Ask the Experts / The RCT Guide to Windows 7/8 [Merging & Window Mode Guide Too]

• Louis!%s's Photo

When I get the message "unable to run in minimized mode" it is because I am trying to load a save game without RCT already loaded.

With windowed mode, you have to have RCT loaded before you try to open any save games.

If the error is occurring because of something different then I can't help you unfortunately.

• Micahscope%s's Photo

That's what I was thinking.  I get the error every time I tried to open it directly. Thanks for the help though! 

• Louis!%s's Photo

Yeah then you need to load up the game and open a save through the game instead of the usual way you would normally do.

• Xeccah%s's Photo

hey, my screen's completely black when i do this

• csw%s's Photo

I got a black screen when attempting this on XP. So depending on what OS you're running...I don't think it works on XP, period. 

Edit: never mind, it wasn't a black screen, but it still didn't work on XP. If that helps at all. 

• Louis!%s's Photo

hey, my screen's completely black when i do this

When you do what? The window hack or the settings?

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    window hack^
  • Louis!%s's Photo

oh. then i don't really know what to suggest :/

• Stoksy%s's Photo

Whenever I try to run the game in windowed mode I get messed up colours, and a black bar at the bottom of the screen which prevents me from seeing the in-game tabs (ie scenery, rides etc.). By black bar I mean the RCT2 screen is slightly higher in the window so that I see most of the screen but the top is cut off.

I'm running RCT2 in compatibility mode and everything; could it be because I have the triple thrill pack?

• Louis!%s's Photo

^That is a common glitch. You just need to keep loading it until it is working ok.

• Stoksy%s's Photo

^Ah, okay; thanks Louis.

• Louis!%s's Photo

No problem :) if it doesn't go, then there isn't anything I can do.

But normally it disappears after the 2nd or 3rd load of the game and then won't come back again for a while.

• Stoksy%s's Photo

I finally got it to work :D!!!

Not sure what I did specifically that made it do so but if people are getting odd colours and/or a high screen after doing all the compatibility mode stuff you need to use the debugged version and rename the program file RCT2.exe.

(ie after extracting to Program Files -> Infogrames/Atari; rename RCT2 to RCT2.exe)

Hopefully that works for others, and I made sense.

Should note that I'm using RCT2 TTP (both expansion packs).

• Harkonnen%s's Photo

It doesn't work since I got all white screen when I run RCT2 in windowed mode. However, I still play it in full screen, waste a little time when using 8cars trainer which need to swap between game and desktop.

Anyway, is it true that windowed mode doesn't work in 1024x768 resolution ?

Note - my original resolution is 800x600

• FredD%s's Photo

I just installed RCT1. Seems to work good, but I can't save or open save games... I've set the settings the same as the settings on my RCT2.exe file. 

• Louis!%s's Photo
    Make sure you run the drexler patch. If you don't, you can't open saves from here, and you can't save games on newer OS.

So basically, follow Posix's LL installation guide to find what you need to do to get the game to work (install the patches)
  • RCTER2%s's Photo

You can use this little programe to run RCT2 in windows too (what I use now):http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

Very easy to use...

• GigaG%s's Photo

I cannot get Codex Trainer to work on Windows 8. The last few buttons (far right) fail to appear. I believe that in Windows 7, I used the Windows Classic theme, but I don't think this is in Windows 8. The same thing happens when the compatibility mode is used.

• Ling%s's Photo

^Try clicking the "Change Land Mover Size" button.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    Codex doesn't like the Aero theme, so Windows 8 isn't compatible as it doesn't have an option to go into classic mode like Windows 7.

However, what Ling says. Give it a try.