RCT Discussion / Rank the Coasters in your parks

• G Force%s's Photo

Kind of curious to see what people would put as their best coasters, and how that might compare with popular opinion.  I'm going to rank them considering all criteria, kind of like a design, but feel free to rank them however you'd like.

Here's mine:

1. Patriot at WoF - Pretty self explanitory, epic layout from Pac, terrain, and personally one of my favorite Stations/surroundings.  A key addition to the park that came near the end of constructoin that really pulled the map together an pushed it over the top.

2. Wizer at Westwinds - Lots of points for uniquness, and some of the best support work I've ever done.  Station, setting and surrondings were lovely too and some of my favorite stuff to build in the park.  Again, a late addition that really pulled the map together and gave it something memorable.

3. Mamba at WoF - Maybe a bit of a suprise pick, but I love the location and scale of this ride, how it towers over everything else, how it starts in the middle of hte park on a hill and ends up way outside the park all alone.

4. Fury at Westwinds - Probably another less popular pick, perhaps a bit of a clunky layout and some awkward and "sterile" surroundings.  However, one of the coolest locations and best interaction I've done and I just love the vertical drop and its unqiueness compared to most other hypers.

5. Beowulf at WoF - How can you not go wrong with interlocking loops?  A great layout from Austin and surroundings that I really like.  Pretty good name as well, which always is a underapreicated aspect I think people overlook when building coasters.

6. BiZaRrO design - Probably the best layout I've done personally.  I really like the surroundings and support work on this coaster as well, even if the station and themeing isn't anything special.

7. Bandit at WoF - Another coaster I really wanted to do partially due to its uniqueness, as very few people have attempted "awkward" CCI coasters in the past.  Plus, one of my favorite settings and overall ride design tha I've done.

8. Orient Express at WoF - Great layout by Austin that really pushed the envalope for SLC's, combined with supports that really turned out better thant I would have imagined.  Only complaint here would be the color choice, which was a constant struggle and admittatiely wasn't the best.

9. Voodoo at Westwinds - Like I said in the fbf screen, I love the ride design and station.  Super belivable and a great location, despite the layout's simplicity.

10. Flight Deck at Westwinds - Kind of a wildcard, a coaster that I was unsure about nearly the entire time I was building the park.  However, it turned out alright despite being probably one of the oldest things build in the park.  A bit awkward in the supports and layout, definitely a ride style I would love to re-do in a Design.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Since there understandably kind of is a taboo on liking your own work, I think this is a great topic idea. Will reply soon, looking forward to making my own list. :)
  • Jappy%s's Photo

I'm not even sure I've got ten coasters to comment on! :p I'll wait till Piano Park is released.

• Stoksy%s's Photo

Had to go through my profile page to see which coasters I've built lol (will rank from 2014, since the two 'releases' from 2010 are horrifically bad)

I don't think I've ever really been consistently 'happy' with a coaster layout I've built bar Thunderhead which was a competition entry. A lot of the time I make a layout and just reach a point of 'good enough' before theming it. See ExtinctionJawsEtherealExpedition Everest - all flawed layouts which could be better. Very happy with how Polar Express turned out though, and despite iffy surroundings I still think Ishtar was quite a solid layout (although Austin's in WoF put it to shame a bit haha).

1. Thunderhead @ 2016 Survivor JK Tribe [easily the best layout I've ever made, would have been slightly more spread out absent the limitations of the competition but perhaps the limitations actually helped with achieving the quality of the end-product]

2. Polar Express @ Expedition Everest [a little ironic the 'supporting' ride was actually better, some very nice elements and thematic/interactive moments]

3. Extinction @ Extinction [purely on judging the entire park as a whole, there is some great architecture/foliage work which I still really like]

4. Sultan's Rampage @ Abu Al Sheikh Amusement Park [done with assistance from gdb, I still think it's quite a solid layout - surroundings could be better, but the initial pretzel element after the launch is still very cool imo]

5. Ishtar @ The Hanging Gardens of Babylon [poorly positioned but the interlocking loops and supports turned out really well I thought - especially managing to get the trains to (sometimes) interlock at the same time as well]

6. Ethereal @ Ethereal [first real 'release' which I'm still satisfied with, foliage overdose but some nice element positioning - maybe a little too twisty and poorly flowing sections, overall decent though]

7. Keeper of the Grove @ Stoksy's Magnificent 'Musements [surroundings are poor and unfinished, but I still like the idea behind the layout and the general flow despite slow-ish pacing by the end]

8. Coyote @ Canyons, Carts, and Coasters [way too much time spent on support work, but not a bad interpretation of Thunderbird at Powerland imo]

9. Ood @ Ode to the Ood [MM entry, some very weird elements/flow but I still think it's not a bad interpretation of a Eurofighter layout - I also think the surrounding landscaping and theming haven't aged too badly]

=9. Wildfire/Firestorm @ Forces of Nature Theme Park [at the time I thought these layouts I built for bsg were decent, but the more I look at them the more I disliked how they flowed. Decent timing giving the dueling, but poor element-transitions and therefore quite low on the list]

10. Jaws @ Jaws [meh, it's a B&M hyper with some cool supporting ideas - happy with some of the macro but poorly planned overall]

There are some unfinished releases with layouts which probably nudge out a lot of the top 10 (eg Giant Dipper), and all other possible coasters were either too small, too unfinished, or just not interesting enough imo.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    Have you seen Jerusalem?
  • Maverix%s's Photo

Gonna probably surprise people with a few of mine, but here it goes.

1. Steel (Design - 2011) - Mixing together Expedition GeForce and Millennium Force was no easy task, but I somehow pulled it off and won design almost solely on layout alone.  I still think this is the best layout I've ever made, and, being totally not humble, one of the best layouts on the site.

2. Leviathan (Hudson Crossings - 2013) - Can't take all the credit for this one, Louis! stepped in and helped get this one from good, to great, to amazing.  Love the interaction it has with its surroundings and how it looks like it was added after everything else in the park, even though it was the very first thing built.

3. Shot Rod (KnoxVegas - 2016) - I think everybody seems to love some of the other coasters in the park more, but I have a soft spot for this one, mainly due to actually working on its real world inspiration Lightning Rod.  I really feel I captured the out of control pacing and wild elements of RMC's within the limits of the games track selection.  

4. ZeFearus (KnoxVegas 2016) - Objectively probably the best coaster in the park, I've tired Nemesis inspired inverts so many times and finally got it right.  There was some inspiration taken from a layout Pacificoaster posted some time ago, so I definitely owe him some credit.

5. Cheetaka (Design - 2011) - Probably my breakout project and what put me "on the map."  Loved how much it just sprawled over the landscape and the wide mix of elements it packed it.

6. Bloodhound (KnoxVegas - 2016) - Again a coaster I have a soft spot for being inspired by another ride I have worked on, Thunderhead.  The first half of the ride up is basically a mirrored clone of the real ride and from there it takes it's own path to fit into the area it had to be built.  

7.  Thunderhawk (Hudson Crossings - 2011) - I'm a sucker for parallel diagonal track on a ride, and managed to pull that off insanely well without making the ride's turnarounds awkward.  Love how fast paced the ride is and it's just so pleasing to look at.

8. Valravn (Design - 2016) - Another design won mostly for its layout.  I jumped on the bandwagon of using X7123M3-256's new intamin wing trains and combined them with a mega-lite layout.  Love the pacing, quick transitions and abundant airtime this ride has.

9. Crankshaft (KnoxVegas - 2016) - Another ride that everyone tries to do, the Hulk inspired launched B&M.  Of course it still had to have the cobra roll over the lake, but it also had a strong ride with great themeing and interactions.

10. Hammerhead (Design - 2009) - Let's go waaaay back, to my first ever accolade here at NE.  The surroundings are well sub-par by today's standards, but the Tatsu and Manta inspired layout helped me just win design and get my name known.  Also dat preztel loop around the station <3.

There are plenty of other rides I could throw in there, hell I think I could almost do this with just KnoxVegas, but alas it does not have 10 coasters in it :p

• csw%s's Photo

Most G Force thread 2k16

As far as my parks go, none of my coasters are really stellar. My favorites are Tourmaline and the woodie from Clearfield Woods (don't remember what I called it)

• Liampie%s's Photo

Here is my top ten, roughly in ascending order. Inclusion of some of these and exclusion of others is quite arbitrary, I could make another top ten that is equally good minus the top three.

Aquatica - No Quarter (2009)

The park overall was a disaster, but No Quarter became my favourite coaster I had done for quite a while. For that alone it deserves a place in the list I think. I'm still grateful to Louis for doing the supports. I also remember RRP telling me the grass patch under one of the drops, only visible from one angle, was a 'hidden gem'. That made me feel super proud. :lol:

M7slYlm.png

Legacies Theme Park: Europe - The Viking Raid (2010)

I always liked this coaster more than others did, and ironically others seemed to like the station more than I did. The layout is in my opinion very nicely composed, it looks good from any angle and is satisfyingly evenly spread out. The ride has some nice little theming touches like the bridge and the miniature ships, as well as quite a lot more realistic details than I had done before that: queue time signs in the queue, vending machines, a test seat, and the like. It remains a favourite of mine, almost a decade after I made the layout (2008).

r1zFSXu.png

Seven Wonders of the Ancient World - Herostratus (2015)

Nothing amazing, but nothing bad about it either. It's just exactly what I wanted it to be. The one thing that is quite special about it is that it's a hyper coaster in the centre of the park. Usually they are pushed to the side of the map to not block any content. Granted, it is not that tall. But still. I don't know, there's just something satisfying about this coaster.

a99odcc.png

Calypso Quay - Surfin' USA (2009)

This coaster wasn't entirely mine, RRP set up some elements here and there and it was my job to connect the dots. The end result came out pretty well, and it did win a medal in the H2H5 awards, silver I think?

r128Dzu.png

Dream World Indoor - Sparta (2009)

Sadly I didn't know what to do with the end of the ride, but otherwise I think this is a close to perfect Troy-esque GCI.

MVSSrbg.png

De Python (2013)

The best hardcore realistic coaster I've done so far. The fact that it's a semi-recreation surely helped with that. The coaster is nothing special, but everything about it just works I think. The foliage and paths make sure that this is as atmospheric as a bare realistic coaster can get, in my opinion.

EPnG7we.png

Fabritius Delta - Rashomon (2015)

I'm a sucker for parallel tracks and well-placed diagonals, and the first half of Rashomon is just that.

NFe8Ui6.png

De Bedriegertjes - Aeronaut (unreleased)

There are multiple coasters in De Bedriegertjes that could fit into this top 10, but despite possibly recency bias I think Aeronaut is the best of the bunch. Some may say the layout is a bit unconventional without a pretzel or lying down section, but the idea was very much to make this flying coaster live up to its name. Lying down is fun but it's not flying. Anyway, what I think makes this coaster as good as it is is the interaction with the terrain, paths and itself. It looks good from every angle and overall it's just a good composition. I wouldn't want to change anything about it.

3348.png

Tenochtitlan - Quetzalcoatl (2015)

So much awesome interaction. Diving in and out of courtyards, double barrel rolls through the pyramid, fast helix around a custom flat ride, under the market... There's so much going on, and I think it's all in perfect organic harmony with its surroundings.

HUYXxeN.png

#diamondheights - Arachnaphobia/Claustrophobia (2015)

These two were a bitch to design, at least the second half of the ride... In the end everything worked out: the coasters look majestic, duel very well, and interact with their surroundings a lot. Steve conctributed with much of the foliage (love the swampy bit at the very end) and a gorgeous station building. I think this could be my number one.

fmvakJ4.png

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Just went through my releases and realized I've only released two worthwhile layouts:

The flyer from Galaxy Geeland, I think it's named Star Shredder.  Also of awesome is Maverix's eurofighter.

Apollo - a B&M hyper.

Other people's coasters from H2H parks I was apart of that are noteworthy include Ride6s RMCs in Calico Canyon, the layouts in World's of Tim Burton (I think robbie did them all?), and the aforementioned eurofighter.

• alex%s's Photo

ha.. cool thread!

@G Force: Why did you put Pac's coaster as no.1? Aren't these supposed to be your own layouts?

@Louis!: I prefered your invert in Vampyre!

Here are mine. I only got to a top 5... the rest aren't worth a mention. I think I'm getting better at layouts though and I've made a couple recently that would replace some in this list.

1. Cyclone in Luna Park: I’m gonna go as far as to say this is probably the best (crystal beach) Cyclone that’s been built on this site. The other’s I’m aware of are one in Fatha’s "super duper get you f’d up" rct2 park and one in Marriott’s Marine World but both suffer from being too stretched with awkward slope transitions, loosing the tight, twisty character... IMO. I really like the compactness of mine and the spiralling helixes look excellent given the limitations of LL's unbanked sloping turns.

2. Doom of Atlantis in Last Days: This was a tricky layout to make.. I had a sequence of specific ‘moments’ I wanted to create with the duellers; an initial launch which ascended a waterfall, a face-off splash down and then opposite launchers which ascended a double helix, joined at the top and made the final drop together. I think I tied all these large, difficult-to-fit elements together really elegantly with both the ‘roller coaster’ section of hills and near-miss turns and the cave sections, which were a neat way of re-synching the boats whilst adding suspense before the final element. All with beautiful theming!

3. Flying Turns in Luna Park: This was a fun one to make. My main aim here was to get the turns to line up vertically in 3 main ‘cylinders’ like this. I think I executed this well and the mine train supports fit great too.

4. Red Baron in Palisade Gardens: Dragon coaster inspired obviously, but the name actually references the aeroplane coaster.. mostly so I could use the suspended aeroplane car as a sign. I love the triangular footprint of this with the 3 double turnaround ‘towers’. I just think it’s a really aesthetically pleasing shape and flows beautifully. All white always looks great on classic woodies too.

5. Tesla Toboggan in Panoptica Peaks: Here i used heartline twister to introduce steep drops and a barrel-roll to a bobsled coaster, and to great effect I think! The combination looks beautiful because of the skeletal structure on both tracks. Id’ve preferred to use Heartline cars but unfortunately the sprites glitches on the turns (they don’t in rct2 btw). Love the colour scheme of the coaster, it’s shape and the interactions with the Russian spires and minarets too.

• G Force%s's Photo
    @alex: I never said that you had to make the layouts, just that they are coasters in your parks (presumably that you've built atleast a portion of).
  • Kumba%s's Photo

1. Kumba - I mean, not even close...

2. Primal Apocalypses - Beat X-Sector in QFTB-X with this Gwazi inspired monster dueling woodie. The dino war theme with herbivores battling carnivores is my best idea ever.

3. Zombie Hunt @ Zombieland - Probably the most sound custom realistic coaster I ever made. Love the transfer bay on it and boasters. 

4. Mirage @ DRC - Hacked to death, but just a fun theme all around it.

5. Black Hole @ Logos - So glad that it finally got released. It was improved a lot along the way and I am very happy with the final result. 

6. Genus:Carcharodon - Right out of my oceanography textbook and into a NE Design. Really enjoyed this kinda Sea World theme and using with facts and stuff from the book. 

7. Azure @ Aviara Cove - So nice, kinda amazing as Cork hardly did anything to it, but I did mostly follow his playbook on it. 

8. Spore @ Terra Progressia - Just had lots of fun free-styling this thing to a plant type theme. Covering the station with a giant leaf... imho, genius! The layout itself is just okay, but the leaf gets it on this list! 

9. Nightmare @ DRC - I actually first asked Mala to make this coaster, but he respectfully declined. I next went to Toon and he made this crazy coaster that won wooden coaster of the year in 2007. Still, Toon did want everyone to know that he had nothing to do with the theme.

10. Shiva @ Lost Realms of India - The only non-NE release on here. It was the main coaster in my 2007 Road Rally championship winner. I like it more for the setting than the so-so layout.
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

This is going to be a little rough since the vast majority of my "actually caring about realism and not having some quirky element" layouts are very recent / in Vermillion and Mammut/Glacier is in an unreleased group park.

1.Coloso - VK
    2.Olimpico - VE
    3.Explosão - VA
    4.Kestrel - Kestrel: Canyon Raptor
    5.Jaguar - VE

6.Salamander - VA

7.Mammut/Glacier - GPX
    8.Tempesta - VE

9.Scimitar - VK

10.Valken - Valken: Lightrider

• robbie92%s's Photo

1. Jagganath - BGA : This was the layout that basically kept the park afloat for me during bouts of inactivity and inspiration drain. It's just one of those layouts that ended up exactly how I wanted it to (after quite a bit of fiddling), and it's one of my favourites to just sit and watch.

2. Shinobi - BGA : This one I really like for the way it's integrated into the surrounding area, the way it weaves in and out of the landscape while interacting with scenery. I also was really happy with the ride's colour scheme and the show building, which turned out exactly how I wanted it to.

3. Naga - BGA : This is a simple coaster type, but I think I managed to execute it well, particularly the loop supports and the various truss supports. I also really like the flow from the first drop  into the MCBR, with the double loops really placed as a proper centrepiece for the ride (and the park).

4. Grizzly Peak Mine Ride (or whatever it's called) - DCA : I know this was only released unfinished, but I'm proud of the hacking done for this ride to work, as suggested by Gee, to make it have a traditional lift, a lift into a backwards drop, and a launch. Plus, it's well-embedded into the mountain, and it's an absolute blast to watch complete its run, particularly after the launch when it quickly snakes and bounces right at ground level.

5. Garuda - BGA : Again, another ride that turned out how I wanted it to after lots of visual research. In particular, the supports for the lift and the drop are something I'm proud of, but I love watching it as it looms over the entire Tibetan area.

I'm sure there's some layouts for unfinished designs somewhere on my old laptop that could sneak into the list, but I'd have to take another look for certain.

• Louis!%s's Photo

1) Battle for Jerusalem in The Siege of Jerusalem

The whole reason this park is so awesome. The best invert layout NE has seen.

2) Goliath

Would have been the 3rd highest scoring design at the time, until RMM voted on it.

3) The Big Top in Circus Circus Adventure Dome Atlantic City

Austin can take some credit for this as without his initial layout base, this wouldn't be the great ugly clanky Arrow hyper it is.

4) Golden Zephyr in Baker Lake Amusement Park

The woodie that Coupon takes credit for when in reality it was built by me, several years before Baker Lake. Originally known as Dragon Coaster, replica of the same at Rye Playland.

5) Avalanche

Another awesome Invert, shame its unfinished.

6) Eurofighter 320+ (Unreleased)

Possibly my most realistic layout, a perfect Eurofighter 320+ clone.

7) Airplane Coaster in Southport Pleasure Beach

A replica of the original Airplane Coaster, the only decent woodie layout in the park.

8] Volcanis

A Giovonola Invert, loved this design, taken from a split up of an LL solo.

9) Mirage

My first LL design I think. Still a lovely Invert layout though, the first one to feature my customary Batwing at the end of an invert.

10) Chimei

My first ever design.

Both versions of Batman would sit in the list too, but they are unreleased and unfinished and I don't have any decent screens of them lying around. 

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

I'd put some of the woodens above the LL inverts.  Hurricane slowed down at the end but Viper was really good if I remember it right.   Mirage and Volcanis were both fairly cookie-cutter.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    Yeah I didn't know where to place Viper and Hurricane, both favourites of mine. Probably should have put them in at the expense of the ones you mentioned, as inverts did heavily populate the list lol
  • alex%s's Photo

no Six Shooter?!

• Louis!%s's Photo

Six Shooter was impressive in its size only. I mean, yeah it took a long time to actually get 6 tracks to look good and work together, but really, it is just 1 giant mess lol. I'd say Emperor was better.

• alex%s's Photo

I dunno.. NE needs more craziness like that I think.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading