General Chat / Subtle Cultural Variety

• FredD%s's Photo

Speaking as a Belgian, you know, the country that INVENTED THE FRIES, I can say that eating fries with mayo is the right way to do it. 

Hell fucking yeah. Though putting the mayo on the fries is barbaric, dipping them is the right way! 

• Steve%s's Photo
    Dipping fries in anything is dumb to begin with. Condiments like ketchup and mayo are used by people who don't like the taste of things. Good food shouldn't need condiments. If I get good fries, or really any fries, I don't use anything unless they're already topped with cheese or something.

Oh and they're called Freedom Fries. #trump
  • SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

Speaking as a Belgian, you know, the country that INVENTED THE FRIES, I can say that eating fries with mayo is the right way to do it. 

It's not about who did it first, it's about who did it best 
  • GammaZero%s's Photo
    I never understood why Britons/Australians/New Zealanders/etc use "chips" for fries, when the rest of the world uses fries. I can understand "crisps" for chips, but why chips for fries?

And yeah I agree with Steve, I usually eat fries without any condiment.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

We call fries fries, not chips. Chips are different.

We don't go to McDonalds etc and ask for a Burger & Chips, they aren't a Medium Chips, they are a Medium Fries.

And crisps are what Americans call chips because they only have fries, they don't have what we call chips.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Dipping fries in anything is dumb to begin with. Condiments like ketchup and mayo are used by people who don't like the taste of things. Good food shouldn't need condiments. If I get good fries, or really any fries, I don't use anything unless they're already topped with cheese or something.

This is ridiculous. Not saying naturel fries aren't good, but eating them with sauce doesn't mean you don't like fries. If you don't drown your fries in sauce, the combination of tastes can be delicious too.

This is ridiculous. Not saying naturel fries aren't good, but eating them with sauce doesn't mean you don't like fries. If you don't drown your fries in sauce, the combination of tastes can be delicious too.

Yeah, there's absolutely many things you can dip fries in to add to the taste, fires are just very starchy as is and go well with a complement like garlic or vinegar. Personally, I don't like ketchup, it's too oddly sweet 
  • GammaZero%s's Photo

Okay it's more confusing than I thought then :p

• FredD%s's Photo

It's not about who did it first, it's about who did it best 

The first thing I eat when coming back from a journey abroad, are real Belgian fries :p  Because they are nowhere as good as ours. 

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Oh and they're called Freedom Fries. #trump

Bruh this is just objectively wrong you gotta get on the cool and creamy contrast fry dip train

We call fries fries, not chips. Chips are different.

We don't go to McDonalds etc and ask for a Burger & Chips, they aren't a Medium Chips, they are a Medium Fries.

And crisps are what Americans call chips because they only have fries, they don't have what we call chips.

I once engaged a south korean in a two-hour discussion about the continuum of fries-steakfries-countryfries-potatowedges-hashbrowns-tatertots-etc.

• Steve%s's Photo
    I must be doing something wrong then. I will admit that occasionally I will dip my fries in something. However, only if I want to taste that and nothing else. How can you tell me that if you use ketchup, ranch, mayo, whatever -- that you you can actually taste the fries? You can't. Fries on their own usually aren't bursting with flavor other than salt, unless you go to a nice restaurant and get some gourmet truffle fry shit.

Most of the time condiments are used to mask the flavor or something you don't like. Why else do you think people would drown meatloaf in ketchup?
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

The key is always finding something that benefits from the salty fry.  Ketchup and mayo are popluar because the salt cuts through the sweet/fat.

• G Force%s's Photo

Just use rosemary and call it a day.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    How can you tell me that if you use ketchup, ranch, mayo, whatever -- that you you can actually taste the fries? You can't. Fries on their own usually aren't bursting with flavor other than salt, unless you go to a nice restaurant and get some gourmet truffle fry shit. 

I agree, if I'm eating chips or fries that have been nicely seasoned and have a flavour to them then I will refrain from using sauce, in fact most of the time I don't use sauce, its only fries from places like McDonalds that I will use sauce, but like you say, that is because I want to taste the sauce, not the fries.

This is a remarkably interesting topic lol

• Jappy%s's Photo

The first thing I eat when coming back from a journey abroad, are real Belgian fries :p  Because they are nowhere as good as ours. 

For me, fries taste the best at two in the morning, on our way back home from the bar, together with a Bicky Burger in Hasselt's Fritz & Co! Although I actually prefer the Spikkie Burger...

Just use rosemary and call it a day.

No.

You foreigners will never understand the great Belgian snackbar culture! With Joppi sauce, mayonaise, Bicky Burgers and all the other great stuff that will clog up you heart in the most delicious way! :p 

You foreigners will never understand the great Belgian snackbar culture! With Joppi sauce, mayonaise, Bicky Burgers and all the other great stuff that will clog up you heart in the most delicious way! :p

I refuse to believe there are real things called Joppi sauce and Bicky Burgers. That sounds like specials at a made-up children's restuarant. Side note: I did go to Brussels once and Belgian waffle stands are still one of my favorite things

• G Force%s's Photo

Speaking of Waffles.

Has anyone tried Fried Chicken and Waffles?  Its just fantastic.

oh yeah, it's surprisingly good. I also discovered that fries in scampi sauce is really good

• FredD%s's Photo

I refuse to believe there are real things called Joppi sauce and Bicky Burgers. That sounds like specials at a made-up children's restuarant. Side note: I did go to Brussels once and Belgian waffle stands are still one of my favorite things

He's not making those things up, they do exist over here and are pretty popular :D   It's kinda funny how foreigners always start about waffles when you say you're from Belgium while it's not something we eat regularly... 

• Jappy%s's Photo

Read it and weep, Sens...

tumblr_m36elxIAuN1qip21wo1_500.jpg

VersLekkerOpPatat.png

We make the best waffles, we do, they're great, they're absolutely fantastic, I love our waffles... I like them with some chocolate or cream. I love eating the ones they make on those little stalls on the street, they always have some caramel and grease from the ones baked before them on the waffle iron on them... Delicious!

Strange how they're always round in the US, while the norm is that they're square.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading