RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• Liampie%s's Photo

I filed a bug for the path/wall desync issue last year. The other thing you mention doesn't sound familiar for me.

https://github.com/O...CT2/issues/3516

Don't know why it was closed, because it wasn't fixed.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    Actually, I think I know what might cause that. I've noticed thab with clearance checks disabled, just passing the cursor near a path can cause it to disconnect. There was another bug reported recently related to ghos pieces causing desyncs - might this be another instance?
  • Broxzier%s's Photo

There is a fix for the issue of walls being removed when building a track, stall of path (with bridge mode) though then with clearance checks disabled. This fix does change the behaviour of building paths somewhat however, and I'd like your opinion on this. When building a path in bridge mode through a wall, the wall will no longer be removed, but the path will also not be connected. The same thing happens with paths to stalls. When there is a wall between the stall and the path, they will not be connected.

So we have a few options:

- Remove the walls when building through it (you'd have to rebuild scenery you want to keep)

- Keep the walls, and have the paths not be connected (can be changed through the tile inspector)

- Keep the wall, and force the paths to be connected (this requires some more work)

• Liampie%s's Photo

The third option seems like the obvious thing...

• G Force%s's Photo
    I actually don't mid the way ZC works now when it comes to walls in single player. Otherwise there would be no way to keep paths from connecting through walls.

It just creates a issue in MP, because when you place a wall over a path connection it will disconnect the next time you load into the server. Kind of like X7123 said, but it happens to me when I leave, then rejoin the server.

I'll try to post screenshots sometime today.
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Otherwise there would be no way to keep paths from connecting through walls.

You can directly adjust path connectivity in the tile inspector. And you can do some fun stuff with it - for example, you can make a path connect on one side but not on the other (this acts like a no-entry sign), or you can make path objects appear in the middle of a path:

Attached Image: tables.png

But I agree that paths shouldn't connect through walls by default - there are more times when you don't want that than when you do.

• G Force%s's Photo

You can directly adjust path connectivity in the tile inspector. And you can do some fun stuff with it - for example, you can make a path connect on one side but not on the other (this acts like a no-entry sign), or you can make path objects appear in the middle of a path:

Attached Image: tables.png

Wow, thats actually incredibly useful.  Now... if someone could implement a feature like that into RCTLL that would be AMAZING.

Now... this is what I'm talking about.

Initially I build a path, then place the arch walls over it using ZC, then palace down the benches... everything is normal and connected.

yzuEVU7.png?1

Then, I leave and re-join the server.  I then re-place the benches with lamps and the path appears as disconnected.

Now this disconnected can happen automatically.  As we've seen a few times in Ethiopia, and the bridge between Germany and Badlands before the vines were removed from the trellis.

RlHE5Xg.png?1

This only happens in MP, as I haven't been able to reproduce it in SP despite multiple efforts.

Here is another example:

Note the vine wall object above the path, which was placed using ZC.

Attached Image: pathglitch.PNG

Then, after re-joining...  note how the path is only disconnected in one direction (look at the hand rails), I'd imagine this direction is determined because the vine wall was placed on the tile with the flat piece of path.

Attached Image: pathglitch2.PNG

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Now... if someone could implement a feature like that into RCTLL that would be AMAZING.

I expect the same method would probably work unmodified in LL ... they're not that different when it comes to the basic map structure. Without the tile inspector it'll be a bit of a pain to locate the correct map elements though.
  • Highball%s's Photo

Is it possible, or would it even be possible, to change the map's orientation in OpenRCT? What I mean is when we increase or decrease a map's size, it is only the same two sides that change. Can the map's orientation change so that the other two will expand/contract instead? I suck at explaining things online, so if that makes no sense I can edit some screenshots to show what I mean.

Just wondering because this would be a huge thing for me since I made a dumbass layout mistake years ago... 

• imlegos%s's Photo

Hmm, rectangular maps could be interesting...

I take it you're asking to expand the other 2 directions, however I'd just ask for independent expansion of any of the 4 sides

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I don't think you can make the other sides expand - one corner of the map already at (0,0). Couldn't you instead increase the map size on the one side and then shift everything along until they line up with the other side?

• Highball%s's Photo

I don't think you can make the other sides expand - one corner of the map already at (0,0). Couldn't you instead increase the map size on the one side and then shift everything along until they line up with the other side?

If I'm understanding right, no I don't believe so. This is what I mean:

Attached Image: Dv3Ex1.png

This is the current alignment when I adjust the map size.

Attached Image: Dv3Ex2.png

This is what I'm wishing to do. Basically change the sides so I can use some of that wasted water area.

Attached Image: Dv3Ex3.png

This would be ideal so that I could keep the castle center and have more room in the back but I know this is the more unlikely route.

• nicman%s's Photo

If I'm understanding right, no I don't believe so. This is what I mean:

Attached Image: Dv3Ex1.png

This is the current alignment when I adjust the map size.

Attached Image: Dv3Ex2.png

This is what I'm wishing to do. Basically change the sides so I can use some of that wasted water area.

Attached Image: Dv3Ex3.png

This would be ideal so that I could keep the castle center and have more room in the back but I know this is the more unlikely route.

Once the openct2 devs add the copy paste, multiple items in the tile -inspector you will be able to just increase the map in one direction than 'move' your park.

• janisozaur%s's Photo

OpenRCT2 has just gained a new feature, which we hope you may find useful: "Cut-away View". Find more info on reddit: https://www.reddit.c..._hope_you_will/ or look at this demo on youtube (reddit post links to this): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC7Rq_5dt1I&feature=youtu.be

• RWE%s's Photo

Building interiors inc... Nice dude!

• posix%s's Photo

Wow that's great. Also should make checking out building insides much easier.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

Also makes it much easier to form a valid complaint against people who don't decorate interiors.

• Highball%s's Photo

Once the openct2 devs add the copy paste, multiple items in the tile -inspector you will be able to just increase the map in one direction than 'move' your park.

That's just what I needed to hear. Thanks! 

• Kumba%s's Photo

I seem to be missing something, how do you remove clearance checks (always build on zero clearance)?

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    Click and hold the cheats button, a dropdown menu will appear with the ZC cheat.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading