RCT Discussion / Knockout: RCT2 Spotlights

Fun

• Liampie%s's Photo

I'd like to see one of these for LL spotlights.

Me too, but I'm not sure if enough people have proper opinions on the LL spotlights. I think we should do RCT2 designs first. I think we should take a small break, but if people want to start right away I'm fully on board as well. So, what does everyone think?

Regarding the realism debate: G, there is no anti-American bias or conspiracy. And I consider myself and Louis for example to be realism builders too. And more people like us voted. We may not always build Cedar Fair, but we definitely build a lot of realism. Maybe just not your brand of realism. Also, I think that realism parks just tend to age worse than semi-realism and the more fantastical parks.

• Recurious%s's Photo
    Designs would be cool, but where would you start? There are significantly more designs than spotlights? Maybe only do designs that scored over 80% or something like that?
  • G Force%s's Photo

Me too, but I'm not sure if enough people have proper opinions on the LL spotlights. I think we should do RCT2 designs first. I think we should take a small break, but if people want to start right away I'm fully on board as well. So, what does everyone think?

Regarding the realism debate: G, there is no anti-American bias or conspiracy. And I consider myself and Louis for example to be realism builders too. And more people like us voted. We may not always build Cedar Fair, but we definitely build a lot of realism. Maybe just not your brand of realism. Also, I think that realism parks just tend to age worse than semi-realism and the more fantastical parks.

Yea, I completely agree with regards to LL and Designs, but I think we should do it anyway after a small break.

But yes, I didn't mean in the sense of a conspiracy or bias, but just a general trend away from American styled realism.  Mostly because of people getting bored with it and the changing demographics of the active builders and posters on the site.

• Liampie%s's Photo

Designs would be cool, but where would you start? There are significantly more designs than spotlights? Maybe only do designs that scored over 80% or something like that?

I don't know how many RCT2 designs there are in total, but I'd divide them in two or three equally large groups with an equal randomised compositon. We'd stop each group when there are 5 or 6 left and then move on to a second round with all the top 5/6 designs. Something like that.

• Recurious%s's Photo

I don't know how many RCT2 designs there are in total, but I'd divide them in two or three equally large groups with an equal randomised compositon. We'd stop each group when there are 5 or 6 left and then move on to a second round with all the top 5/6 designs. Something like that.

Sounds like fun I'd say lets do it.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

As long as Goliath wins, all is good.

• chorkiel%s's Photo

If you include all designs you'll have the same problem with the LL spotlights; most people haven't seen most of them, let alone all. Either go with designs of the last so-many years or with AP scoring.

• Tolsimir%s's Photo

Sorry to bump this. I really had fun doing this and also see the dynamics. I had a thought about .. do you think this kind of voting might work for a contest in the future? I mean maybe in a not as serious one like the olympics, just to have a twist on it. (Maybe with a bit stricter rules)

• chorkiel%s's Photo

It's kind of been done. Kumba's Survivor contest is based on knocking out the one you dislike most. This game is arguably more focused on knocking out parks rather than making parks win.

• posix%s's Photo

I like the idea of using this for contest judging.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    I'd love a design knockout
  • G Force%s's Photo
    We have one going right now Austin.
  • Tolsimir%s's Photo

What I mean is, with this kind of voting you have more than on "I want this to win"/"I want this to lose"-vote. This leads to a more differentiated cast per user, especially when they favourite leave and they have to decide newly. I think the people will deal with the parks longer, as voting would take longer and not only be one move per person. Moreover, I liked the discussions over RoB that came up in the middle as it led people to view the park again and need to justify their vote in comments. For freshly released parks this would increase the feedback for the builders.

The downside would be, from what I have observed, that the first downvotes are very powerful as people tend to fall into line and the favourite entry to leave of the first voter is likely to be the first to leave for real.

• Liampie%s's Photo

I'd rather use this method for some kind of awards substitute than for officially judging entries in a contest. (Unless the contest is Survivor, which already uses a very similar method) It's not trustworthy enough. You do raise a valid point about the virtue of long lasting voting.

Regarding the design knockout: I was a bit too ambitious when I started that, but we now got past the boring first stage of eliminating obscure mediocre designs yet no one seems interested anymore. Can we just finish this round please? :p

http://www.nedesigns...-group-a/page-3