Music Forum / It's June...what are your favorite albums of 2013 SO FAR?

• imawesome1124%s's Photo
    I found out that my current favorite band, Shinedown will be releasing a new album this year. That's probably the one I'm most looking forward to.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation
    Transit - Young New England
    Man Overboard - Heart Attack
    Streetlight Manifesto - The Hands That Thieve
    30 Seconds To Mars - Love, Lust, Faith, and Dreams
    New Politics - A Bad Girl In Harlem
    The Story So Far - What You Don't See
    Silverstein - This is How The Wind Shifts
    Armin Van Buuren - Intense
    Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends
  • robbie92%s's Photo

She's a fucking tease. I hate her for it. :mad:/>

The album is destined to be amazing though, so I'll forgive her once it drops. Watch out for ATM JAM, supposedly, it's to be out sometime this month! Emphasis on *supposedly*.

As long as the music's still phenomenal, I'll deal with all of the shit she puts us through.

"Got racks, racks, racks til that ATM Jam"
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends

Aw man when was this? I missed it!
  • csw%s's Photo

The National - Trouble Will Find Me

Ahh yeah the National! This album is awesome people, go listen to it. Humiliation is my favorite so far. I didn't know how they were going to top High Violet, but they did
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    so i heard the new Dillinger Escape Plan album and its my favorite of theirs and my fav of the year so far. check it out if you like metal influenced hardcore punk, math rock, complex arrangements in general, or Faith No More
  • Wanted%s's Photo
    2013 Rap Album Update!

The 3 big albums coming out on June 18th have all leaked. So who won? Kanye? J. Cole? Mac Miller? Hmmm...

Kanye West - Yeezus
    Let's make a few things clear. Kanye is NOT the best lyricist. He is a great producer and is best at producing 'fun' and 'different' music. Sigh, this album is an epic disappointment. A couple of the songs have absolutely horrendous beats (On Sight & New Slaves). A few of the songs attempt to have dark and serious lyrics (Black Skinhead, I Am A God, New Slaves) and all 3 are an epic disappointment. However, he has 3 beautifully produced songs that save the album, Hold My Liquor, Blood On The Leaves, and Bound 2. Overall, Kanye falls flat for me. 7/10 (generous)

J. Cole - Born Sinner
    J. Cole, AKA the lifeless lyricist. Yes, he has great lyrics and beats, but he always seems to lack 'life' and 'soul'. The intro (Villuminati) and the outro (Born Sinner) are perfect for this album. Ironically, the 2 worst songs are a Kendrick Lamar feature, and the beat from Outkast's Da' Art of Storytellin'. While they are very weak songs, the rest of the album carries on strong. Trouble, She Knows, Rich Niggaz, & Let Nas Down are the real heroes of the album. It was the first time I really felt the emotion from J. Cole shining through. Pretty solid album, still slightly forgettable. 7.9/10

Mac Miller - Watching Movies With The Sound Off
    I know, I know... Mac Miller. What a little shit, huh? Well, it seems like little Mac Miller finally grew up. If you let your hatred of this twat fade away for a second, you might find yourself enjoying one of the best albums of 2013. This album is heavily inspired by psychadelic drugs & music of the 60s/70s. His lyrics are extremely powerful. In context, hearing 'You had a girl, I kinda wish you knocked her up
    So I could meet your son and talk you up' actually gives me chills every time I hear it. While there a couple weak songs, in my opinion (S.D.S, Matches), the rest of the album is just incredible. I'm Not Real, I Am Who I Am (Killin Time), Objects In The Mirror, REMember, Someone Like You, & Aquarium are all incredible 'serious' songs. There are also a few songs made for slappin' in your car, Red Dot Music & Gees. I have a feeling Red Dot Music is going to be HUGE this year. Overall, a solid A. It won't stand toe to toe with Good Kid, M.A.A.D City or Take Care, but it's the best rap album of 2013 so far. 9.5/10
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

[Mac Miller] won't stand toe to toe with Good Kid, M.A.A.D City or Take Care, but it's the best rap album of 2013 so far. 9.5/10

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

so apparently Queens of the Stone Age put out a new album, I need to check that out. I recently discovered Young Thug who released a fucking insane mixtape this year
  • Wanted%s's Photo

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

so apparently Queens of the Stone Age put out a new album, I need to check that out. I recently discovered Young Thug who released a fucking insane mixtape this year

1. Go listen to the album before you laugh

2. Queens of the Stone Age album is AMAZING
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    i should have been clearer with what i quoted; i was laughing at you trashing kanye for writing abt race then endorsing the poster-child for the gentrification of rap
  • BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    30 seconds to mars - Love lust faith + dreams

was skeptical at first but it's really a good album
  • Airtime%s's Photo

2013 Rap Album Update!

Kanye West - Yeezus
    Let's make a few things clear. Kanye is NOT the best lyricist. He is a great producer and is best at producing 'fun' and 'different' music. Sigh, this album is an epic disappointment. A couple of the songs have absolutely horrendous beats (On Sight & New Slaves). A few of the songs attempt to have dark and serious lyrics (Black Skinhead, I Am A God, New Slaves) and all 3 are an epic disappointment. However, he has 3 beautifully produced songs that save the album, Hold My Liquor, Blood On The Leaves, and Bound 2. Overall, Kanye falls flat for me. 7/10 (generous)

J. Cole - Born Sinner

Yeezus
    First off Wanted, each to their own and all. Kanye not being the best lyricist probably not the best but he's fucking good, better than most, Yeezus may not have the best lyrics but it's still great. After giving it a listen through more than once, it's typical Kanye. At first I was a bit shell shocked of what just hit me but on the second run through it just gets far better and does so every time. I'll give you that there's beats in there that are odd but they're great. The only song that gets killed by the beat for me is I'm In It, it starts off good but when the beat drops it's not great like the rest of the album. I agree Hold My Liquor, Blood On The Leaves, and Bound 2 are the best songs but I also think New Slaves, Black Skinhead and Send It Up are very good. On Sight doesn't have an horrendous beat, that's I'm In It. I have no idea at all how you can say Black Skinhead, I Am A God, New Slaves are epic disappoints. I feel this is such a progression from Dark Fantasy that it makes the last album seem so old, still his best album though. Yeezus close second excluding Watch the Throne and Cruel Summer if you can call them his albums that is. I cannot stop listening to this album. Yeezus just rose again!

Born Sinner
    I've yet to listen to it more than once yet but generally it's also really good. There's one or two songs in there that get lost in there but by far my favorites are Power Trip (Amazing) and Born Sinner with a few others not far behind but Born Sinner is a perfect close to the album and Miss America is a perfect start to Truly Yours 3 (Deluxe Edition). I agree I feel J.Cole misses something in his work sometimes but I can't put my finger on it. Wanted, how is it the first time you've felt emotion from J.Cole? Lights Please, Lost Ones or Dreams come to the top of my head for songs with emotion? Still need to listen to it a few more times before I could give specifics. Solid album I agree though.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    haha there's an el-p produced album coming out and On Sight will still probably be my beat of the year

also blood on the leaves is a nina simone/TNGHT mashup what the fuck this is the best album
  • Hex%s's Photo

Outcasts - Palisades

You actually know them too?!?! Dude I just saw them May 17th at the Chameleon with Famous Last Words, Heartist, Capture the Crown, and Crown the Empire! I love that album!

Also I'm a little disappointed with 5FDP's new single. It isn't as "in your face" as their last few singles have been.

Daft Punk continued to suck me into their amazing music with RAM.

So far that's it sadly...
  • MorganFan%s's Photo
    The Temper Trap: Acoustic Sessions - The Temper Trap

Edit: Actually I'm fairy certain Dougy Mandagi has the best falsetto in the world. Like, maybe better than JT...
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    After recieving some packages and doing some listening

RAM-Daft Punk -really just so jazzy and smooth and innovative
    Wonderous Bughouse-Youth Lagoon -really weird, but i'm loving it

but MOST of all BY FAR

...Like Clockwork-Queens of the Stone Age -mammoth record with soo much huge glorious base and guitar sound, and, well, Josh Hommes <3

FK
  • In:Cities%s's Photo

You actually know them too?!?! Dude I just saw them May 17th at the Chameleon with Famous Last Words, Heartist, Capture the Crown, and Crown the Empire! I love that album!Also I'm a little disappointed with 5FDP's new single. It isn't as "in your face" as their last few singles have been.Daft Punk continued to suck me into their amazing music with RAM.So far that's it sadly...

They're [Palisades] not terrible for the genre they're in, however they aren't a stand out band whatsoever. The album is decent, and to me, is perfectly good ear candy for background music while I drive, and thats about it. There are very few parts in the album where I feel inclined to sing along, and thats what I look for these days in music.

Heartist is very good though! I recently discovered them, and they have a very unique sound.
  • Airtime%s's Photo
    Magna Carta Holy Grail - Jay-Z

July 4th. Wow this is a great summer. I thought the rumors of a new album died down a bit in recent times but looks like we're finally getting another Jay-Z album. Excited.
  • robbie92%s's Photo
    Yeezus is phenomenal. It's Kanye distilled to his most abrasive and minimal. After the maximalism of MBDTF, this is a new turn, very 808s on a rampage. Completely up my alley; MBDTF may objectively be his best album, but Yeezus hits all the right spots for me and is my favorite.
  • Twiggy%s's Photo
    What's with these rappers and their horrible album names?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading