Theme Park Discussion / The Official "What's Your Favorite Coaster" Thread

• Liampie%s's Photo

If these plans for SW7 are true, I wouldn't doubt that it could become the park's gem.

Not a chance... It'll take more than a few bare unorthodox coaster elements to beat Air and Nemesis. Oblivion is a great ride, but not really as a coaster. It's really only the drop so I'd rather compare it to drop towers. Not denying it IS a coaster, though.

JJ, you're so fucking spoiled. Nemesis is the shit.
  • Camcorder22%s's Photo
    The Astroland Cyclone and Santa Cruz's Giant Dipper are two of the most intense but not painful rides I've been on and are probably my favorite wooden coasters. Ghostrider used to be a favorite but the last few times I've ridden it have been terrible. In terms of steel, X/X2 is always a ridiculous experience.
  • zburns999%s's Photo
    Steel...

1. Millennium Force: Just the most all around "fun" roller coaster I've ever been on. Speed, height, strong forces--just the total package.
    2. Skyrush: The most out of control ride imaginable. Just sit in that back left wing seat...
    3. Maverick: Insane airtime and laterals, plus a strong launch.

Wood...
    1. El Toro: Yeah, I don't think I need to say much about this one.
    2. Phoenix: Right up there with Skyrush in the department of "rides I thought I was going to fly out of."
    3. Ravine Flyer II: The view from the top of the lift, the air-time hill over the road, the 90 degree turn--just a fantastic ride all around.

Honorable mentions...
    -Top Thrill Dragster
    -Storm Runner
    -Magnum XL 200
    -Phantom's Revenge
    -Vortex (Canada's Wonderland)
    -Lightning Racer
  • CrazyBlack%s's Photo
    Wood: 1.El Toro[SFGA]-I like the bit Airtime on the second hill-AND THE FIRST DROP!
    2.Colossos[Heide Park]-It`s a AIRTIMEmachine-and of course the high!
    3.The Voyange[HolidayWorld]-Hybrid Coaster are fantastic-and it`s a Voyange!
    4.Wodan[Europa Park]I think it`s not the hammer but you think you are very Fast!
    5.Son of Beast[Kings Island]I not like this Coaster,BUT The Looping and Helixes!...

Steel:
    1.Intiminator305[Kings Dominion]That`s a little bit a fantastic Coaster-FirstDroP!
    2.SW7[Alton Towers]When it`s true.SUPER.But theres no typical (100") Drop!
    3.KingdaKa[SMGA]The Speed and also the HIGH! :evil:
    4.Expedition G-Force[Holiday Park]The first drop is really good and the Airtime
    5.Riddler`s Revenge[SFMM]It´s a big stand up and it`s super speed in the Inversions
    (6.X2[SFMM]The coaster a Crazy and he has really good Speed it`s make FUN!

Wooden Coaster and Steel Coaster are great!but Steel or no...
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Are you from America CrazyBlack? If so, is English your first language.
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    The speed and also the high!?! holy crap that sounds amazing

1. Montu
    2. Prowler
    3. Maverick? Tatsu? not really sure frankly. Wasn't too impressed by Millenium Force, I sort of thought it was a bit short and overhyped. Great airtime though, and a massive drop.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    Prowler? Nice! I haven't ridden it but the last four bunny hops look like such a nice sequence of airtime.
  • Dimi%s's Photo
    Steel: Silver Star (Europa Park), Dragon Khan (Port Aventura)
    Wood: Tonerre de Zeus (Parc Astérix)
  • Insanity%s's Photo
    Steel: Tatsu @ SFMM
    Wood: Old Texas Giant
    and in the middle is New Texas Giant @ SFOT
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    prowler is an airtime beast. like sudden ejector air as opposed to long floater air. a really crazy ride, and its low profile means its pretty much fast all the way through.
  • CrazyBlack%s's Photo
    For Parcificoaster:I`m from Germany look---Hallo ich bin aus Deutschland und habe ein Trip in der USA gemacht.
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Wood:

#1 (tie*) - Cornball Express @ Indiana Beach (#1 Overall)
    #2 (tie*) - The Voyage @ Holiday World (#2 Overall)
    #3 - Shivering Timbers @ Michigan's Adventure (#6 Overall)
    #4 - The Beast @ King's Island (#7 Overall)
    #5 - Lightning Racer @ Hersheypark (#10 Overall)

Steel:

#1 - Intimidator 305 @ King's Dominion (#3 Overall)
    #2 - Diamondback @ King's Island (#4 Overall)
    #3 - Millennium Force @ Cedar Point (#5 Overall)
    #4 - Raging Bull @ Six Flags Great America (#8 Overall)
    #5 - Raptor @ Cedar Point (#9 Overall)

Neither of those #5s is terribly strong for me... It's been a long time since I rode Lightning Racer (10 years actually) but I held it in VERY high regard at the time. Raptor has be extremely good to me this season. Lots of great laps, especially at the back seat, outside right.

* Allow me to explain the tie: it's based on situation. If someone asked me which ride would I rather ride just once, the answer is The Voyage. However, if I was going to actually go to the park for (say) a summer evening in August and ride just one ride over and over. Cornball Express wins. I've never ridden it less than than 15 times in a day... the backseat ride after dark had to be experienced to be believed and because it's at a little known park in the middle of BFE most people have never given it that chance. Plenty have the credit; in the middle of the day on some "coaster tour" or another on their way to somewhere else. Their loss. *

Ride6
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    STEEL

1(tie)--Mindbender at Galaxyland
    1(tie)--Tatsu at Six Flags Magic Mountain
    3--Xcelerator at Knotts Berry Farm
    4--Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland
    5--X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain

WOOD

1--Ghostrider at Knotts Berry Farm
    2--Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain
    3--Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
    4--Giant Dipper at Belmont Park
    5--Wild Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland

Mindbender is easily the most mind-blowing ride I've ever been on; crazy drops, insane forces, lots of speed, and three awesome inversions. The close encounters with supports and the walls/ceiling of the mall only add to the entire experience.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    Millenium force isn't the total package given that it's severly lacking airtime.
  • nin%s's Photo

Steel: Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit. This coaster is absolutely beast. High G transitions, ejector airtime, insanely comfortable seats, ability to choose from over 100 different tracks to listen to, the lighting on the cars etc.

I'm gad someone else sees the way I do. There hasn't been much praise for this ride, but I absolutely loved it. Most others in my party wanted to re--ride the Hulk while I just stayed on this.

After riding Goliath (SFoG) numerous times this season I'd place it as my number 1.

Thunderhead would be my number one wooden (though if the Georgia Cyclone is fully retracked and the brakes stop trying to kill you, it could move up. I love this ride)
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    I really wanted to Love Rip, Ride, Rocket, or whatever it's called, but i was just soo annoyed by it

I waited to do it last before leaving because it was broken down most of the day. When it finally got up and going, they were running 3 cars, 1 of which was empty. The line took me about an hour, during which they kept telling me OVER and OVER about the awesomeness of "listening to music while you ride". My car's music wasn't running.

so i was pretty pissed when i got on it, and the ride itself just wasn't good enough to overcome it. I think i need a second time, but as that won't happen for a long time, this is the only, disappointing experience i had.

FK
  • panther33%s's Photo
    Steel
    1- Bizarro SFNE
    2- Nitro SFGADV
    3- Alpengiest BGE

Wood
    1- El Toro SFGADV
    2- Gwazi BGT or Lightning Racer Hershey
    3- Great White Moreys Piers
  • Ride6%s's Photo

Millenium force isn't the total package given that it's severly lacking airtime.

I really don't agree with that... Millennium Force doesn't have any ejector seat airtime but it has two strong floaters (the first drop and return hill from the island), and weak long floater (going out to the island), and a nice pop over the bunny hill. I don't see how that's "severly lacking", particularly when compared with the other Gigas that aren't Steel Dragon 2000... It's certainly less than most hypers but most hyper coaster emphasize airtime while Millennium Force was designed to emphasize the feeling of speed.

To this day I think Millennium Force is possibly the most "perfect" ride for the general public. It's enormous, intimidating, and incredibly fast but it's almost surrealistic in how smooth and gentle it actually is. There's no punishment for 'testing your limits', only rewards. Sure, I prefer to get thrashed and/or spend 30+ seconds pinned to my lap-bar, but I'm not everyone. :p

Ride6
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

I really don't agree with that... Millennium Force doesn't have any ejector seat airtime but it has two strong floaters (the first drop and return hill from the island), and weak long floater (going out to the island), and a nice pop over the bunny hill. I don't see how that's "severly lacking", particularly when compared with the other Gigas that aren't Steel Dragon 2000... It's certainly less than most hypers but most hyper coaster emphasize airtime while Millennium Force was designed to emphasize the feeling of speed.

To this day I think Millennium Force is possibly the most "perfect" ride for the general public. It's enormous, intimidating, and incredibly fast but it's almost surrealistic in how smooth and gentle it actually is. There's no punishment for 'testing your limits', only rewards. Sure, I prefer to get thrashed and/or spend 30+ seconds pinned to my lap-bar, but I'm not everyone. :p

Ride6

When I think total package I think thrill (drops/inversions), speed, airtime (both floater and ejector), g-forces, theming, and overall ride experience. Millennium has thrill (huge drop), speed, *some* floater airtime (not enough for a ride this size/length), and strong forces. No themeing. No ejector airtime. Overall ride experience is brought down because of this. IMO not the total package. A good ride, yes. The total package? No.
  • Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

When I think total package I think thrill (drops/inversions), speed, airtime (both floater and ejector), g-forces, theming, and overall ride experience. Millennium has thrill (huge drop), speed, *some* floater airtime (not enough for a ride this size/length), and strong forces. No themeing. No ejector airtime. Overall ride experience is brought down because of this. IMO not the total package. A good ride, yes. The total package? No.

Sometimes you want a ride to get down and dirty and throw you around. Other times you're in the mood for lots of eye contact and some Barry White.

My point being, there can be a lot of different types of great rides, and Ride6 is describing one that fits a completely different set of criteria than what you're looking for. A lid for every pot, sir.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading