Theme Park Discussion / The Official "What's Your Favorite Coaster" Thread

• FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    I can't believe we don't have a topic for this. Forgive me if there is already one, but i dug around for posts in this forum over a year old and didn't find anything. If there is, i'm sure us Coaster lovers won't mind reviewing, hehe

What is Your Favorite Coaster you have been on? Why?

I'm very big on Tall and Fast, thrills me more than a bundle of loops, so in that vein

my #1: El Toro-Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, New Jersey

-can't get enough of that first drop, or just the amazing speed and smoothness for a woodie. This is, IMO, one of the best improved wooden coasters, all the curves and beauty of older woodies, but with improved smoothness and technology of modern coasters.

my #2: Millennium Force, Cedar Point

-That first hills speed and size, along with a smooth ride

FK
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    #1 - X(not X2) - The first time I ever rode X was at midnight and it was freezing outside. Not being able to see ANYTHING as well as having no idea where you are going in the cold is the most insane adrenaline rush I have ever had. Also - X is better than X2 IMO because the music on the lift makes the ride much less intense.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    I haven't been on many roller coasters so my selection is pretty limited... but of the ones I have been on:

Favorite coaster: X2
    The first drop is like nothing I've ever experienced on a ride before. Although a bit rough now, the new effects help a lot (love the fire!).

Favorite Woody:
    Ghostrider (before it started sucking)
    Ghostrider used to be such a great rough and tumble kind of ride, but now it's just a painful ride. Hope they do some maintenance on this one as it used to be my favorite woody.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Steel: Maverick @ Cedar Point
    Great g's, both positive and negative. Deceptive because of its height and for the fact that much of the layout cannot be seen from the general public viewing areas. The launch is great. Not sure if they still have the lights and smoke effects in the tunnel but those were awesome when I rode it back in 2007/2008. Intamin <3

Wood: Apocalypse @ Six Flags Magic Mountain
    Again, amazing g's, the highlight are more of the negative g's though. The bunny hop after the first drop is just amazing every time. Amazingly this ride usually has a very minimal wait time (probably because much of the general public still thinks that it's Pscyclone from their visits years ago). The station fly through will intimidate riders and you can definitely tell who's an Apocalypse virgin when they are startled by the screams. I could ride this day in and day out. This is by far my favorite coaster at the park and it never disappoints. GCI <3
  • Ling%s's Photo
    Steel, it's a tie between Riddler's Revenge, Air, and Kraken (SWO).

Wood... tie between original Ghostrider and Apocalypse (SFMM).
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    I've forgotten now much I enjoyed apocalypse. Again, similar to toro, I just love how smooth newer woodies can be. I was surprised by that when I visited magic mountain a year ago. I was also REALLY surprised by that new green latern thing. My dad complained about something to a security guard, and somehow got us past a 2 hour line as it was new. Ridiculously simple track, but unbelievable g's on that thing. Not a pretty coaster, but I had passed it off as a spiny headache. Boy was I surprised.

FK
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    I'd also like to add:

My favorite ride that isn't a roller coaster - ANY INTAMIN DROP TOWER RIDE
  • funkeymon%s's Photo
    Steel: Stormrunner at Hershey
    Wood: Phoenix at Knoebles
  • RCT2day%s's Photo
    Steel: Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens Tampa (I feel it's so underated, great launches, incredible path/land/water interactions, some air-time)
    Wood: Boulderdash at Lake Compounce (beautiful scenery passing by at high speeds)

Honorary mention: Skyrush at Hershey Park (it's nearly perfect with the exception of the restriants on the legs)
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    Cheetah Hunt is right near the top for me.

Although my favorite[s] would have to be either Kraken/Montu/Incredible Hulk. Can't honestly pick just one!

BUT when it comes down to it, Space Mountain will forever be my all time favorite:]
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    Steel, easyly Black mamba in Phantasialand, Awesome theming and great ride experience overall

wood, Anaconda in walibi france, don't remember wich park, but biggest in europe and the first drop just doesn't end...
  • Maverix%s's Photo
    Steel: Maverick, about as perfect I ride I've been on. It has everything, speed, an insane drop, tons of airtime, quick transitions, intense turns, inversions, and the greatest stengel dive ever.

Wood: Haven't been on to many wooden coasters but Lightning Racers is the best I've been on. Both sides are great rides in their own respect and the dueling aspect just takes that up a notch.
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    Steel: Intimidator 305. Most intense coaster I've ever been on, and soon I will ride it without the trims.

Wood: Tie between Lightning Racer and Grizzly at KD. Grizzly is the most underrated coaster in the world, it ran amazing when I went in 2010.
  • MCI%s's Photo
    Steel:Expedition GeForce @ HolidayPark
    Wood: Wodan-Timbur Coaster @ EuropPark.

@Belgian Guy: The park is called Walygator now, I think. Great Ride, too but very slow when I rode it last year.
  • A.S.Coasters%s's Photo
    Steel- Top Thrill Dragster
    I love everything about it except for the duration of the ride.

Wood- Son of Beast
    It may not be open but right now but, wow was it a blast.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Steel: New Texas Giant
    (Technically, this is steel. That's the way it's being classified in the DB.)

Wood: Renegade
  • BC(rct2)%s's Photo
    I didn't ride an adult coaster in my life, in Portugal we just have one and is aquatic and I didn't ride that either, so I'm gonna say my favorite layouts:
    Steel=> Cheetah Hunt (at BG): I love the layout of Cheetah Hunt, is my favorite layout.
    Wood=> El Toro (at SFGA): This is the best layout for a woody imo.
  • Mattk48%s's Photo
    Steel: millennium force
    Wood: shivering Timbers
  • Scoop%s's Photo
    steel-big bad wolf only because it was my first coaster and it is near and dear to my heart.
    wood - definately the beast.
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Posted Image

I rode only eight wooden coasters so that's why some coasters look so out of place. 5-8 definitely don't belong in a favourites list. They're fun, but nothing special. Air is easily my favourite coaster.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading