News / New Runner-Ups

This topic hosts comments for 4 parks(View Parks)
  • mantis%s's Photo
    Well, I can't say I loved any of the parks this round, but here's what I thought:

The Northern Territories was a nice park, but there were obviously some areas better than others. I think the central area was VERY nice, but I also liked the trackless ride and mine train. I think if you carry on in the same way as you did for that central architecture you'll make something very cool.

Sunburst Shores at its moments. The hotel was nice, as were most of the rides, but I really didn't like some of the textures...it looked a bit like Butterfinger, but the Butterfinger I don't like rather than the type I do :p Great coasters, though.

Mountain Frost was a cool park, but I think some of the buildings and bad tree choices let it down. I liked slob's architecture a lot (the red really helps here to break up the blueness), but Six Frags' rides are definitely more adventurous. Nice park.

Klamath Lake would have gained a lot from differently themed parts. After a whole park of dull greens and browns I was feeling a bit sick. I thought the hyper was a bit awkward, but really liked the river ride and some of the flat ride theming. Very realistic, too.

Nice round of runner up parks, but shame not to see Cloudy Peaks up there...
  • Ride6%s's Photo
    Well...

Sunburst is my first peice of "real parkmaking". I know i have a long way to improve. Valp- I'm working on a RCT1/LL park right now. Expect sceens next week! And i have an RCT2 park going that should be runner-up worthy when I finish it. And it no longer looks "Butterfinger-ish". The two main influences on me during Sunburst were Euroscape and BGSS (Fatha').

ride6
  • v1perz%s's Photo

a littel footnote on the fishook ride6 did, its not the first time its been used in RCT2. Titan used it in his runner up, Six Flags HS, but that was not a "Fishook coaster" it was just a feature on his Mr Freaze coaster.

Plus the fishook wasn't extremely difficult, more a matter of finding the right speed so the game didn't freeze. (was that frustrating or what, ride6.
  • KaiBueno%s's Photo
    Posting now to say thanks for all the comments on KLAP, and to iris for awarding the park with the NE Runner-up Honor. The park was a blast to make, and an extremely tough secret to keep. It's not everyday you see me sporting brown and green, so that made it all the more difficult, considering how well the park was developing and that I had to react publicly to my fellow RCTM member's park as if I wasn't involved.

Fortunately, most of you expect vibrant colors (Glasshouse, Forge, Othello!), so it was easy to play off if I made comments on the drab color scheme (which isn't really drab, as this is the type of park green and browns are most appropriate for-the naturalistic/rugged woodsy adventure park). In the end, the park turned out better than I would have imagined, so keeping the secret and playing that game was worth the agony of looking like I did nothing all summer/fall.

Anyway, thanks again...and please note that I will be taking advantage of the holiday to write-up my thoughts on the other runner-ups, as it's only fair that I acknowledge the others that achieved this same honor. My thoughts on those in the next day or so, and Iris...expect your question to be answered soon...in e-mail.

Thanks,

Kai, otherwise known for 6 months as Posted Image.
  • Nic%s's Photo
    The Northern Territories was the only park I checked out...pretty nice I thought. However it seemed, I don't know, "dead" in a sense of the word. To me it seemed nice, just devoid of any atmosphere. Maybe it was just me but it was lacking that extra "thrill" that other great parks had. Still very good though. Thumbs up here.
  • yyo%s's Photo
    That woodie on sunburst shores is awesome! Not sure about the rest of the parks though...need to download.
  • Ride6%s's Photo

That woodie on sunburst shores is awesome! Not sure about the rest of the parks though...need to download.

More praise for the woodie?! Shame that I won't have one in my next RCT2 park. My RCT/LL park will have another big white beauty in it though.

Mountain Frost: Very wintery. I don't really love Six Fragz style here but there were spots of his that were great. slob's work here is wonderful, as useual. I can't wait to see more from these two.

Northern Territories: I liked it. Definently better than some of OZONE's earlier work. If Aviator can start kicking out work more often he could go parkmaker before the end of H2H3 (8-9 months from now).

Klamath Lake: Um, this park was terribly dull. I mean the colors made it boring. The rides were a bit messed up too. The Virginia Reel, The white wooden coaster and that sweet hotel were the strong points and they really carried the park.

ride6
  • deanosrs%s's Photo
    I liked all the rct2 parks... my favourite was Klamath Lake, although as said before colours needed spicing up. The architecture in places was great - I especially liked the building that housed most of the Virginia Reel.

As for Slob and Six Frag's park... it was very nice but needed more variation and less 2x2 perhaps... enjoyable to look at nonetheless, and I feel it's just a taster of what both members may produce in the future.

Ride6's was the weakest of the lot for me, even though I still liked aspects of it. The architecture definitely needs work... your problem is the complete opposite to Klamath Lake - the colours are way too varied and way too bright. Sure, use bright colours, but try to keep it to window/door frames, balconies, etc rather than the very walls themselves... You need to start straying into quarter tile territory and, like Dolphin Parc, more of your buildings need to serve a purpose. Like most, I loved the woodie - probably the best coaster out of the lot...
  • Ride6%s's Photo

Ride6's was the weakest of the lot for me, even though I still liked aspects of it. The architecture definitely needs work... your problem is the complete opposite to Klamath Lake - the colours are way too varied and way too bright. Sure, use bright colours, but try to keep it to window/door frames, balconies, etc rather than the very walls themselves... You need to start straying into quarter tile territory and, like Dolphin Parc, more of your buildings need to serve a purpose. Like most, I loved the woodie - probably the best coaster out of the lot...

You have no !%@$ing clue how much all those things have changed to exactly what your saying for my next park. I'm glad everyone likes the racers (I'm assuming it's the racers not Swamp Fox, the out and back).

Also I don't really like Sunburst Shores as much as it may seem. I agree that it's over-hyped. The colors are messed up and I've learned my lesson there.

Ride6
  • Alpengeist%s's Photo
    KLAP was fucking awsome
  • yeshli2nuts%s's Photo
    anyone know when the next runner-ups are comming out?
  • Kumba%s's Photo
    well their would need to be a new spotlight first, and no worthy park has been sent since RoB, or maybe Age of Empire will have runner ups to it? but it won in a vote, not like nornal spotlights that are jugded by iris
  • yeshli2nuts%s's Photo
    oh, i sent in a zelda themed park a few weeks ago and i really want to release it. can you tell me if its worth releasing it or waiting to see if it wins anything?
  • KaiBueno%s's Photo

KLAP was fucking awsome

^Thank you.

To the other runner-up winners, my apologies for not reviewing your parks as I said I would. I know it's been a month, and I really do feel awful about it, but my time lately has been limited. Very limited.

At the very least, I can discuss it with you privately in e-mail/PM, but congrats on this award also. The variety of entries (and even the random LL entry now and again) were great, and there were some interesting concepts used.

Once again, sorry for the lack of reviews written thus far. I mean no disrespect, am sorry that the moment has likely already passed (and I'm still thinking a week or so before I get around to it - if that), but anyways, congrats, and thanks for the comments on KLAP. It was a blast to make, and I'm happy that some of you understand what it is truly about (color scheme included), and enjoyed the park.

Best wishes to future rounds of the Spotlight/Runner-ups...and to Acorn Springs, which I finally sent in after sitting on it too long. Like I said...been busy, as it was done at the end of October...

Kai :huey:
  • Liampie%s's Photo

From Sunburst Shores: isn't this the coolest parking lot ever?

Attached Image: parking.png

The park as a whole is pretty mediocre, but there are some cool things like this and a woodie dueler.

• KaiBueno%s's Photo

Found Iris' full review (missing images) from waybackmachine - i wanted to keep it:

Of all the parkmaking clubs that come and go...RCTU, RCTI, RCTA, RCTX, whatever that dark-style parkmaking club was, RCTU:P, etc. there has always been one club that has withstood all the others and continued making parks the way they want to, RCTM. The originals, a club headed by KaiBueno, who has recruited one of the largest and most impressive rosters of any club ever seen (New Element Parkmakers included). In fact, RCTM is where some of today's hottest parkmakers got their start, such as mantis, ToonTowner, and Twisted. Not only do they have already established parkmakers on their roster, but they have some of the brightest upcoming stars as well...stargazer, Midnight Aurora, RWAdams, spiderman, and of course cBass. Not to mention the already established RCT Station hall of famers, like Mike Robbins, Nic T, Mick, and of course club leader KaiBueno. Now they unveil their newest group park, #15 in the set, a park by both RCTNW (another member of the group) and KaiBueno, a frontier-esque resort featuring some incredibly creative rides, beautiful hotels, and great, unconventional theming. And you know what? I wouldn't expect anything less from The Masters.

kl_1.gif

Here you'll see some of the incredible architecture displayed in this park. In what appears to be KaiBueno's type of work (could be wrong here), you see the building that holds the station (and portions of the ride) to "Foster's Financial Turnaround", a Virginia Reel (a Kai trademark), following in the footsteps of the wild and crazy Reel found in his Glasshouse Gardens park. I love the architecture though more then anything, the pillars remind me of Mala's Escalante River Falls, with incredible detail to each 1/4 piece of theming. The "Eagle Rock Scenic Tour" is also on display, a river flume ride that passes right next door to this insane Virginia Reel.
    kl_2.gif

This screen shows two of the park's premier attractions. First off, the wooden coaster, "Cougar Run", a classic wooden coaster with a particularly nice layout, as it seems to fit so well with the rugged landscaping of Klamath Bay. The diagonal lift hill has never looked better in my opinion, and with all the greens, blacks, and browns this park shows off, the bright, traditional paint scheme of the wooden coaster brings a nice contrast to the park. There's also a gigantic hotel in the background, undeniably the work of RCTNW, who is known far and wide for his gigantic, yet incredible hotels. If you want to see more of RCTNW's hotel building skills, check out his Pro Tour entry from week 1, a round in which upcoming star John won, possibly the toughest of all rounds so far.
    kl_3.gif

This screen just shows some of the standard theming you'll find all over the Klamath Bay Resort. The "Cove Point Carousels" stick out in my mind, for the great architecture and beautiful atmosphere they exude, really a huge benefit to any park when someone can create such enjoyable carousel rides, and this one is a great example. You'll also notice the changes in elevation in the path-layout and landscaping, which keeps the park exciting at all times and maintains the rough, rugged, frontier-like environment that the entire resort enjoys. Beautiful floral arrangements line the buildings and pathways, as the Klamath Lake Railway steams by, not to mention the very popular "Eagle's Flight" attraction, a terrifyingly high, yet relaxing and scenic chairlift ride that takes riders from the mainland to Fort Wilderness, a small "hideaway" island nearby. Congrats to both RCTNW & KaiBueno, and the entire RCTM club. No other club has put out more consistently good group parks as you guys...and I can only imagine what's going to come out of the upcoming ones...such as the Masters Pallette, Festival, the Showcase, and Acorn Falls (what the hell ever happened to this park?)

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading