RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo
    As I mentioned in the PR for the improved B&M launch pieces, I think that it would be best to include sprites for several different launch types, and add an option in confi.ini for switching between the sprites. That way, realism builders could use hydraulic or flat-truss LIM launches for realism purposes, while casual players could choose which sprite they like most; for example, they might pick triangular-truss sprites since they resemble those used in RCT Classic and 'join' seamlessly with other giga track pieces. Unfortunately I lack the knowledge of C++ needed to create such a feature.
  • Nubbie%s's Photo
    Sounds complicated for specific sprite types while the original tracks stay the same - rather just one "universal" that should work for everyone
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

it does not for me, when its at 0ft I mean, because normally the giga track would not have supports. But maybe once the offset is fixed they will show up

No, it does not currently - I'm saying you could change that if you wanted. Not that I'm saying you should - I think it looked fine with the triple rail track. If the issue was that it's not quite accurate, then shouldn't the hydraulic launch be using quad rail track?

I think that it would be best to include sprites for several different launch types, and add an option in confi.ini for switching between the sprites.

It doesn't necessarily need to go in the config file - people who want to use different sprites locally could switch the sprites in g2.dat (you don't even need to rebuild the game to do this). I expect most people wouldn't bother to change defaults - I just think the hydraulic launch is a poor choice of default.

• nicman%s's Photo

No, it does not currently - I'm saying you could change that if you wanted. Not that I'm saying you should - I think it looked fine with the triple rail track. If the issue was that it's not quite accurate, then shouldn't the hydraulic launch be using quad rail track?

The quad track looks good when combined with the twister track, but when its combined with the triple-rail one, it looks really bad in my opinion. The flat track actually looks good when its combined

I just think the hydraulic launch is a poor choice of default.

I think it is a good choice, because most people recognize Intamin launch coasters, using the Hydraulic type, as most are. And the few others that don't, including other manufacturers, primary use the flat type. 

Anyway, i will let the devs decide which one to pick or a community vote or something. Once I finish the triple-rail ones.

• G Force%s's Photo

I think the triple rail track would be the best option, as it's the most universal....

However perhaps if it used the flat track instead, it would allow for more customization... as the triple rail is literally just he flat track with an extra piece underneath.  One could just add in the triple rail track to create the same effect.

The quad rail is where it gets tough, because the sprites don't line up correctly and the track itself is a bit to tall for most usage.  It would be great to have, but at the same time doesn't really add much other than a very specific ride type to be created, a ride type that almost no one does because of its poor scaling to the game.

Obviously I think that the B&M track should have its own unique sprite for the launch.

• Sephiroth%s's Photo
    What I'm hoping to see one day is a feature like the water coaster where you just select either 2, 3, or 4 rail track as you build, and then see similar levels of customization for launches, chain, brakes, catwalks, etc. And then maybe a separate window like a support builder that streamlines aligning angles and connections and saves objects, but that's a whole different can of worms I'm sure haha, or just me dreaming. Pretty sure it's me dreaming. :p
  • imlegos%s's Photo

Maybe if we get custom ride type capabilities

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo
    Maybe if we finally get a new save file format...
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Please no :(

• Nubbie%s's Photo

@Liampie 

Don't want a 2056x2056 park with 10.000 peeps? :(

Complete list: https://github.com/O...-of-game-limits

Do note, it's a far way off

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

@Liampie 

Don't want a 2056x2056 park with 10.000 peeps? :(

Sounds awful haha 

• nicman%s's Photo

Hopefully not.

• Nubbie%s's Photo

Has been talked about for years so eventually 

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    I really don't wanna see a new save file format, since that's gonna mark a divide between RCT2 and Open.
  • nicman%s's Photo

Its also too much work for an open-source project with few developers. I feel there should be other priorties before a new save format.

• Nubbie%s's Photo
    Has been talked about for years and been on the side for quite some time
    I think it's a good idea for mainstream users who only play OpenRCT2 - makes it more up-to-date and brings new elements to the game

About being too much work, the whole game got re-written to a new programming language, just give it some time.
    So far the game has been keeping RCT2 compability and will in the future, the save format will be optional.

People who want to use OpenRCT2 and save in its original fileformat can 
    (see comments bellow by Gymnasiast & janisozaur)
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    That sounds better. I think it's very very important to keep compatibility until you've absorbed all the RCT and straightened out all the issues like the shitty AI.
  • Gymnasiast%s's Photo
    What Matte says is simply not true. He is not in the dev team anyway.

We will move to our own file format. When that happens, exporting to SV6 will no longer be possible. Importing from RCT1 and RCT2 will always be possible.

Its also too much work for an open-source project with few developers. I feel there should be other priorties before a new save format.

I think we can decide for ourselves whether it's too much work or not.

Something that bothers me about NE is how often people here tell us how to develop and not to change anything. Here is the thing: if we cannot change things, there is no point developing OpenRCT2 further and we could stop bothering with it.
    That's not going to happen. The new file format will come, SV6 will be retired as an export.
  • janisozaur%s's Photo

The explanation provided by Nubbie isn't quite correct.

When we switch to new format, whenever that comes, the plan is to have one-way-only conversion. You will only be able to upgrade your saves and (likely) it will happen automatically, without user intervention. Once upgraded, we won't provide way to downgrade the saves.

We will make sure to make a release just before that happens, so if you want to, you can continue using it, but we probably won't support it very long. But hey, it's open source, so you're welcome to do to it whatever you need.

• Nubbie%s's Photo

Ooh, okey if it happens automatically and don't let people choose - then I understand why it sounds like a bad idea :s - Didn't know that it would break all compatibility

However if it's made clear when making maps and saves I presume it would be fair

(feels like having the option to save in the original RCT2 format for compatibility would be appreciated by some as OpenRCT2 has other neat features like HD-support :D )
    If it could be chosen like the invisible entrance, I think most would be satisfied (but the save-format as now is "outdated" with restrictions and should indeed get a upgrade and OpenRCT, would rather want new fun features etc to the game :p)

Like Gymnasiast said too, No, I'm not in the DEV-team

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading