General Chat / Subtle Cultural Variety

• Louis!%s's Photo

People eat mayo with chips over here too and I think its absolutely disgusting.

• RWE%s's Photo

Well, here it's common to eat fries with mayo, curry sauce and bratwurst, and all in one bowl. I love it...

• Louis!%s's Photo

Curry sauce and bratwurst I can totally understand. 

• G Force%s's Photo

The American style of Fries comes from the French.

As for cheese dip, its probably the best type of wet condiment for fries.  Though fries with a dry rosemary or garlic and other things like that are also nice.

Honestly Cheese dip with any potato product is preferable.

• FredD%s's Photo

The American style of Fries comes from the French.

Bullshit... However invented in our French speaking part of the country, it is invented by Belgians and not the fucking French. There is no French style of fries, there are only fries and they are Belgian. 

• GammaZero%s's Photo
    Wait, people still think fries come from the French? I thought this was debunked a long time ago. BTW mayo on fries is delicious
  • RWE%s's Photo

They're called french fries in the US. It's because of the american soldiers, who went to Europe in the first world war and saw belgish people eating fries and talking french, so they called them 'french fries'.

• Jappy%s's Photo

According to the Belgian fries-historian Paul Illegems, they're called "french" fries because "to french" is an old English verb meaning to cut something in small parts.

• G Force%s's Photo

Basically, the term French is referring to the language rather than the place according to popular legend.

However, IIRC, the thin cut style that has been popularized by American food is of a French origin, or at least was popularized outside of Belgium, later in history.  In some countries they are actually referred to as "American Fries", though I've never heard anyone use this term.  Perhaps its a more eastern term.  Further so, some believe they were initially referred to as "French Fried Potatoes", like Jappy noted, and the term Potatoes was dropped at some point.

• RWE%s's Photo

There exist so many theories about the name and the history of fries, according to some people they were even invented by a german guy called Fritz, so they got their name 'Friets/Frits/Fries/Frites/whatever"...

But well, Probably we'll never find the truth.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

According to the Belgian fries-historian Paul Illegems, they're called "french" fries because "to french" is an old English verb meaning to cut something in small parts.

Jappy is right. "french" fries refers to the way they're cut. 

• SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

Though fries with a dry rosemary or garlic and other things like that are also nice.

Smashburger has some of the best fries: rosemary, garlic, and olive oil

• G Force%s's Photo

^I actually looked on Smashburger's website to see what their description was, because they came to my mind first when thinking of fries.

Probably my favorite coating of all.  I'd definitely recommend it.

Aw shoot, I really want a burger now

• chorkiel%s's Photo

It's important to learn something new every day. So I guess today was a good day for most of us.

• FredD%s's Photo

Fries are the national proud of Belgium, fuck yeah. Fuck "French fries", even if it refers to the way it is cut, still remain fries invented by the Belgians. 

belgique.gif

• RWE%s's Photo

Okay, sure, we're crediting you for this one invention as an act of european friendship! :p

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Im weighing in here, chips with mayo is the best thing ever fuck yall

First of all, fries

Second of all, fries

Third of all, no they're absolutely disgusting you heathen

• Jappy%s's Photo

Speaking as a Belgian, you know, the country that INVENTED THE FRIES, I can say that eating fries with mayo is the right way to do it. 

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading