General Chat / Moving on from RCT (reinventing NE?)

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I'd welcome other games to NE, but on the very hard condition that there is a filter button to control which games are visible to you. Could lead to a very segregated community, but with a few common functions (banners/notifications in case of a notable release or contest/event) to make the filtered games minimally visible cross-pollination can still happen. But if letting in other games mean that 50% of the front page is stuff I'm not interested in, that would probably turn me away from the site a bit. I also wouldn't want to be involved with other games as an admin or organiser of events and shit.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

Those are all very good points, Liam. To which I whole-heartedly agree. Look at the controversy during H2H between LL and RCT2. And then imagine another game or two in the mix, lol.

• MCI%s's Photo

Would another subforum do the trick? Just create a new subforum for parkitect for example. We can use that forum like we used the old AD before NE5 arrived. This way we have a place to really share our parkitect stuff without bothering anyone who doesn´t want to see it.

• Louis!%s's Photo

I don't think it would be a segregate community because a lot of people have cross game likes.

Also if it ever got to a stage where contests would take place, there wouldn't be inter-game contests and obviously an admin that had no interest in running a contest for a particular game does not need to run anything for that game.

At the end of the day, NE to me is about the community. I don't care whatever games people play here as long as the amazing members we have remain, and we continue to get new ones.

I have no inspiration, motivation or desire to play RCT. I only ever download parks to vote, and that is done sparingly. The reason why I'm still here is the community.

• Brent%s's Photo

It's the site design. These forums and version has been crap since it started. Way too complicated/messy. Should go back to how NE2/3 looked.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    To be honest, Brent, NE2 was a complete mess, and very inaccessible too. I know that NE5 isn't perfect and the choices behind this design may not appeal to everyone (after all, NE is used by different people for different purposes/reasons), but I feel like you haven't really made an effort to get used to the site. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I can't look inside your head.
  • Scoop%s's Photo

ne4 fo life

• RCTMASTA%s's Photo

One month necro but I really don't give a shit.

Hopefully one of these new games will help rekindle the spark I lost years ago. From the look of things Planet Coaster may be just what I need to get back into parkmaking, and it would be awesome if NE becomes a place to showcase creations in these upcoming theme park games alongside the classic RCT series.

And yeah, thoughts on the site design...I certainly have a few. Same as Brent's, but stronger.

Being 100% candid, NE5 is horseshit. Always has been to me. From the very first day it was implemented I found things I resented about it versus NE4, hell, even NE3.

I couldn't fathom why you switched away from that pleasant, smooth 4 design so quickly after its implementation. Yeah, the points ranking system was a pointless, artificial, needlessly arbitrary thing to have, but 4 had a lot more pros than it did cons, at least for me. Surely you could have implemented likes and the screenshot system and those advantages 5 has over 4 without having to do all of...this to everything?

I dearly miss the glossy smoothness and more intuitive interface of NE4, with a proper, easily usable forum, user titles and forum signatures, and more navigable interface. 4 made NE feel like home, 5 makes NE feel like a hospital. Combined with K0NG and FantastiCo's drama bullshit, the 5 redesign was most of the reason I stopped coming here.

One of these days I'll finish the handful of RCT 1 & 2 projects I have, hopefully. I've been on and off with RCT2 over the past four or five years but the drive just hasn't been coming to me, mainly because I know I'm not good enough and lost the motivation to better myself in RCT long ago after constantly being frustrated with my perpetual inability to raise myself to the standards NE wanted. Every time I visited the site--hell, even now--all I see are pictures of things I may never be skilled enough in the game to create. It wore down on me. Turned my admiration and praise into jealousy and envy. Not very healthy feelings to have, not that I realized I'd had them until after I did some soul-searching and introspection recently.

I could blame my drifting away from RCT on a change of interests or a lack of inspiration and creativity but the truth is I went to the wrong fansite for a young beginner, not that there were many options by 2007 that I knew of. That much was evident after that year temp ban I got in my first couple years here. I don't begrudge you for that, at least, posix and geewhzz; it was entirely within your right to do so and should have been my first indication that NE was the wrong site for me, and that I should've joined a hugbox like the Atari forums or some shit if I wanted to keep my love for the game--which NE stamped out--alive.

Yes, I'm being a drama llama. No, I don't give a shit. Had to air my grievances.

Anyway...hopefully one of these new games will rekindle the spark.

• Lowenaldo%s's Photo

Coaster Planet, that shit is the future, cant stop playing. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading