News / NE Survey

1 - Write-ups should be a requirement for important parks before they are released.

2 - Logos should be a requirement for important parks before they are released.

3 - Great screens are more entertaining than viewing the respective park in-game.

4 - The NE accolades are useful indicators for RCT quality.

5 - When there's a great park I want to open it in-game. Looking at screens is not enough.

6 - Improving my current rank motivates me to finish parks.

7 - Winning the NE Design or NE Spotlight accolade motivates me to finish parks.

8 - Improving my hall of fame ranking motivates me to finish parks.

9 - The opinions that others will post on my park motivate me to finish parks.

10 - Placing high in official NE contests motivates me to finish parks.

11 - The above questions do not capture what really motivates me to finish parks.

• ivo%s's Photo
    I agree with you that loads of mediocore releases are less worth than a qualitly release but I would be pretty hard to express that into the points system. Than you need a logarithm scale. But I think that is to much... The biggest difference with quality and mediocore is that those quality are remembered by the community. And that is the biggest honor you can achieve.

And werent you finishing that halloween park in about a week eh?
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    Thanks for jumping on me K0NG, with no reason but to throw insult. Cena had a logical point and used me as an example, you just downright insulted me, my submissions and my skill level.

I thank you for making me realise that all of my submissions are mediocre and that if you lowered your standards drastically you would be able to have as many submissions as me.

I bow down to you and your god-like design submission. I am not worthy of being in your presence.

4 simple words:

Fuck you, you cunt.
  • Cena%s's Photo

In regards to Cena's "diss" of Louis for his multiple, mediocre designs but nothing else...I've said before that I thought the majority of Louis' designs were rather weak. That's one of the main reasons that I really like the tiered "Design" idea. I mean...honestly, I could have as many design accolades as Louis if I lowered my standards drastically. I currently have one accolade in total (that scored 91.54 as compared to his average of 69.08...with a high of 74.62) because I won't. Ever. Consistent mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded the same as straight-up "kick your fucking ass when I do release something because I actually care about quality".

Quality releases take time and dedication. And should be rewarded justly. Mediocrity can be accomplished in a week. If you dispute this, just say so and I'll prove you wrong. In about a week. Once.

Some of us care a fucking lot about what we release...others, not so much. As long as it gets some attention.

K0NG, I never said anything about the quality of his releases, and before this gets out of hand, it was only used as an example. I think the quality of a player should be based on the average percentage he scores for his releases.
  • -Piggynator-%s's Photo
    my parks ar in the database for like 3 weeks now and the admins havent accepteded yet its really pissing me of
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    ^The admins are doing this for free.
    You'll just have to accept the fact that they can't update everything every day, for they deserve time for personal things and a job/school as well.
  • RCTMASTA%s's Photo
    ^
    ^...Seriously, calm down. And is this really the time to gripe about that, when they've just finished organizing and judging a contest? Give them a break, they're only human.

On topic...
    Somehow, I find that tired Design idea quite appealing.
    And honestly, that's one of the only things I find that you could change about the site.

Except the "Workbench" category in the NEDB, as I've already suggested.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    We are working towards implementing workbenches to the NEDB. Whether this means a new category or just in the creator's profile.

And Piggy, if it's pissing you off that much don't submit next time. With an attitude like that your lucky we are even going to take the time to approve your submissions.
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    i think atm this thread goes in a very wrong direction. posix wanted to hear the opinions of the community, that there is the biggest possible acceptance on the next changes and now everyone is just dissing each other... no good...
  • posix%s's Photo
    I have to say I like the tiered designs, too.

This topic of too many mediocre releases interests me. I find low scoring accolades that naturally are more frequent make the site a bit boring. It has resulted in me rarely opening releases because they don't seem worth the pain of running RCT2. (Off-topic: on this I need to link a topic I found yesterday while searching the site for workbenches so far released on NE - as indeed, we plan to roll out an update regarding workbenches, soon, hopefully. It gave me a whole-hearted wonderful laugh and likewise a bitter feeling of nostalgia about the good old RCT1-only days of NE: mantis gives up)

Back on topic: the question whether we want to keep the points or not somewhat lingers in the air. The problem I see with them is they are just too static. If we played a winner/loser game in a "match" like character, there would probably be much more events to update the rankings and make them more lively. But the goal of RCT is not to build an army of rollercoasters and eliminate your opponents. We play for artistry, so the only way to measure performance is through a jury of some sort, that determines good from bad, like in gymnastics, diving, dance, or any other artistic sport. The idea to introduce an accolade panel came to me when I watched a diving contest selecting candidates for the '08 Olympics. I think the score system we have is very useful and a helpful indicator for RCT quality. The points and multipliers used to generate a ranking are not as successful as I had hoped, but I'll think again once I evaluate the poll.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    have you decided that the plan to abolish designs is too far fetched, then, posix?
  • posix%s's Photo
    abolish?
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    what's about a new and leaner voting pool? i think the question "new scoring system or h2h6?" would fit for the whole thing imo...
  • CoasterForce%s's Photo
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say: why not abolish designs and replace them with a sort of "mini park" category? I dunno, but when I reflect on the most memorable RCT coasters I've seen, I do not think about designs. I think about them in association with a park. I've always been a firm believer that if you have a really good coaster layout, it is a complete WASTE to release it as a design and not in a larger park. Now, I'm not advocating that smaller parks should be prohibited, but perhaps we should replace the design category with a "H2H-size park" category. Think about parks like Erwindale, Battlefield RCT, or even some recent greats-Lenox Mall, etc. These are smaller projects--60x60ish, bigger than designs but not large "solo" undertakings--and ARE memorable. The fact is, designs are NOT memorable.

My opinion.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    I agree with Posix. I don't download Mediocre releases at all. Only stuff that's really interesting. Sure it's nice for members to get an accolade but the amount of forgettable designs (say below 75%) is just really high.

The point system is fine and encourages people, but still the site has to offer a certain standard imo. The multiplicators need some work, as Cena stated. But overall I'm happy as it is.

"MFG"
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say: why not abolish designs and replace them with a sort of "mini park" category? I dunno, but when I reflect on the most memorable RCT coasters I've seen, I do not think about designs. I think about them in association with a park. I've always been a firm believer that if you have a really good coaster layout, it is a complete WASTE to release it as a design and not in a larger park. Now, I'm not advocating that smaller parks should be prohibited, but perhaps we should replace the design category with a "H2H-size park" category. Think about parks like Erwindale, Battlefield RCT, or even some recent greats-Lenox Mall, etc. These are smaller projects--60x60ish, bigger than designs but not large "solo" undertakings--and ARE memorable. The fact is, designs are NOT memorable.

My opinion.

I disagree quite strongly. Designs can be very memorable if they are of sufficient quality: Vulture, El Encierro, and the latest from NEDC are all memorable and part of RCT history now. Mention their names and people will instantly recall them. The problem is as 5dave stated, that only the high releases will be remembered for years to come. Mediocre releases are just that: mediocre. It is the same whether it's a design or a bronze park. I think that we need to implement the bronze-silver-gold-spotlight ranking for designs as well as Cena suggested, but make them worth less in points than their respective rankings in bronze-silver-gold-spotlight parks. And perhaps raise the bar a little for a heftier requirement, and put more effort into the release preps of spotlights and gold parks vs. bronze/silver parks.
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    that are all good points, but as i mentioned, the resources are limited and each change at the database, scoring system, etc. will make h2h6 happen later and later. and imo h2h6 would help the community in nearly each point the most. a soon h2h6 would boost the activity, the quantity, the quality, the teamwork and the finished results more than anything else.
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I can confirm 100% that H2H6 will not happen until next year, if it does happen. So we can kill that discussion now before it gets out of hand.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    if only there was pepper spray but for the internet.
  • prodigy%s's Photo
    who you wanna attac with this pepper spray?
  • K0NG%s's Photo

Thanks for jumping on me K0NG, with no reason but to throw insult. Cena had a logical point and used me as an example, you just downright insulted me, my submissions and my skill level.

I thank you for making me realise that all of my submissions are mediocre and that if you lowered your standards drastically you would be able to have as many submissions as me.

I bow down to you and your god-like design submission. I am not worthy of being in your presence.

4 simple words:

Fuck you, you cunt.

Dude, my intention wasn't to imply that you "aren't worthy of being in my presence" at all. It was that, and I've said this many times, you yourself lowered your standards with those releases. That was what always bothered me about them...the fact that I know you're a better player than those designs would indicate. I thought that Chimei was so close to being GREAT...had you just held on to it a little longer and added a few extra touches to it. After that, it just seemed to me that you grew tired of building on the majority of your designs and just said "ehhh, this is good enough to grab an accolade...why bother continuing on if I don't really need to". And, it showed in the votes they received. Which is part of my reasoning that having tiered Design levels would motivate some people to push a little harder or a little longer to shoot for a higher award.

BTW...I'll have to pass on your offer but I do appreciate the loving terms of endearment.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading