Custom Scenery Exchange / Frog Hopper

• MattNE2014%s's Photo

A while back, I found the Frog Hopper ride on Theme Park Review. However, I was hoping it would operate normally-peeps get on, ride operates, riders get off, new riders come on, etc.  Does anyone on these boards know who made that ride? I know it is based on the motion simulator ride....I was hoping a normal version of it could be made.   There was no such option in the ride settings. Thanks for your help

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    I assume you are referring to HOPPER01.DAT ... that is an absolutely ingenious use of the motion simulator animation sequence, really. Probably one of my favourite custom flat rides for that reason alone.

It's not clear to me what you mean by "operates normally", but I assume you are referring to the fact that it shows peeps even when empty? That's because most custom flat rides are made by simply replacing the sprites of an existing ride, and the motion simulator has no peep sprites, so the peeps are actually rendered as part of the ride. The use of the restraint sequence to mimic loading is a clever workaround - set it on "wait for full load" and you'd barely notice.

The more interesting question is whether you can make a version of the ride with actual peeps, and this I don't know, though I believe the answer is probably "yes". The number of peeps is not hardcoded, but what makes the motion simulator special is that it carries peeps but doesn't have sprites for them. I don't know whether this behaviour is hardcoded to the ride type or set by a flag, though the latter seems more likely to me. I have not looked at flat rides as much as tracked rides.

You could of course use a different ride as a base. The pirate ship would work, but has an awkward footprint and I think the frame might be hardcoded which would ruin it. The twist might also work. However, there are very few rides to choose from and an awful lot is hardcoded. Doing a custom flat ride well is a lot harder than doing a custom tracked ride, and some ideas just won't work.
  • MattNE2014%s's Photo

Yes,  I am refering to HOPPER01.  I will give the "wait for full load" option a try. All of the rides I have, be it from the game itself, Amazing Earl's rides, etc. "operate normally" - peeps get in queue line, X number get on, rides does its thing, riders disembark, next group gets on, and so on. I am not as savvy as the ride designers, so I have NO idea as to how to make my own rides.  Hahaha.  As for the Pirate Ship footprint, I agree, the 1x5 space it takes up is indeed unusual. I appreciate the info you gave me, X7123M3-256.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    None of AE's rides are based on the motion simulator which is to my knowledge the only flat ride that's totally missing peep sprites. AE does however have several rides based on the enterprise and swinging inverter ship which only show peeps during loading, not while the ride is in operation. I don't yet know if this is a fundamental limit of the game or just of the tool used.
  • MattNE2014%s's Photo

As it turns out putting a check mark in the "Wait For" box in settings was all I needed to do.  Now it operates as it should. The only weird thing, and this is because its based on the Motion Simulator ride, is that the peeps go up the stairs to get on, they disappear as if they were going inside the ride, they reappear once 8 peeps are on, the ride does its thing, they disappear for a split second and reappear and disembark.  

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo
    Yes, that's because this ride doesn't have actual peep sprites. The peep slprites are baked into the ride, and the illusion of peeps getting on and off is provided through the animation tha was originally used for the doors. Since the doors don't close until every peep has boarded, they disappear in the interim. You will also notice that the colors of the peeps on the ride are fixed.
  • MattNE2014%s's Photo

I actually did notice that about the peeps, but I don't mind. As long as the ride operates like the others, I'm good....thanks for your help, buddy

• Lagom%s's Photo

Sorry to hijack your thread.
    I'm trying to make a simple, custom, non peepable, Frog Hopper. I tried to use X7123M3's Dive Coaster Trains. (10 or 8 seater), but it appears you can't use only one car. As far as I understand the minimum is two cars. Is there a way around this problem?

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

To be honest, I didn't really think about how those trains would interact with cheats - I remember at the time I realized it would only work properly with two or three cars but there was no cheat to change train length then so it wasn't a problem. I can't remember why it was set up that way. Setting the train length to zero would give you a single car, but OpenRCT2 doesn't let you do that directly (which is also my fault because I implemented that cheat).

While the DAT probably needs fixing my ride generator needs improvement before I do that, so for now the workaround is to spawn a ride that will allow you to set a single vehicle, then edit the vehicle subtype to point at the vehicle you actually want to use. I find the easiest way to do this is to patch vehicle_create_car to override the supplied subtype and then respawn the train with the patch applied (then revert it before you mess anything else up).

• MattNE2014%s's Photo

In RCT2 Objects for the search term "tumble", there is TUMBLE 01 and TUMBLE02 by MidWestBoyinLA. Those are from RCTmart, which appears down....but there is also RETUMBLE...Anyone know what that is?

• G Force%s's Photo

Matt try this: http://www.nedesigns.../7585/retumble/  

• MattNE2014%s's Photo

Looks like rctmart may be finally down for good :(....Got a lot of good stuff from there

• mintliqueur%s's Photo

As for the original question, I believe the frog hopper was made by a guy using the alias Squiggle, in about 2004-2005, at what was then called RCT2.com (now RCTSpace). I can't remember him being very active in the community aside from making that ride, and it's probably no use trying to track him down so many years later...

• Puget Sound%s's Photo

Looks like rctmart may be finally down for good :(....Got a lot of good stuff from there

Thank God for the Internet Archive...
  • MattNE2014%s's Photo

mintliqeur-I never intended to track Squiggle down.  I found frog hopper a couple weeks ago on this site as well as Theme Park Review.  Thanks to X7123M3-256, I have the ride operating in a normal fashion....

• MattNE2014%s's Photo

While I'm at it, does anyone know if there is a cheat to modify/enlarge the 4x4 grid area that handymen/mechanics, etc patrol? So lets say I wanted them to cover a 5x5 or 6x6 area, is there a cheat that allows such a thing? Just thought I'd Inquire....Thanks for any info you can provide...

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

The 4x4 alignment is hardcoded so you certainly can't have 5 or 6 since those would never be 4 tile aligned. You could certainly have a cheat to set the size to a larger multiple of 4, but I don't know whether such a cheat exists.

• MattNE2014%s's Photo
    Too bad the game programmers didn't allow for an option to adjust the grid-sized patrol area to be anywhere from 4x4 up to say 8x8.....oh well.
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

You could make 8x8 work if you wanted to. The point is, the game only stores one flag per 4x4 square, so you can't set patrol areas more precisely than that. The tool size would have to be a multiple of 4.

• MattNE2014%s's Photo
    I was wondering if anyone knew of the Top Scan 3x3 flat thrill ride or Mystic Orbiter (also 3x3 thrill flat) from a park called Dream World on Theme Park Review.....

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading