General Chat / Dutch national elections 2017

• Lotte%s's Photo

The Dutch will be holding parliamentary elections on March 15th. What are my fellow Dutch people going to vote?

Personally I'm going with D66 (socially progressive liberals (the european kind, not the american kind). Mostly due to their focus on equalizing economic and social oppertunity rather than pure economic equality, focus on education, and EU support

• SensualEthiopianPolice%s's Photo

Please for the love of god, don't vote poorly

• RWE%s's Photo

Pls just vote EU friendly haha

• G Force%s's Photo

Just curious from an outsiders perspective, but what kind of benefits/drawbacks are there in the day to day life of being in the EU, vs. not being in the EU?

• RWE%s's Photo

How the EU effects everyday life, what first came into my mind:

Less bureaucracy, single market, more choice about where to study, work and live, lower prices, travel without showing your passport inside the Schengen area, No duties, no extra cost for using your mobile phone in another EU country, health warnings on tobacco products, List of ingredients and warnings on food products, environmental seals on products, Better visits at cultural stuff (cause of subventions), same wall sockets everywhere, almost the same rules for admiting cars everywhere,...

• Faas%s's Photo
    Most people that want out of the EU are either demented or afraid of scary brown people.
  • FredD%s's Photo

Best advantage is going to Netherlands, France, Germany... etc without having to get a visa, able to pay in the same currency. And many other advantages, like roaming costs will be forbidden from this summer, so we won't have to pay extra anymore when using our mobile in another EU country!

Of course the way EU is lead could be better, but leaving EU is just madness.  

And oh yeah... 80 years of peace in western-Europe. Don't forget that! Longest period of peace in Europe ever!

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Don't forget subsidies, RWE. Subsidies for innovative business and start-ups, research, and education. I received €400 to help me finance a two week study trip to Cape Town a few years back.

I'm not blindly pro-EU, I think some of the EU's ambitions outpace what we are ready for and maybe the priorities aren't always in the right place.

No one ever puts enough emphasis on infastructure despite it being one of the most important foundations of a nation's success

• G Force%s's Photo

So basically, some of the luxuries of living in a larger country, without the large country.

Do you think the benefits with regards to schooling, health warnings, wall sockets would go away if a country would leave the EU?  Or would it just be a situation where they'd leave these things in place for convenience.

There would no longer be protection of those laws, leaving any extremist politician to potentially remove those luxuries

• Lotte%s's Photo

Just curious from an outsiders perspective, but what kind of benefits/drawbacks are there in the day to day life of being in the EU, vs. not being in the EU?

Some other benefits not mentioned yet include:

- economicly weaker areas of the EU devalue the euro allow for cheaper and thus higher volume exports, boosting the better european economies. The poorer economic regions in return get the benefit of gaining access to the biggest market in the world and get support where needed (maybe a bit too much sometimes IMO).

- the EU often acts as a 4th addition to the trias politica, keeping individual EU governments in check (particularly when it comes to things such as privacy or economic policy)

- Less competition between individual EU countries allowing for an economicly stronger europe (no conflicting subsidies etc)

- increased infrastructural cooperation

- lawmaking becomes a LOT easier 

• RWE%s's Photo
    The benefits still would be there but not for everyone. Think about how small european countries are compared to other countries in the world.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

like roaming costs will be forbidden from this summer, so we won't have to pay extra anymore when using our mobile in another EU country!

I was so looking forward to that :( stupid racist britain

• Lotte%s's Photo

D66 ftw ;)

edit: appearantly some of the greatest shitholes on the internet (/r/the_donald and 4chan) are now brigading the dutch subreddit... some people really are retarded

• Faas%s's Photo

Good choice gdb! 

• Liampie%s's Photo

Yep, solid pick. I'm going to vote for D66 too, but I might change my mind on the way to the polling place. I may also vote for the Party Animals or GreenLeft.

• FredD%s's Photo
    Liam, a real party animal! Can't a political party named Animal Party serious... But as lobg Wilders does not win it's all good!
  • Coasterbill%s's Photo

Ah fuck you and your normal countries with normal elections where you choose between (mostly) semi-normal, semi-qualified politicians.

• Faas%s's Photo
    We have way more options, and therefore also more wackos.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading