NE Olympics '16 / NE Olympics Rules & Regulations

• csw%s's Photo

As far as I know, every park that's original RCT2 can be opened in OpenRCT2, but not every OpenRCT2 park can be opened in RCT2. So I guess that rule means if you build in OpenRCT2, it has to be openable in RCT2. Correct me if I'm wrong

• Scoop%s's Photo
    Your correct. When I build I'm probably going to build in openrct and then do complicated hacks in vanilla.
  • Da_Cool%s's Photo

Just curious why should the parks be compatible with open rct2? This really limits the hacks you can do... I haven't tried it yet but from reactions I've seen most of my work isn't compatible with open rct2. It also limits the ability to use custom color schemes or a modified exe to enable some stuff...

Open used to crash when you did the double stations hack but that should be fixed now. 

If by custom color schemes you mean a nighttime filter or a black/white filter, these work in open and can be changed in-game. You can also disable breakdowns in open, which removes the need for rct-reliable(I haven't seen anyone use any other modified exe).

• csw%s's Photo

So perhaps the rule should read, "All parks built using OpenRCT2 must also be compatible with RCT2" since there are no compatibility issues when opening RCT2 parks in OpenRCT2. 

• disneylandian192%s's Photo

So perhaps the rule should read, "All parks built using OpenRCT2 must also be compatible with RCT2" since there are no compatibility issues when opening RCT2 parks in OpenRCT2. 

I think this may be the simplest way to word it. Once you also include the option to include two saves, one that works with RCT2 and one that works with Open (in the unforeseeable situation where the vanilla park cannot be opened in Open), I think all of the bases are covered. 

In the end, if your park is compatible with both platforms, great! Just include a single version (or roofs/no roofs or whatever). If you did some fancy Levis shit and it doesn't play well with Open, include two versions. One with the fancy Levis shit for vanilla and one without for open. There are plenty members now I believe who are solely running Open (myself included due my use of OSX). To not face this reality risks excluding parts of this population which would be unfortunate. 

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Just curious why should the parks be compatible with open rct2? This really limits the hacks you can do... I haven't tried it yet but from reactions I've seen most of my work isn't compatible with open rct2. It also limits the ability to use custom color schemes or a modified exe to enable some stuff...

OpenRCT2 should support all hacks from RCT2 unless you're doing stuff you probably shouldn't (like indexing arrays out of bounds). It has had problems with certain hacks in the past, and there are probably still some it doesn't work with, but most such issues will be treated as a bug and fixed. I haven't had any problems opening parks intended for vanilla in quite a while.

Also, if you're requiring people to use a modified executable, how is that any different to requiring people to use OpenRCT2? Can people make parks that won't work in either game as long as they supply the corresponding program to open it with?

• janisozaur%s's Photo

I challenge you on that.

Please provide a park that is not compatible with OpenRCT2.

I also say exactly the opposite about what you said about being able to use modified executable to enable some stuff – it is now easier than ever to do exactly that, as you can clearly make out all the interdependencies between objects.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I think Levis's assumption is based on old information. The thing that made Cocopa Bay (a park we both worked on, released around Christmas) incompatible with OpenRCT has since been fixed, the other day it opened just fine for me!

So in practice the compatibility rule is not as complex as it sounds. There are not many functions that will make a park incompatible with the default game, and you've have to try really hard to make a savegame incompatible with Open.
  • Gymnasiast%s's Photo

I'd like to add that if a park cannot be opened in OpenRCT2, while it works in vanilla, we consider that a bug in OpenRCT2. So if anyone is affected by that, please report it.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Are we allowed to change the object selection for this (i.e use ParkDat)? I didn't see anything about it in the rules but I know the Reddit contest doesn't allow it. Is it allowed here?

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Most of the disciplines don't come with a bench or any restrictions to the map, so you'll be very free on what objects you can use.
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

OK, cool.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    I'd like to point out that if the rules are unclear, you can always ask here or in one of the discipline's topics if it concerns one of those.
  • Zaiush%s's Photo

Since I don't see any rules about it, are the H2H rules about keeping the park's creators hidden scrapped?

And how will submission and voting for each discipline work?

• Da_Cool%s's Photo

For the pentathlon and biathlon challenge, can we build more than just the ingredients? Let's say for the biathlon, could one submit a park containing a steel rollercoaster,a custom flat, a flume and a wooden rollercoaster or are we supposed to just build the ingredients?

• Liampie%s's Photo

Since I don't see any rules about it, are the H2H rules about keeping the park's creators hidden scrapped?

And how will submission and voting for each discipline work?

We will make an official statement on that in the future, but it looks like voting will be done the Micro Madness way: two public polls in which everyone can pick their favourite and second favourite.

For the pentathlon and biathlon challenge, can we build more than just the ingredients? Let's say for the biathlon, could one submit a park containing a steel rollercoaster,a custom flat, a flume and a wooden rollercoaster or are we supposed to just build the ingredients?

Definitely!
  • inthemanual%s's Photo

Additional content is allowed, but the focus should remain on the elements required.
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

So I have a question about 4.7 - if we were to submit a park where a portion of the content is obscured (e.g part of the park is indoors, or underground), is it OK to also include a "cut away" version where the obscuring elements are removed?

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    Yes, that's fine.
  • thirteen%s's Photo

I have some small quesionts about these rules:

so basically if we are a country of 4 guys, we theoretically could submit 4 entries, if they were all solos? or 2 entries built by 2 guys, but one can not work on both entries? So it doesnt matter how many athletes work on one discipline at all!?

5.6 - A Country may submit multiple entries per discipline, except for the Parade of Flags
    5.7 - No member can contribute to more than one entry per discipline

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading