Theme Park Discussion / Are park shows theatre?

• Liampie%s's Photo

Version1 thinks park shows are not theatre, so any criteria derived from what makes up good theatre are irrelevant. Park shows are all about spectacle, they do not set out to be good stories. Therefore story and anything else is completely irrelevant. Raveleijn, the big park show in the Efteling, terrible according to popular consensus among theme park enthusiasts in The Netherlands, is a masterfully done show in Version1's eyes.

I think that park shows are a genre of theatre and can be held to the same standards. Story, storytelling, choreography, blocking, lighting, script, acting, music, all that stuff is shared among shows within themeparks and outside themeparks. It's all theatre. Add in editing and cinematography, and it's not that different from cinema. If the story is poorly told and shitty in itself too, the park show can be terrible despite having spectacle. Raveleijn, in my eyes, is terrible because it's poor theatre.

We discussed this in the server and V1 brought up the comparison between youtube videos and movies. He doesn't think they can be compared, I think they can definitely be the same at form - film making. Version1 now thinks I'm delusional. Am I?

• Version1%s's Photo

We discussed this in the server and V1 brought up the comparison between youtube videos and movies. He doesn't think they can be compared, I think they can definitely be the same at form - film making. Version1 now thinks I'm delusional. Am I?

Again. They can be. Doesn't mean they have to be. A goof Football Manager Let's Play can be just as good a youtube video as a more film-like thing.

Plus, I never said Ravelijn is masterfully done (that would probably be Water World in Universal Hollywood), but that it's a very good theme park show.

• BelgianGuy%s's Photo
    The problem with the ravelijn story is that it is solely designed for kids, it lacks the body to be compelling to adults except for the spectacme parts
  • Louis!%s's Photo

My issue with it was it was in dutch.

• G Force%s's Photo
    1. Who cares

2. Sure

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading