RCT Discussion / G Force's "The List"

• G Force%s's Photo

Well, I came up with this idea 3-4 months ago, in an attempt to create a modern top 100 list of NE parks that were released after the latest version of the Iris list was posted, which is found here.  Basically everything released on NE post Dimension: Realms of Creation, released May 28th, 2007.  This includes Watkins Woods through Scientifica (released 7/1/2007 and 3/2/16 respectively).  I will try and update the list as new parks are released as well as refine rankings for newer parks as their impacts are felt.  

Now, this is not meant to be official in any way, although someday I hope it can become an official part of NE, with some diversified input of course.

So any suggestions or opinions would be cool to hear, if you think I missed something or should change the rankings of a park or two I'm open to suggestions.  Granted, I want this to be somewhat separate from the community score ranking, which is kind of a mess at the moment when you go pre NE5, at least in my opinion.

My official criteria/system focuses on the following factors: AP Score, Impact, Memorability, Community Score, Fans, Innovativeness, Creativity, degree of difficulty, concept, map size, builders.  This is not a 100% specific or all inclusive list, just a general idea of the things I am considering when developing these rankings.  Again, this is welcome to input.

Here is a link to the google doc spreadsheet: Click Me.

Along with a top 10 preview here:

LDUOpwY.png?1

Also included on this page, below the new rankings, is the original Iris version.  I still need to fill in the data for some of the parks, but about half of it is there currently.  

Part of the reason I'm posting this is so we can maybe get some more votes and attention on older parks, some of the data is not very representative of the the park due to only having a few community ratings etc...

• Stoksy%s's Photo

No real arguments with the top 10 there, I'll have to go back through all my old saves to remember stuff though. Possibly BGA should sneak into the top 10, I personally wouldn't have Lenox Mall there but I haven't looked at that park in quite a while to be fair.

The third list with WOMB at the top is Iris' original one correct?

• alex%s's Photo

Nice list. Do you plan to create an aggregate one combining this with Iris's list?

La Reve ought to be higher, at the very least above Lijiang and Raptor.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Ah i see, its statistical. Thought it might have just been your opinion, but thats cool also

No wait it is opinion based? Idk haha
  • G Force%s's Photo

No real arguments with the top 10 there, I'll have to go back through all my old saves to remember stuff though. Possibly BGA should sneak into the top 10, I personally wouldn't have Lenox Mall there but I haven't looked at that park in quite a while to be fair.

The third list with WOMB at the top is Iris' original one correct?

Yes, the third list with WOMB at the top is the original Iris version.  BGA was a tough one, definitely can change as time passes, its definitely not a list set and stone.

Nice list. Do you plan to create an aggregate one combining this with Iris's list?

La Reve ought to be higher, at the very least above Lijiang and Raptor.

La Reve is certainly polarizing, personally I'm not the biggest fan of the park, as it seems like a bit of a mess of ideas.  Individual portions are great certainly but it doesn't come together that well.  Can't say it was that impactful or influential, we haven't seen any fantasy heavy high detailed parks since, which hurts it a bit.

Ah i see, its statistical. Thought it might have just been your opinion, but thats cool also

No wait it is opinion based? Idk haha

Its kind of a mix, mostly its opinion based.  I had to come up with some sort of criteria though and originally score statics provided the baseline starting point.

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

Fun idea! Lots of work too, holy crap! Good on ya G-force.

At first I didn't expect to see anything I did on this list, but then figured Asteroid Fields might be there. Well it was on the first 15 out which was good enough for me. But then I noticed Paradise Pier is 61st on the list, but lost in H2H7 finals in voting to Asteroid Fields. Seems wonky, which might make the rest of the list a bit wonky too. Either way, fun project bro!

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Funny, we're both making a list! I prefer mine. :p

Anyway, pretty good work, and a pretty balanced list. There are a few parks that stand out to me here... If you're taking into account its influence, Castle Howard should be way higher. That park changed shit. Piraña should be above De Vliengende Hollander/Python I think, the latter was just a less innovative continuation of the first which actually introduced large trees. Rowling vs. Tolkien shouldn't be near this list. I don't think Starpointe should be as high, at least BGA should surpass it. And I think BGA should surpass Thorpe too. Personally I'm not quite a fan of Montferland, almost everything in that park was ripped off. That's okay, but it shouldn't be on a list like this. I don't understand how high Atlantis Resort is, there's dozens upon dozens if not at least a hundred parks that should come before it.
  • Faas%s's Photo
    No Faas, list is broken.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

Wow. That must have taken quite some time.

It's interesting to see how a (relative) newcomer makes this list. Especially because it displays what someone who has been on this website for less than five years, thinks were the most important parks before that time. That's - of course - not to say your list is bad. I'm especially interested in seeing what older members (like Liam) have to say about some entries.

• G Force%s's Photo

Fun idea! Lots of work too, holy crap! Good on ya G-force.

At first I didn't expect to see anything I did on this list, but then figured Asteroid Fields might be there. Well it was on the first 15 out which was good enough for me. But then I noticed Paradise Pier is 61st on the list, but lost in H2H7 finals in voting to Asteroid Fields. Seems wonky, which might make the rest of the list a bit wonky too. Either way, fun project bro!

That's where the opinion part comes in...  :p

Funny, we're both making a list! I prefer mine. :p

Anyway, pretty good work, and a pretty balanced list. There are a few parks that stand out to me here... If you're taking into account its influence, Castle Howard should be way higher. That park changed shit. Piraña should be above De Vliengende Hollander/Python I think, the latter was just a less innovative continuation of the first which actually introduced large trees. Rowling vs. Tolkien shouldn't be near this list. I don't think Starpointe should be as high, at least BGA should surpass it. And I think BGA should surpass Thorpe too. Personally I'm not quite a fan of Montferland, almost everything in that park was ripped off. That's okay, but it shouldn't be on a list like this. I don't understand how high Atlantis Resort is, there's dozens upon dozens if not at least a hundred parks that should come before it.

Castle Howard was something I struggled to rank, as I am somewhat unfamiliar with that release when it came out.  I'll look into it more though, as I am aware it was quite influential in terms of foliage and landscape.  Pirana and Python is another pair I have to look at again,  Pirana definitely wins in terms of uniqueness, but I think Python is far superior in terms of quality.  When it comes to BGA, its probably something that will move as time passes, I doubt it will move much higher than 8 or 9 though.  The combination of the rushed aspects and unfinished nature keeps it from breaking into the to 7 or 8.

Wow. That must have taken quite some time.

It's interesting to see how a (relative) newcomer makes this list. Especially because it displays what someone who has been on this website for less than five years, thinks were the most important parks before that time. That's - of course - not to say your list is bad. I'm especially interested in seeing what older members (like Liam) have to say about some entries.

Well, I've been in the RCT community for about 10 years at this point, I remember when parks like WW, Zippos, Lenox, Belmont etc.. were released.  I haven't been active that much until about a year ago but I was around from about 2007 through 2009, just not super active in the forums.  I have asked quite a few older members as well, including Nin, Austin55 and to an extent Liam in some of the hangouts.  So its not 100% my opinion, it has some input from others as well.

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

Zippo's 4ever!

• Louis!%s's Photo

None of my work is high enough.

Fuck you G

• robbie92%s's Photo

Workbench Park #1

• G Force%s's Photo

Liseberg added, currently number 45.  GalaxyGeeland dropped from the list, Asteroid Field added at number 96, and Castle Howard moved to number 36.

• dr dirt%s's Photo
    The lack of things other than hard realism is disappointing. Not sure if it's just that they aren't being built or you just prefer realism.
  • G Force%s's Photo

The lack of things other than hard realism is disappointing. Not sure if it's just that they aren't being built or you just prefer realism.

Combination of both I guess, although I think the fact that it is not being built is the bigger factor in this case.

• Kumba%s's Photo

I really like the effort you put into this, but I don't think it should mean much to anyone. You are not even ranking just over half the parks ever made. You also seem to be a little bias towards realistic parks, tho not entirely.

A community list would be great, or some type of consensus. Just the issue is that few of the people around now were also around at the start and can really recall the older classics. One person's opinion does not mean too much. iris ran NE as a dictator, so it was a little different.

• G Force%s's Photo

Scientifica added at #51

Luna Park added at #16

G Force's Worlds of Fun added at #43 (will probably be moved down, always feel awkward ranking my own parks)

Current list:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

I'll try to finish filling in the info on the old list soon, some parks have gotten scores now so hopefully it will be a bit more complete.

• G Force%s's Photo

Discovery Bay added at #5

It took me a really long time to figure out a ranking for this, but at this point I believe that I can say its the best LL park post Watkins.  At least in my opinion, and the opinion of the Accolade Panel.

Current list:

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

New Top 10:

Disney's American Waterfront

Zippo's

Starpointe

Kumba

Discovery Bay

SFC

Lenox Mall

Siege of Jerusalem

El Encierro

BGA

Pretty happy with that top 10 to be honest, not only as a reflection of my own preference, but with a good deal of consideration for the community's as well.

• Louis!%s's Photo

Not convinced about Zippo's or SFC being in that top 10, but hey ho, your opinion and what not lol

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading