General Chat / Nintendo Switch

• trav%s's Photo

Anyone been paying attention to this? Anyone excited? Looking forward to any particular games for it?

I wish I could be more excited, but £280 is a hefty price tag, especially when in dollars it works out around £240.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

I preordered one from Amazon.

• RCT2day%s's Photo

So excited for the new Zelda game.  Hoping to get the system when it becomes cheaper, or when I can dedicate some funds from my job to it

• Lilith%s's Photo

Preordered the console and BotW. Still hoping that Capcom announces Monster Hunter XX at on of their presentations this month or next month, or future plans to put MH5 on the switch. I'm also very excited for Splatoon 2 and the new Mario

• G Force%s's Photo

Wii U 2.0

It looks cool, but like all my Nintendo stuff, I play the hell out of it for a few weeks then never touch it again once the gimmick wears off.  Never been a big fan of Nintendo games either.

The two player mode does look pretty cool though.

• Brent%s's Photo

I got 3 release day pre-orders. Got screwed out of the Classic pre-orders, hoping these don't get dropped too like last time. Keep one, sell the other two for profit to cover the one I keep, lol.

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo

id be excited about it but i bought a ps4 last year, so I can't even begin to consider budgeting for another console. I've been flat out avoiding info on it to avoid fomo.

• Lotte%s's Photo

What games do you play Dr_Dude?

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

I picked up a grey-joycon version today along with my preorder of the special edition of Breath of the Wild.  (not the master edition, the version with the extras minus the sword statue thing.) 

Haven't gotten into the games yet but the interface is definitely more modern and reminds me most strongly of a manufacturer-specific flavor of Android like Sony's android stuff or RemixOS.  

The hardware feels ... less fantastic that I was expecting.  I tihnk it's the same plastic and everything as my n3DS, but the geometry makes it feel thinner and flimsier.  The way the joycons click in is something I've seen praised everywhere but without the software-based audio effects (the "snap" sound effect) it feels like any other cheap plastic thing clicking into place.  The rails are metal but I've experienced some difficulty getting them on/off and they feel like they're going to get caught/stuck sometimes even if I'm sure they're tested for thousands of on-off cycles.

E-shop was smooth enough I guess, but I've already got an account - it had to ask for my password like 5 different times between logging in, authorizing online play, authorizing e-shop purchases the first time, authorizing transfer of my balance from my WiiU eshop credit, authorizing purchase of Snipperclips .... but it was still fairly quick.  

I think my biggest hangup so far is that even though I can take this thing anywhere, I feel a little hesitant to.  It doesn't seem like it's got quite the same durability / tankiness that a 3DS or a PSP or something might have in years past, and the fact that you're detaching bits of it all the time and it's way more expensive per unit has me sort of hesitant to stuff this thing in a bag.

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    I just want to play zeldaaaaa

Reckon therell be another zelda on switch? Its pretty much the same situation twilight princess was in, and that gave us skyward sword. Id actually like to replay that properly, i feel like I/everyone sort of didnt really give it a real shot or value it for what it was
  • ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Hard to say.  They seem to be aiming for this to last a while, but I don't think anything like BotW will be out for .. several years.  If there's another Zelda in the pipe for this I'd say it might be something like the portable ones - 2D top-down - and probably something like holiday 2018  BotW has a "Downloadable Content" menu option on the main menu, so they may be leaning towards a model where they just drop an expansion for this since development of anything this caliber would take another three years.

Skyward Sword is about all that's left to do an HD remake of, so there's a small chance you could see that.  Otherwise just buy everything on the e-shop and tada, it plays ALL the zeldas!

• Cocoa%s's Photo

I wouldn't be so surprised if they took the BOTW engine (which probably took them a lot of time) and crafted a smaller, denser world with a more storied zelda. I guess similar to what happened with wind waker and twilight princess, they took the engine and changed the style up so most people don't even realize. If switch is goin to last 6ish years and a console zelda development cycle is somewhere between 3-5 years, then I think we'll get one. But you may be right that a top-down/portable style could be next if it turn out to be true that there won't be another dedicated portable console (ie the 3ds is the last in the separate line of portable consoles from home consoles)

• trav%s's Photo

I got a switch with the neon joycons and honestly, I think it's a great piece of hardware, but not for the price. 

It has so many different ways to play it and it seems incredibly versatile, but it is essentially more of a handheld console with a hdmi port than it is a home console, so the fact that I can currently buy a Wii U, a 3DS and a game for both of them for less than I can buy a Switch and a game for is a bit ridiculous. 

I haven't played much of BotW yet, but it seems pretty decent. My one issue with it is how empty the world feels so far. I look at games like Witcher 3 who have massive, sprawling open worlds, but still feel full and living, and I question why this doesn't instantly feel the same. Instead, it seems like a lot of open fields with a dungeon stuck in the middle of them. I'm hoping the more I get into the game, it becomes a bit busier, but we'll see.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

Yes and no.  Haven't played witcher, but I think BotW is pretty well done for this style of game; maybe Witcher is at a similar level and Zelda doesn't feel like much of a step up from the new standard in open-world "engagement". 

They've subtly improved on a bunch of open-world-emptiness things that a lot of games encounter where at a certain point you're just seeing recycled content and a collectathon.  Korok puzzles are a neat little trick to make every environment feature a gameplay element on top of a neat exploration/visual thing. The same way the material collection / hunting /

Spoiler
    game systems are little cheaty twists on "find all the audio tapes" or "find all the clan flags" or the usual collect-em-all systems; since the critters you're hunting are semi-mobile and have a day/night cycle, specific habitats (game regions as well as local enviro things like "on cliff faces" or "in trees"),  and are rewarding to catch for other integrated gameplay systems it feels less like padding.  

The extra little nintendo touch is to layer these open-world staple layers with sidequests and unique events like the ghost ship in Windwaker, and the game was in dev long enough for them to really polish all that, flesh out the quirky little rich Zelda characters, etc.  I'd put the "open world stuff density" at around the same as FarCry2, which was a much smaller map and had a lot more recycled assets - BotW just has better produced events and systems.  

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Ive playes around 10ish hours so far and really loving it. Ill post some expanded thoughts later maybe but its very different than any other zelda game ive played

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading