News / Considerations to make before sending in your park

• Midnight Aurora%s's Photo

While the idea of this is good in theory, perhaps it also means that you should look at bringing on some new panelists and retiring some of the more jaded ones who don't find it worth their time to sort through the parks they don't deem to be "worthy of the site".

What one person considers "material worthy of this site" may not necessarily be what someone else considers to be work of the same caliber. I haven't played the game in quite some time, but I remember that the last few parks I worked on were my absolute pride and joy, I would have loved to submit them and get quality feedback from the members here, even if they were unfinished. Thinking on them now, I think they would have been laughed out of the submission process.

Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is that the panel ought to be a bit more receptive to newcomers and work that isn't as high quality as some of the higher rated stuff on here? Everyone's gotta start somewhere, and discouraging critique on sub-par work by just not bothering to give it the time of day is a poor way to promote and expand the community of a hobby that everyone here thoroughly enjoys.

At any rate. My 2 cents. That started out as a sentence and turned into a novel rather quickly.

There's plenty of places on this site to release low quality or first time work. We're talking simply about the submission process, which requires viewing, voting, a logo, uploading, an overview, etc.

The reason that one park got mocked is because it was such a waste of time to the panel. If it was released in the forums as a first work, the community would have been much more supportive. (at least I would hope so... There's a lot of new members lately, and we are suffering the growing pains of the culture change that comes with that)
  • tyandor%s's Photo
    The least you can expect from a submission is that it has put time and effort in it. When the panelist and people who prepare for release put time and effort in it you could at least return the favor. A lot of work just isn't worth the time. I don't mind low quality work, everyone has to learn, but when I get a park and within one second of opening it I already regret downloading it and know the score it will get instantly, you aren't doing yourself any favors.
  • Arjan v l%s's Photo
    Unbelievable!

What's so hard to understand?!

NE stands for high quality imo.
    It's not that we don't want releases from new users, but be passionate about the game, please.
    There are more rct sites happy to accept all that effortless work, but we like to maintain a high standard imo.
    My first park also didn't reach a high score, but it wasn't effortless.
    We all start somewhere, that's clear.
    So... those comments about being unfriendly towards new members aren't justified.
    I was a new member as well, in fact... anybody was a new member at some point and most of them are still here, enjoying this game and site.
    Just show that you've got the skills, or motivation to pull of something interesting to vote on.
  • Scott.S%s's Photo

Unbelievable!

What's so hard to understand?!

Disagreeing ≠ not understanding...
  • Scoop%s's Photo
    What about this. When newer players enter the site the Admin should send them a message giving some information about how NE is known for quality and saying that maybe your first submission should be required not to be in the running for an accolade.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    But the point of this thread is to make less work for the admins and panel, not more.
  • Scoop%s's Photo
    a message is work?
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    It's one more thing they need to do. It takes time and energy.
  • AK Koaster%s's Photo
    The idea of submitting at least one park before submitting for voting is a good one though, that should weed out things that don't have effort put into them. That way the community gets to see a snapshot of the members work, to make sure that it isn't going to be something slapped together in an hour or two clogging up the voting process
  • Scoop%s's Photo

It's one more thing they need to do. It takes time and energy.

it took a minute to type and reply the first message I sent. But anyways any more suggestions.
  • Scott.S%s's Photo

But the point of this thread is to make less work for the admins and panel, not more.

Pretty sure by default an email gets sent to all new registrations. It would be very easy to edit that message to contain the content discussed above.

At any rate, I dunno about that idea; I've been throwing some work around lately and I was thinking about submitting for a design, and it would suck to work hard on something and have it not even be considered.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    Show some screens and see how it's received first. If people say it needs a lot of work, then wait to submit it, otherwise you're chill
  • Louis!%s's Photo
    I'd just like to point out that the announcement was actually originally written by myself, after an admin chat regarding the situation.

I've been on holiday so Posix posted it and changed things ever so slightly.

When an admin posts an announcement or a post regarding the site, it is a post that comes from the entire admin team, and not just the person that posts it.
  • Levis%s's Photo
    If you guys are interested in a php script for object linking let me know, i might have some time to do a project to brush up my php skills again.
  • posix%s's Photo
    Levis, the problem's still the same from when you last offered your coding. We need a tool that takes SV6 as input and outputs:

- SV6, un-used objects removed, exported with used ones
    - List of used objects names
    - Physical .DATs of used CSO

and if you can

- List of un-exporting DATs used.

We still do all this (and some more) manually for every submission we're sent.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading