Music Forum / It's June...what are your favorite albums of 2013 SO FAR?

• Wanted%s's Photo
    I always love being introduced to some new music :mantis:
    So, what are your favorite albums so far?

My favorites are:

The National - Trouble Will Find Me
    Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
    Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
    Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Also, what are you all looking forward to that still needs to come out this year?

J Cole's album
    Drake's album
    MGMT's album
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    I was thinking about posting a topic similar to this about June 18th with Kanye's and J.Cole's new albums coming out then as well as a few others.

My favorites so far:
    Skrillex - Leaving EP
    Theme Park - Theme Park
    Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
    30 Seconds to Mars - Love, Lust, Faith and Dreams

Looking forward to?

Yeezus! If that's it's name by Mr. West
    Born Sinner by J.Cole
    Big Sean's album
    Beyoncé rumored album?
    Justin Timberlake's rumored 20/20 Experience part 2
    Bloc Party rumored EP if that ever happens
    Tinie Tempah rumored 2nd album

Think I'm forgetting some
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    I've been lazy about getting new music, mostly been catching up on old music.

That beig said

Comedown Machine-The Strokes (my fav band)

FK
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Polyenso - One Big Particular Loop
    Conditions - Full Of War
    The Dear Hunter - Migrant
    The National - Trouble Will Find Me
    Transit - Young New England

The only album upcoming on my radar is the new Dangerous Summer.

Wanted, the new National album is great, no?

FK, didn't know The Strokes released a new record. I'll have to check that out.
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo
    No favorite albums as of yet, but I'm looking forward to:

Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste
    and
    Britney Spears - no album title yet...
    :')
  • Wanted%s's Photo

Wanted, the new National album is great, no?

Really great. Contender for album of the year IMO. What are your favorite tracks off of it?
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    I haven't picked up much for new albums this year... New to me, yes, but actually new... not so much. That being said Trouble Will Find Me by The National and Random Access Memories by Daft Punk were both recent purchases. Both seem like they have the quality highs and wealth of deep cuts to make it into my all-time rotation.

In typical fashion Trouble Will Find Me might very well be the best National album. I say "in typical fashion" because it seems like they've somehow upped their game on every consecutive release. The production on this one isn't a huge leap from High Violet... The songs almost seem like they could be from the same sessions if not for Matt's voice finding new range; reportedly thanks to him quitting cigarettes. I haven't fully sunk into this record yet so I still "prefer" High Violet for now, but it feels like it might not last.

Random Access Memories should go down as an instant classic. Maybe I want to call it that because of the "throwback" sounds on it, but the joy, quantity and quality of the music on this record cannot be denied. If you haven't heard it; you're missing out. Plain and simple.

Ride6
  • Steve%s's Photo

Really great. Contender for album of the year IMO. What are your favorite tracks off of it?

Demons is probably my favorite right now, since its the one I find myself singing in my head the most and think it's the catchiest. I think the first half of the album is actually pretty great, and I really like Graceless and Pink Rabbits. Fireproof probably has my favorite lyrics on the album at the moment, though. I find myself liking High Violet more, as it had a lot more standout tracks to me and I enjoyed the percussion-based sound the album had as opposed to Trouble Will Find Me (though, there is some there, like Demons). I recommend checking their performance on The Colbert Report - they did Graceless and it comes off as epic compared to the album version.

Also, I forgot to mention the album "Thunderstorms" by Strange Vacation. It's not out yet, but it's my current favorite next to the new National. I recommend it if you like an alternative/pop punk/indie sound.

https://soundcloud.c...tion/sick-cycle
  • Twiggy%s's Photo
    New Politics- A Bad Girl In Harlem
    Man Overboard- Heart Attack
    The Front Bottoms- Talon Of The Hawk
    Phosphorescent- Muchado
    Dawes- Stories Don't End
  • Wanted%s's Photo

Demons is probably my favorite right now, since its the one I find myself singing in my head the most and think it's the catchiest. I think the first half of the album is actually pretty great, and I really like Graceless and Pink Rabbits. Fireproof probably has my favorite lyrics on the album at the moment, though. I find myself liking High Violet more, as it had a lot more standout tracks to me and I enjoyed the percussion-based sound the album had as opposed to Trouble Will Find Me (though, there is some there, like Demons). I recommend checking their performance on The Colbert Report - they did Graceless and it comes off as epic compared to the album version.

Also, I forgot to mention the album "Thunderstorms" by Strange Vacation. It's not out yet, but it's my current favorite next to the new National. I recommend it if you like an alternative/pop punk/indie sound.

https://soundcloud.c...tion/sick-cycle

Graceless, Fireproof, and Demons are all great. My favorite song is I Should Live In Salt. It's a solid start to the album, and sets the tone with its dramatic melancholy lyrics.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    Modern Vampires Of the City - Vampire Weekend
    They really came up with a new style for this album, and I hated it at first, but now I like it.

RAM - Daft Punk
    You guys have pretty much summed it up.

Bigfoot - Cayucas
    Great surf rock. A good summer album.

Looking forward to MGMT's new album.
  • csw%s's Photo
    I love Random Access Memories as well as Trouble Will Find Me, both great albums by great bands. Another album that was actually released in late 2012 but I didn't listen to until April is Centipede Hz by Animal Collective. Best AnCo album so far, I think. They just keep getting better.
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    I had to go home and check what else i have from this year, and remembered

Girl Names-The New Life

AND

Foals-Holy Fire

Foals is by FAAARR my favorite of the year, maybe the past couple of years. It's sooo good and wonderful!

FK
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    Yeah, the new Foals album is cool. I like the older ones mor though.

Sigur Rós is releasing a new album in two weeks or so. :drool:
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    In no particular order:

City and Colour - The Hurry and the Harm
    I will forever love Dallas Green, and any music that this man releases. Such a beautiful record.

I've always liked Daft Punk a little bit, but this album really made me enjoy their music on a far greater level. I absolutely love the melodies on this.

TesseracT - Altered State
    This is simply one of the coolest albums i've ever heard. The melodies on this are golden, and the songs are so groovy. Definitely check this out if you want to hear one of the 'prettiest' sounding metal/djent/progressive bands.

Lydia - Devil
    This album is gorgeous. Definitely one of their more catchy releases. I listen to this almost every night when I go to bed haha.

Fit for a King - Creation/Destruction
    I'm not huge into this style of music anymore. But these guys do it right! The new vocalist is a strong addition to the band, and Ryan's vocals are ridiculously powerful on these new songs. Plus, my band's manager is also the manager of these guys, so I guess i'm sliiightly biased;]

Northlane - Singularity
    This album is so heavy! But so melodic. I love it.

The Color Morale - Know Hope
    I've been a fan of these guys since their debut album, and this one is no disappointment; although its much different than their previous releases. The emotion that went into these songs is very evident in Garret's voice, and some of these songs continue to give me chills every time I hear them.

Tilian Pearson - Material Me
    I might be a little biased, as I've known this dude from his previous band, Tides of Man [who happen to be Florida-based haha] But I've always been a big fan of his voice and songwriting ability. He really sounds fantastic in his first solo debut.

I'm sure i'm forgetting quite a bit.
    But these are a few that really stick out to me:]
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    Favorites
    The 20/20 Experience - Justin Timberlake
    NATIVE - ONE REPUBLIC (one of my all time favorites)
    Dear Miss Lonelyhearts - Cold War Kids
    Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy
    Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
    LOVE, LUST, FAITH & DREAMS - 30 Seconds to Mars (I expected more... It's still very good)

Upcoming:
    The Wack Album - The Lonely Island
    In a World Like This - Backstreet Boys
  • AvanineCommuter%s's Photo

Another album that was actually released in late 2012 but I didn't listen to until April is Centipede Hz by Animal Collective. Best AnCo album so far, I think. They just keep getting better.

I never understood the love for animal collective. They sound like random noise to me and nothing stands out from their albums but they get rave reviews from every music critique source out there. I must be missing something...
  • In:Cities%s's Photo
    ^Right there with you buddy
  • Wanted%s's Photo

I never understood the love for animal collective. They sound like random noise to me and nothing stands out from their albums but they get rave reviews from every music critique source out there. I must be missing something...

Listening to Merriweather Post Pavillion is quite a trip. I greatly enjoy that album. However, I understand where you're comin from.
  • csw%s's Photo
    I will say that their sound is hard to get used to. Once you get past the vocal effects and odd sound effects their music isn't so weird. I think a lot of people don't like the main singer, as well...he's not that great but is fitting for the type of music AnCo makes. The only reason Merriweather is so popular is because it's not their usual stuff. I don't know, I just love the way all the sound meshes together to create some awesome rhythms and harmonies. Although I would like to see more singing out of Panda Bear (who did a song with Daft Punk on RAM) and Deakin, who only did lead vocals on one song on Centipede Hz.

Wanted, I like your signature there ;) Giorgio Moroder has one of the best accents

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading