Ask the Experts / The RCT Guide to Windows 7/8 [Merging & Window Mode Guide Too]

• GigaG%s's Photo

It partially works. The actually "land mover size" slider does not appear, and the buttons are cut off. Damn it!

Edit - Is the offending thing the Desktop Window Manager? I looked it up and it is impossible to disable on Windows 8 without seriously screwing things up.

• Ling%s's Photo

I think it's just how Windows draws... well, windows. Similar things happen to 8cars, 4cars, and Beast/SoB.

• GigaG%s's Photo

Yes, but those trainers (which all have similar GUIs) can be resized. Codex can not. 

• F0ndue%s's Photo

I tried all the things for 7 to make it run, but nothing changed. I got it on steam some days ago, and it worked for a day, but now, nothing works again, and I always end up on the desktop.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Not familiar with the steam or gog versions, only disc, so cannot help you there.

• F0ndue%s's Photo

Ah, damn, do you know by chance anybody who is familiar with steam versions?

• Louis!%s's Photo

Some of the people over at http://www.reddit.com/r/rct may be able to help you out.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Fucking Windows decided to automatically update my OS to 8.1. I had managed to avoid it all this time.

Now I can't make things invisible. Grrrrrr.

• inthemanual%s's Photo

VM? I dunno how easy it is to get a copy of XP anymore, legally or not. I had an extra disk for it at my parent's and was able to get a VM working with that, so asking relatives might help

• Louis!%s's Photo

It's ok.

For some reason I can still use the toggle chain function, which usually also goes. I can just send files to my laptop to make things invisible if I need to. Or to Airtime's laptop.

Just thought I would share the cookyness.

• Richie%s's Photo

So i started a new design, finished the layout turned off the game. Went back on the game later only to find it will no longer load up :( Was working fine (windows 7) and then all of a sudden stops working.

It comes up with the loading bar, the music plays but i cant see anything. Its just a black screen with a very small image in the top left which looks like the main menu. Its for RCT2, any ideas? Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, making sure i deleted the whole folder before installing it again

Possibly had a windows update in between playing but not 100%

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I'm having a curious problem too with win8 and trainers. Anytime I use the 'modify ride options' tab to change lift hill speed or lower a ride or whatever, in any trainer and any version (including son of beast etc), it says that the trainer has stopped working and closes automatically. Everything else functions perfectly fine about the trainers except that little feature, which would be useful frankly...

unrelated- I would love a little codex editor for rct2. I know its sort of unnecessary but it would make trackitecture stuff so much easier. yes I know winhack but it looks hard and I'm really not good at hacking stuff. :p

• amblerk%s's Photo

Windowed work I'm struggling with. It opens the window, in windowed mode, however all my tools have disappeared, effectively the calibration is all out of sync. Any ideas on this? 

• Xeccah%s's Photo

I'm having a curious problem too with win8 and trainers. Anytime I use the 'modify ride options' tab to change lift hill speed or lower a ride or whatever, in any trainer and any version (including son of beast etc), it says that the trainer has stopped working and closes automatically. Everything else functions perfectly fine about the trainers except that little feature, which would be useful frankly...

unrelated- I would love a little codex editor for rct2. I know its sort of unnecessary but it would make trackitecture stuff so much easier. yes I know winhack but it looks hard and I'm really not good at hacking stuff. :p

for my next ncso park, i will waste time using winhack so i can get the perfect trackitecutre that i so desire
  • SSSammy%s's Photo

Hi, since i did the windows mode jimmy jam 8cars just tells me "no process", same with rct reliable. is this a problem with the windowed mode or something else?

• Version1%s's Photo

You have to run both in admin mode or both without, afaik

• SSSammy%s's Photo

clever girl

• Shadow49%s's Photo

what about if you bought the game off of steam, because there isnt a compatibility mode.

• Da_Cool%s's Photo

It's still possible to run in compatibility mode if you've got it on steam I think. In your steam library you right-click rct2 select "properties", select "local files" and select "browse local files...". This will open up the map where rct2 is installed and from there you can change the rct2.exe.

• Shadow49%s's Photo

still cant :/