Theme Park Discussion / Where is Roomie?

• Roomie%s's Photo
    Hey guys. Quite a few of you ofen ask why my little NE flag is always changing and why I never seem to be in one country too long. No It's not because I'm a criminal mastermind, although that would be kind of cool.

I work for as an offshore geophysicist/Surveyor which means I get to travel a fair bit with work. I'm currently up in the arctic circle off the coast of Greenland which is somewhere very few people get to go so I thought I'd post some pictures.

We are currently working on doing a survey of the sea floor

Posted Image
    This is the Neptune while she was sat in Nuuk (Capital of Greenland), she will be my home for around 2 months. Nice ship if a little small.

Posted Image
    We mobilised the boat in Akyeryi in Iceland. A beautiful town at the end of a Fjord.

Posted Image
    We stopped in Nuuk for a few hours to pick up Marine Mammal Observers and Ice Observers. It really is a strange town in the middle of nowhere yet somehow thriving.

Posted Image
    heading up into the arctic circle the sunsets started to last for hours. (We now have 24hour daylight which is hard to get used to.)

Posted Image
    The iceburgs are truely spectacular and some are so big they just boggle the mind.

Posted Image
    This is part of what we are up here for. here we are deploying what is known as a wavescan buoy. it will sit up here for a year and monitor everything from wave heigh and current direction (throughout the 700m water column) to wind speed and air temp. It then relays this via satellite back to us.

Posted Image
    This is where I am today. The first survey site is a bit busy with passing Icebergs so we have headed South to tryanother one.

Hopefull I shall get some more shots over the next few weeks. not seen a Polar Bear yet but have seen a few Whales and Seals around.
  • Hex%s's Photo
    The sunsets are beautiful.
  • Cole%s's Photo
    that's fucking awesome.

May I ask where else in the world you have been for work?
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    In the last 3 years I've been lucky enough (or unlucky enough in some respects) to goto the following with work

France,
    Portugal,
    Spain,
    Morocco,
    Senegal,
    Libya,
    Bulgaria,
    Greece,
    Libya,
    Gabon,
    United Arab Emirates,
    Iceland,
    Greenland,

I'm pretty lucky in that respect. But being away from friends and family for months at a time can be a killer.
  • posix%s's Photo
    i find this fascinating.
  • gir%s's Photo
    Me too. Lucky duck. I do get sea sick though, so I would need to find my sea legs if I ever did anything like this.
  • GigaG%s's Photo
    Cool - Beautiful sunset.

Roomie - I know you've been on lots of boats, but when was the last time you got sea sick?
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Where is Roomie?

- I wonder where that roomie has gone.
    You did love him so. You looked after him like a son.
    - And he went... wherever I did go...

"Is he in the cupboard?"

Where can that roomie be?

"He's behind the sofa!"

Oooh, roomie, roomie, roomie room!
    A-roomie, a-roomie, a-roomie, ooooooh!
    - He went wherever I did go...

"Look up her trunk!
    Yeah, he's hidden in her trousers!"
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    Would it be possible to blow some of those gorgeous pictures up to 1920x1080 or even 3840x1080 in size? ^^
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    I'm so jealous of your travelling experience !
    You take some nice pictures too !
  • Milo%s's Photo
    Where in the world is Roomie Sandiego?
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Thanks for all the comments guys. Much appriciated. We are in the dull bit of the job now. Running loads of survey lines with some seismic equipment (to get coverage we essentially run in a similar way to ploughing a field in lines) This allows us to get an idea of what the rock type is down to around 1km below the sea bed.

Would it be possible to blow some of those gorgeous pictures up to 1920x1080 or even 3840x1080 in size? ^^

I have all of the images in their original sizes for anyone who may like them. They have all been taken with my new Canon 500D which i got for this trip.
    The panoramas are all varying sizes though. For example the sunset with the boat on the right is 4246 x 1455

This lovely thing floated past yesterday. Wish I could have a glass of whisky with some Iceberg in it.... Unfortunatly it's a dry (no alcohol) boat :*(

Posted Image
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    this made me think of the videoclip of "a beautiful lie", it looks like such a beautiful and serene place/country to be and it looks like you really understand how big nature can be when seeing those. the pictures are gorgeous and I bet these views are breathtaking in RL
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Hey guys

Still working away up here. We've finished with the metocean stuff and are now doing a more typical survey using a sidescan (essentially a radar for the sea floor)
    Posted Image

It allows us to get a pretty good idea of whats down there but it takes a pretty long time to do. Nice image of a wreck below using SSS (Not on this survey but it gives a nice idea)
    Posted Image

Heres some of the engineers recovering the Seismic equipment used for seeing what types of rock are under the sea floor. (this was taken about midnight).
    Posted Image

Still plenty of Ice around though. This is one of my fav pics of the area.
    Posted Image

Trying not to recreate the film Titanic :p
  • Casimir%s's Photo
    If I could swim (long story), this would actually be a job I'd absolutely be interested in. How long are the individual trips (at an average)?
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Today in school, my teacher told me that we're gonna study (kinda) what you do in geography class this year !
  • Roomie%s's Photo
    Hey all.
    As you may have noticed my flag keeps changing again.
    And as a few of you have asked where I am this time I decided to post a few pics. I'm currently in Turkmenistan (just north of Iran) and it couldn't be more different to Greenland.

Turkmenistan is probably among the worst but one of the more random countries I've visited. The capital Ashgabat is crazily clean and all white marble but the coast and oil fields are horribly kept and in a pretty run down state. Environmentalists need not apply. Most pics on land were taken with my mobile as you need a permit from the government to take most pictures and I only got one for my SLR as i went offshore.

Posted Image
    If you like giant white marble buildings then Ashgabat is the place for you.

Posted Image
    At least there is a credit here (it's not great)... picture from the RCDB.

Posted Image
    The camp i stayed in for the first 4 weeks was essentially a cross between Butlins (A british holiday camp) and Guantanamo Bay. Needless to say I've stayed in nicer places.

Posted Image
    Likely the ship is not the best but she's a decent enough vessel. It's a drill ship although we are only using her for survey activities.

Posted Image
    The Oilfields are not in great nick.

Posted Image
    A jack up rig here can be seen working on another rig in the area. When its done the rig can lower itself into the water, lift the legs & float off into the sunset.

Posted Image
    This probably isn't healthy....

Posted Image
    And for now I leave you with this sunset as I get on with my work. :)
  • FredD%s's Photo
    Damn you have a cool job :o
  • RCTER2%s's Photo
    Yes, really cool Roomie!
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Not much to say other than AWESOME. Keep us updated about your adventures! :)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading