RCT Discussion / OpenRCT: advantages and disadvantages

• imlegos%s's Photo

I'm still kinda hazy as to why people would desire to use RCT2 over ORCT2, since ORCT2 hasn't done much other then expand on what people like about RCT2 in the first place. Even trainers are being phased out by our cheat menu providing all the neccessary like Zero-Clearance, pinned park ratings, guest spawns, among other things. And it's also likely that even if we don't keep the exact same GUI style of RCT2 due to legal reasons, it's not unreasonable just to make it support vanilla GUI if the user has RCT2, similar to being able to use RCT1's title music in ORCT2.

• nicman%s's Photo

I'm still kinda hazy as to why people would desire to use RCT2 over ORCT2, since ORCT2 hasn't done much other then expand on what people like about RCT2 in the first place. Even trainers are being phased out by our cheat menu providing all the neccessary like Zero-Clearance, pinned park ratings, guest spawns, among other things. And it's also likely that even if we don't keep the exact same GUI style of RCT2 due to legal reasons, it's not unreasonable just to make it support vanilla GUI if the user has RCT2, similar to being able to use RCT1's title music in ORCT2.

Because openrct2 is still not perfect, there is always some things that we have to use vanilla for.  

• janisozaur%s's Photo

@Nubbie the reason why I expect it will be done automatically and without user intervention is very simple: it would cause significant maintenance burden having to keep compatible with two wildly different formats. We already support importing {TD,SC,SV}4 and we only managed to do so, because we internally convert them to respectively {TD,SC,SV}6. It will be the same in the future: we will convert *6 to the new format internally and there won't be a way back.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Because openrct2 is still not perfect, there is always some things that we have to use vanilla for.

There's nothing you have to use vanilla for - anything supported by vanilla should work in OpenRCT2. There's some stuff that's not in the cheat menu, but you can work around that either by editing the save file by other means, or just implementing the feature you need.

There are several features trainers don't seem to have either, so keeping compatibility with vanilla isn't a complete cure for missing functionality, and it severely limits the improvements that can be made. One of the most requested features is removal of the object limit, and that cannot happen without a new save format.

• nicman%s's Photo

So as with most people prefered the LIM sprites, I went and made them for the flat track and the triple-rail track: (note the offset is not correct)

Attached Image: hack park 2017-04-27 16-47-28.png

Attached Image: hack park 2017-04-27 17-57-00.png

As for the hydraulic sprites, I will put them into scenery objects and post them on my custom scenery page.

• G Force%s's Photo

Other than the little mis-alignment offset these are fantastic!

• nicman%s's Photo

Other than the little mis-alignment offset these are fantastic!

It will be fixed, once they are incorporated.

• G Force%s's Photo

Have you ever though of making tire drives?  Like for example on RMC's or many Intamins?

Doesn't necessarily have to be a special track piece, just another option to have.

• nicman%s's Photo

Have you ever though of making tire drives?  Like for example on RMC's or many Intamins?

Doesn't necessarily have to be a special track piece, just another option to have.

nope. 

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Adding new track pieces requires an awkward hack right now.

When there's a new file format this will become much easier because we'll be able to actually add track pieces instead of reusing the same piece for different things (the booster piece is the same as the spinning control toggle - it was modified to behave as a booster track on any ride type other than the wild mouse)
  • bigshootergill%s's Photo

Just a little help... I can't remember where the dump file goes. Thanks! :p

• G Force%s's Photo

Its in the openrct2 folder probably located in your "my documents", its up one level from where screenshots are saved.

• janisozaur%s's Photo
    On a systemd-enabled system, the default path is /var/lib/systemd/coredump
  • nicman%s's Photo

On a systemd-enabled system, the default path is /var/lib/systemd/coredump

bigshootergill uses windows. 

• nicman%s's Photo

Updated the sprites again, after they were found to be too big for the trains after the offset were fixed:

Attached Image: hack park 2017-05-01 16-34-44.png

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    Nice
  • Gymnasiast%s's Photo

Recently two fixes for the AI have been merged. The first one should avoid peeps getting into a queue line without actually queuing. The second one fixes the pathfinding of mechanics if there are wide paths in his assignment area.

If you encounter situations where OpenRCT2's path finding is still worse than vanilla, please open an issue on Github along with a screenshot, a save and an explanation.

• Gymnasiast%s's Photo

nicman's new sprites have been merged:

Six-Flags-Holland-2017-05-02-22-14-54.pn

The flat booster sprites have been added as booster sprites for the Mini and Spiral roller coaster (that share all drawing methods in OpenRCT2 anyway). Keep in mind you cannot build boosters on the Mini/Spiral RC in OpenRCT2 - you will have to convert another coaster into a Mini RC in order for it to work.

• imlegos%s's Photo

RIP YSL sprites

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

I'm fine with it, as long as they actually look better than the previous sprites and Nicman's not just doing it to get rid of mine :p

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading