Theme Park Discussion / Newest highest coaster in the world... for Port Aventura!

• G Force%s's Photo
    Strato coasters aren't bad rides, if anything they are worth it for the spectacle itself. Much rather have a TTD than some worthless GCI or B&M looper.
  • G Force%s's Photo

I've never been on Kingda Ka, but Top Thrill Dragster just makes me cringe. I can't stand it. Two hours of standing around for ten seconds of going really fast in a straight line. I guess they draw crowds but I just don't "get" this ride archetype.

TTD lines haven't been that long since 04-05, 95% of the time its less than 30mins, and has been for almost 10 years.
  • Coasterbill%s's Photo

I never "got" Kingda Ka or Top Thrill Dragster either... and then I rode them in the front. Holy Shit.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    Yeh same. I went to CP with my dad and the first time we rode TTD was in the middle. 2nd time he insisted we wait for the front. About an hour and a half. The front is absolutely insane. Probably the most rush of a ride ever.
  • MorganFan%s's Photo

I rode it in front twice 2 years ago. Especially in the 2nd train. Holy shit. Watching the train in front of you shoot off at 120 mph then climb that tower like it's nothing. Then knowing you're next. The anticipation alone almost makes the ride. Then it launches and you get to about 60 mph and you're like "OK, it's gotta stop accelerating sometime!" and it fucking doesn't. That shit is relentless.

I'm beyond excited to go back this year.

• G Force%s's Photo
    See what I mean. Much better than a looper or GCI...
  • Austin55%s's Photo

It makes sense why not many parks have them though. TTD and Millenium Force both were $25 million, so like 32 million today.  SFMM's apocolypse was 10. I imagine the maintenance on a ride like TTD is insane as well, where something like Shambhala is probably cheaper, and puts out more capacity and is more reliable as well. For reference, Shambhala  was 34 million. So PA is certainly a park that can afford such a thing. 

All the stats and numbers from rcdb.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

yeah, TTD is a much better value proposition now that lines aren't outrageous.  two 15-minute waits and one walk-on last time I went.

• Version1%s's Photo

Much better than a looper or GCI...

I guess you never rode a proper GCI.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Gcis are like my favorite coasters. But im totally into woodies

...hehe
  • FredD%s's Photo

You can't get a rush/kick on a GCI like you experience on TTD for example. The ride experience of TTD is so much more than just going up and down. That launch is awesome, on all levels. That crazy launch combined with the height gives it a kick you can't experience on any other coaster. I didn't feel TTD missed some extra elements, it's crazy as it is and all after that launch and tophat couldn't beat the previous part of the ride. Not saying TTD is the best coaster in the world, but it's one hell of a coaster experience!

• Version1%s's Photo

But GCI's will always be better coasters. Plus, I could say that you don't have those extremely fun turns on strata coasters, that GCI's have.

• FredD%s's Photo

But GCI's will always be better coasters. Plus, I could say that you don't have those extremely fun turns on strata coasters, that GCI's have.

Strata coasters aren't about turns, it's all about the kick you get from the launch and tophat. I didn't miss any turns on TTD.  Besides there are GCI's that aren't as fun as TTD. Wodan for example. My choice would be made quick if I had to chose between Wodan or TTD: TTD!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading