Music Forum / sammys list of perfect songs

• SSSammy%s's Photo

what is my definition of a perfect song?

usually its a pop song. i don't mean perfect as in without flaw, rather one that balances art while being accessible and wonderful. usually impactful and short but not always. completely subjective but that being said i am objectively correct. they're released pop songs for the most part.

these songs do not usually reflect my ultimate ideal of "the best music". its usually more "huh, can't really find anything to hate."

I will constantly update this list when i hear/think of them. feel free to chime in/ call me a tasteless hack.

crazy in love - beyonkkkkk

brianstorm - arctic monkeys

i believe in a thing called love - the darkness

crying lightining - arctic monkeys

rather be - clean bandit ft jess glynn

knights of cydonia - muse

read my mind - the killers

hounds of love - kate bush

running up that hill - kate bush

lately - stevie wonder

shake it off - taylor swift

can't stop - red hot chili peppers - *sammy award for best music video ever without a doubt

cruel - st vincent

gun- chvrches

bad romance - lady gaga

cry me a river - justin trousersnake

crazy - gnarls barkley

roxanne - the police

trouble - coldplay - if ever there was proof of the concept. i really don't like coldplay, but this is a great song.

she will be loved - maroon 5 - their first album was incredible. not really worth listening to anything else tho.

uptown funk - mark ronson ft bruno mars - it pisses me off that this was so overplayed as i only started apreciating it recently and it can never sit right with me considering its been ruined for me by overplaying

mr blue sky - electric light orchestra

everlong - foo fighters

what a fool believes - doobie brothers

lean on - major lazer

Problem - Ariana Grande

edit 10/02/16 - added mr blue sky

edit 11/02/16 - added everlong + what a fool believes

edit 28/02/16 - added lean on

edit 19/10/16 - added problem

• alex%s's Photo

Well I'll be the first to call you a tasteless hack... soz SSSammy :p (Coming from an insufferable snob though if that's any consolation). I'll mull this over and post a list soon. Cool thread, I'm very interested in the idea of a perfect pop song.

• MCI%s's Photo

I agree with "Can´t stop".

• csw%s's Photo

Nice list. The only artists there I'm a real fan of are early Coldplay and St. Vincent, but I also like Crazy and Shake it Off. Very respectable music tastes there sammy

• MorganFan%s's Photo
    I'd like to add.

Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap
    Gooey - Glass Animals
    Man On Fire - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
    Home - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
    Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Harder Better Faster Stronger - Daft Punk
    Midnight City - M83
    Kids - MGMT
    Lisztomania - Phoenix
    Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
    Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend
    Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John
    Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear
    Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
    Trojans - Atlas Genius
    Furr - Blitzen Trapper
    Welcome Home, Son - Radical Face
    Verona - Geographer
    Ceiling of Plankton - Givers
    Billions of Eyes - Lady Lamb
    The John Wayne - Little Green Cars
    Katie Queen of Tennessee - The Apache Relay
    VCR - The xx
    Generator ^ First Floor - Freelance Whales
    Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second - Starfucker

There's my taste in music. Or at least what I think are the best indie/alt singles or whatever.
  • Version1%s's Photo

knights of cydonia - muse

I've listened to a couple of the songs and I agree, that there is not much to hate about them. But this song sucks hard. Never got the love for Muse.

• SSSammy%s's Photo

lol sorry

• G Force%s's Photo

I've listened to a couple of the songs and I agree, that there is not much to hate about them. But this song sucks hard. Never got the love for Muse.

Smh
  • Chocotopian%s's Photo

What do you mean by "accessible", SSSammy?

As for me, I like songs that try something a bit different. Not in a hipster "it's so mainstream" kind of way, but just something that makes it unique. Sometimes just an unusual instrument, time signature or verse structure can do it.

I'm also quite particular about lyrics. I find a lot of songs nowadays are very lacking in this area, with lazy, vague, cliche, repetitive and/or boring lyrics, and rely instead on simply a catchy tune. When a song really goes to town with poignant, clever and well-crafted words and verses, I usually take a shine to it. Half-rhymes generally annoy the hell out of me, but I will admit that my favourite line in Knights of Cydonia is "How can we win when fools can be kings?"

• Version1%s's Photo

I just don't get the idea behind this threat: "Hey guys, here is a list of songs that are good". Great, you know how many great songs there are? Literally thousands. I think every single user could come up with a list of perfect songs for him.

Idk, I guess I just hope for discussions on boards like this and this is merely a list.

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Arab on Rader-Attack on Tijuana

Daughters-Our Queens

Brainiac-Hot Seat Can't Sit Down

Nation of Ulysses-Mainiac Dragstrip

Unwound-Here Come the Dogs

Converge-Bare My Teeth

This Heat-A New Kind of Water

The Fall-Just Step S'Ways

The Locust-God Wants Us All to Work in Factories

• RCT2day%s's Photo

Wow, I actually agree a lot with what Sammy said.  Trouble, Can't Stop, Read my Mind, Knights of Cydonia, Mr. Blue Sky, all great songs.

• Austin55%s's Photo

KoC is so silly/epic. I love it. I'm a fanboy but there's quite a few Muse songs I'd nominate. 

"Everlong" is another song that never fails to get me to turn up the volume if it pops up on the radio. 

• Version1%s's Photo

Ok, here are some perfect metal songs:

Painkiller - Judas Priest

Holy Wars...The Punishement Due - Megadeth

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden - The very definition of "epic"

Ace of Spades - Motörhead - RIP Lemmy

Master of Puppets - Metallica - You could argue that the whole album is perfect

Nightfall - Blind Guardian

Dying for an Angel - Avantasia

Unbreakable - Stratovarius

I Want Out - Helloween

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Hells Bells - AC/DC

Limited myself to one song per band.

• MCI%s's Photo

^I prefer Back in Black and half of the Bon Scott songs over Hells Bells actually.

And how could you of all people forget this one?

Chop Suey - System of a Down

• Version1%s's Photo

I chose Hells Bells, because I wrote metal songs at the top and Hells Bells is arguably AC/DCs most metal song. Chop Suey of course belongs in that list.

• SSSammy%s's Photo

KoC is so silly/epic. I love it. I'm a fanboy but there's quite a few Muse songs I'd nominate. 

"Everlong" is another song that never fails to get me to turn up the volume if it pops up on the radio. 

adding

also everyone, i feel like people aren't reading the first post. its my opinion. also, it's not what i think is the best music. for example, there's only 1 RHCP song on there. there's no king crimson or snarky puppy or hiatus kaiyote or nels cline or steely dan, all of which i have been playing the crap out of recently.

i can say that the entirety of Steely Dans album Aja is PERFECT to me. however, it is not appropriate to this list.

• Faas%s's Photo

Crazy in Love by Beyoncé is one of the best songs ever made. 

• Version1%s's Photo

Well, it depends how many songs fit in the "one of the best songs ever made" category

• G Force%s's Photo
    Music is possibly the most opinionated art form on the planet. I find it pretty useless to argue about top song lists generated by other people.

However I do really enjoy these lists, exposes a lot of stuff that I've never heard before, which is always great.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading