News / Announcement regarding long-lost RCT files...

• Louis!%s's Photo

The creator of the RCT reddit has long been on a quest to find two long lost John Wardley RCT creations. More info can be found here and here.

He believes he has found a floppy disk with these files on, and is in need of a (preferably European) trustworthy person to send this disk to, to retrieve the files.

Some (but not a lot) of background info can be found here[1] .

Someone has a floppy disk labelled “RCT Games Files – Alton Woodies & Thorpe Woodie” and we (me and the person who found the guy) have a good reason to believe that John Wardley made the files on the disk. The person with the disk doesn't have a floppy drive and wants to mail it to someone who does. They live in Europe (probably UK, will clarify once I get in contact with him).

Right now this is all second-hand via PM. It's possible that it's a prank (Reddit account under 1 year old). Once I get in contact with the guy I will know more.

So I'm going to do research on what this floppy might contain and will probably edit this post with my findings. The floppy could very well just be the same files we already have, that is, contain nothing new or exciting.

Meanwhile, I'm also putting out this call for people who might be willing to back up the data on the disk.

Since this project is my baby, I'll be deciding who is to receive the floppy disk shipment.

Mandatory:

• Own or be willing to buy a floppy disk drive (most likely a 3.5 inch floppy drive, because the larger 5.25 inch floppies predate RCT1)
    • Basic understanding of computers
    • Live in Europe with a mailing address
    • Trustworthy
    • Willing to spend at least an hour dumping this disk

Suggested:

• Able to boot into Linux (from a live CD) (for purposes of easy, 1:1 dumping of the floppy disk)
    • Flatbed scanner and/or digital camera (to document the outside label of the disk)
    • Moderate understanding of computers
    • Member of the RollerCoaster Tycoon community

I lean heavily towards only letting members of the RCT community do this - however if someone is both trustworthy and thoroughly familiar with floppy disk dumping I'd consider them as well.

It is open to the entire RCT community - not just Reddit. For example, if someone owns an RCT fansite that's been around for 10 years, that tells me they aren't going to disappear off the Internet tomorrow. That would make them a decently "trustworthy" candidate.

Sorry for taking this so seriously (no fun allowed), and for basically holding something potentially rare out in front of US-based, non-trustworthy people and saying "haha, you suck". But if this gets lost in the mail or falls into the ocean or the person in charge disappears, there goes a very good shot of us getting the files.

If you happen to have a floppy disk drive, live in Europe and consider yourself trustworthy, please get in contact with Doomed at reddit.

• Liampie%s's Photo

This is hilariously awesome. I can't help sadly... The only floppy drive left in this house is in my keyboard; not much of a help.

• Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo

I actually remember having these. Haven't had them for a very long time though.

• Faas%s's Photo

Trustworthy? Is it the freaking Mona Lisa or something?

• Louis!%s's Photo

Apparently it is.

Turns out Roomie has most of them anyway, which is what I thought, because they've been uploaded to the site before at some point, I remember seeing them.

• donkeykonga%s's Photo

Doomed from Reddit here. You can see by the few posts I've made (3.75 years ago - yikes!) that I've been searching for these for a while. I posted what I have for those interested in how things have progressed.

My reasons for using caution and wanting a trustworthy person:

1. Our subreddit has been targeted by a few trolls here and there.

2. This disk is one-of-a-kind. Someone could try holding it hostage.

3. The person sending the disk is John Wardley (initially kept secret). I don't know how he plans on sending it. If he left his real address on the package, and the disk was sent to some jerk, he could post his address for the whole world to see. Since John is being nice to us by sending the disk in the first place, I wanted to minimize the potential for negative effects.

I actually specifically cited the Mona Lisa in a comment.

>The short version is that they're cool to have, but they're far more notable because of how hard they are to find. Imagine if Leonardo da Vinci scribbled some sketch in five minutes. It wouldn't be more valuable or interesting than the Mona Lisa, but if da Vinci locked the sketch away and threw it into the bottom of the ocean, it would be an interesting challenge to recover it.

• posix%s's Photo

Who is John Wardley?

• FredD%s's Photo

A rollercoaster designer. He designed Nemesis, Air, Dragon Khan etc. Big name in the themepark industry!

• Louis!%s's Photo

Well, he actually didn't 'design' those rides. He isn't an engineer, he's an artist. He had a major role in the ideas of a lot of coasters. He produces ideas, concepts and themes.

It always annoys me when people refer to him as the designer of such great rides.

• PizzaWurscht%s's Photo

He is a creative and crazy guy . I think you can say this when you look this video :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbIpgG0q2go

• Louis!%s's Photo

I'm not denying that he is creative, I'm denying that he designed the actual coaster layouts, as that is something he isn't experienced in doing.

Oh and the leather jacket he always wears is hideous

• FredD%s's Photo

Oh I knew he had an important role in creating those ride, Wiki said he's a designer so... Sorry Louis :(

• geewhzz%s's Photo
    that video was painful to watch
  • Roomie%s's Photo

Bit late to the party here.

These are the 5 I have. 

Are these not the files that were in those 2 zip files? It was a long time ago but i seem to remember that being the case.

Attached File  ALTON BEAST WOODIE.SV4 (384.36KB)
    downloads: 272

Attached File  ALTON UGLAND WOODIE.SV4 (292.69KB)
    downloads: 245

Attached File  THORPE LAUNCHER.SV4 (313.69KB)
    downloads: 241

Attached File  THORPE MULTI-LOOPER.SV4 (304.46KB)
    downloads: 265

Attached File  THORPE WOODIE.SV4 (336.9KB)
    downloads: 249

• Levis%s's Photo

none of you actually once looked at the credits for rct/ll/rct2 or rct3 right?
    John Wardley is credited for all rct games. He is credited with thanks to. Thats because he led his expertise for coaster physics and design for those games.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading