RCT Discussion / Knockout: RCT2 Spotlights

Fun

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    Steve killed off a park he helped built
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Mercy killing? Humility? Who knows, man.
  • Recurious%s's Photo
    I still find it surprising that a Silver accolade wins a knockout between Spotlight parks.
  • G Force%s's Photo
    Recurious your bitterness has gone from a footnote to embarrassing and pathetic.
  • Scoop%s's Photo
    I still find it surprising that a Silver accolade wins a knockout between Spotlight parks.

I don't find it surprising but I do wish it wasn't this park. I've started to grow to enjoy it but it still isn't my favorite. Let's do a knockout for all of the parks under 5%, if there are any.

• Recurious%s's Photo
    Lol you have to realize that by now I'm just fucking around don't you?

I don't even think RoB is that bad of a park, especially considering it was made in 2003. That being said I do think that it is a little bit overrated for nostalgia reasons and I think that if you purely look at the quality of the content and disregard the history of the park there are a couple recent parks that are better. It's still a pretty sweet park though.
  • RWE%s's Photo
    I agree a little with Rec here. We might overrating stuff for nostalgia and maybe also because we want to compare it to today's parks. In my opinion you just can't compare all the oldschool stuff to the things we're doing today, it looks like a completely different game.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Anyway, I've really enjoyed this game, and I think we should do it again with designs (after a well-deserved break of course).

Almost twenty fucking pages :lol:

• trav%s's Photo

and I think we should do it again with designs

We don't need to, we all know ArchAngel #1 and Helios #2, right guys?

• SSSammy%s's Photo

Recurious your bitterness has gone from a footnote to embarrassing and pathetic.

dont think you have any wriggle room on that one pal 

• Louis!%s's Photo
    😂😂😂
  • mintliqueur%s's Photo

Crazy. While it was very expected that RoB would win in the end, the way the last couple of pages have looked kind of surprised me. I definitely expected both Starpointe and BGA to hang in there much longer, and Zippo's not to. I was also sad to see Aero's Wormwood go before Euroscape...

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Let's do a knockout for all of the parks under 5%, if there are any.
    All parks with the Atrocious Work tag.
  • mintliqueur%s's Photo

Thinking about this talk about what's overrated or not, what actually seems to be overrated is realism. Not that the style itself somehow is objectively "bad", but that the discourse around it sort of inflates its popularity or importance in the community... I think the way this game played out illustrates this, aswell as the failure of the second multiplayer park. And yet many people continue to build more or less hardcore realism parks, while seemingly preferring something fantastical and atmospheric like Islands of Enchantment... Why is this? 

• G Force%s's Photo

Thinking about this talk about what's overrated or not, what actually seems to be overrated is realism. Not that the style itself somehow is objectively "bad", but that the discourse around it sort of inflates its popularity or importance in the community... I think the way this game played out illustrates this, aswell as the failure of the second multiplayer park. And yet many people continue to build more or less hardcore realism parks, while seemingly preferring something fantastical and atmospheric like Islands of Enchantment... Why is this? 

The outcome of this game is simply completely based around on who decided to participate.  Most of those who participated are Continental European members, with less than a handful of members outside of those regions.

The participation in this game, does not completely reflect the diversity of the builders who submit work to the site, and have in the past.  I'm sure if you did this poll at a different time, perhaps during a H2H, you'd get a much different result, simply based on the different participation on the community.

You look at the members who voted in this, and few of them are actually strict "realism" builders.  Myself probably being the only one.

If members like Pacificoaster, CP6, Robbie, Geewhzz, Maverix, etc... voted, then the results would probably be different.

But I do think that he community has taken a more anti-realism, or "American realism" stance over the past year or two, staring with H2H7.  Part of this is probably due to members that get tired of seeing something that appears to look the same to them every time, or even just the changing demographics of the community, which is much more International than anytime in the past. 

There are certainly less active American members now than probably any time in the history of NE.  We have what...  maybe 5-6 "active" (active in the sense of averaging one post per day) American members.

Basically,  "overrated" and rankings in general completely depend on who you ask, and most likely you'll never get the same results twice in a row.

And besides, if realism is so overrated, then how come 5 of the 6, and 9 of the 15 highest community rated parks of all time are realism parks.  Again, it all depends on who you ask and who decides to submit their opinion.

• RWE%s's Photo
    This community is everything but not anti-realism, you just need to compare park votes to see that. It's actually more the other way around in my opinion.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

You look at the members who voted in this, and few of them are actually strict "realism" builders.  Myself probably being the only one.

Sorry what? You probably being the only strict realism builder who participated in this game? Get out of here!

• chorkiel%s's Photo

There's also things involved like tactics and peer 'pressure'. If the first persons hadn't downvoted wormwood and Euroscape they may have been able to slip under the radar for a longer while in spite of other parks. In the middle of the game you noticed trends where it'd seem like people would start killing off a park because it's already low in ratings anyway.

• Poke%s's Photo

I'd like to see one of these for LL spotlights.

• G Force%s's Photo

Sorry what? You probably being the only strict realism builder who participated in this game? Get out of here!

Scoop is maybe the only other member I can think of who participated more than once or twice.  I don't even know if I'd put Bill in that category, his style has a fantastical element to it that keeps it from being in the same category as a Pacificoaster or CP6, in my opinion.