but your connectors and angled beams feel too thin.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    ^Yeah, I was thinking that myself, btw Ling do you know of anywhere else besides NL-Exchange to post NL stuff? It just seems that the site is lacking in activity at the moment.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    It's usually pretty quiet over there. NoLimits has kind of died in popularity over the years. You could try the nolimits subreddit, but they tend to be the casual YouTube "lol look at this 1000000000ft drop" crowd.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    It just seems that one site had everyone and the site closed and every kind of gave up and forgot about the game. Makes me think what could happen if the same happened here.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    It didn't close. I used to frequent it a lot more than I do now, but their forums still seem pretty active.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I meant CoasterSims closed, basically the one and only NL site, then it closed and the community just disappeared into smaller almost non-existant sub groups.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Oh, never even heard of that website. But pretty much the same thing has happened to all roller coaster design fansites over the years. RCT, NoLimits, Scream Machines, and to a much lesser extent things like Hyper Rails and Ultimate Ride. They only stick around for so long. I'm surprised the RCT community has stuck around for this long (and I didn't even find it until five or six years after it was kick-started).
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Which I find odd considering how many members of general coaster sites there are. You'd think more fans of theme parks and coasters would be interested in design them.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Most people I know who like theme parks consider themselves "above" RCT or think it's too complex to get in to (particularly NoLimits). There are still a lot of people that play, but they're what I refer to as the "YouTube" crowd - the people that spend ten seconds slapping together ultra-extreme designs and posting videos of them telling everyone else to praise the awesomeness of it. /r/RCT has something like 4000 subscribers, but only a handful post, and only two or three bother to put any kind of effort into anything. The NoLimits sub is pretty similar. The generation that grew up with the games/programs are losing their drive or interest, and the new generation just isn't picking it up in the same way.
  • A.S.Coasters%s's Photo
    The 'slapped together' quality of rides that Ling was referring to is also a result of people new to Newton 2, because they either don't have good skill at finding technical flaws or they think "oh it's made in newton, it'll be a good track." For a beginner to Newton you're actually doing really well, Louis, but unfortunately a lot of people aren't like that.
  • Ling%s's Photo
    I was actually talking about the RCT community there, not NL. I guess it still stands though.

Reddit has been down for an hour now, otherwise I'd link some stuff to show exactly what I mean.
  • Phatage%s's Photo
    I don't know how often he visits this site anymore, but I just downloaded SupraSix's coaster that he showed earlier in this thread:

http://www.coastercr...ge/detail/19456

I wrote a review there but I'll say here that this is honestly one of the best NL tracks I've ever seen. Hopefully for those of you who have been dabbling into NL and Newton, you'll have an added appreciation for just how hard it is to be so pinpoint in track shaping as he was in this design. The coaster itself is also a prime example of how somebody can be really inspired by a real life ride(s) but still create something new and unique, so it's worth downloading even if you don't really know the ins and outs of NL.
  • panther33%s's Photo
    Can we get a pov or offride for us non-No Limits guys? That coaster looks insane.
  • SupraSix%s's Photo
    Just thought I'd post my new coaster Optic.
    Coastercrazy
    NL-E
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Loved it Supra. Keep it up bud.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading