Music Forum / New Muse album

• Jazz%s's Photo
    Anyone else heard about this yet? I can't wait, Muse will never top Radiohead but they're still a great band. It seems like the Resistance will be like their "In Rainbows." From what I've heard it seems like they're really emphasizing some classical influences which is always great, and they sound a lot like Queen, which is equally commendable. Discuss.
  • Steve%s's Photo
    Sammy is your man to talk about this.

I am fan of Uprising. I'm looking forward to how the rest of the album sounds. I miss the "old" Muse though.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i am so excited for monday.
    chances are im the biggest muse fan on the forum.
    i think theyre better than radio head, but thats my oppinion.

so, fifth album, ten years after their first?
    noice.
    united states of eurasia is a cracking song,
    they had their first live show of the tour on saturday, and i listened to them on the internet, the live show in teignmouth, and USoE is fucking magnificent.

i really respect the way theyre going with this album, theyre willing to do what they like, and make some truly new stuff, not just continuations of their previous stuff which has been a success, just to stay successful.

there will be a full review when i go and buy it on monday.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

i think theyre better than radio head, but thats my oppinion.

I don't want to start an argument, I can respect your opinion; but why?
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    cause im not trendy like you, okay?
  • zodiac%s's Photo
    lol, had this for like two weeks already. s'alright.
  • Jazz%s's Photo

I wouldn't consider calling Radiohead better than Muse being 'trendy.' There are those who prefer Radiohead, and those who prefer Muse. From a purely objective standpoint, Radiohead has been around longer, since the early 90s. Muse's first album, Showbiz, was from 1999 correct? I think it is perfectly acceptable and quite normal for bands to use others as a source of inspiration. I mean, on United States of Eurasia, while it is a mind-bendingly awesome song, the Queen influence is so strong that it may even be too much. Even the piano segment in said track was taken from Chopin's Nocturne Op.9 No.2. However, it is a brilliant piece that fits in seamlessly with the rest of the song, and even more telling is that it indicates Matthew Bellamy has good taste in music. Infusing classical into rock is always superb.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that to say Muse didn't imitate Radiohead to at least some extent is somewhat ignorant. Thom was factually the 'founder' of the epic falsetto, and while Bellamy does a good job with his take on it, it is most likely a guaranteed fact that Thom paved the way for his style, whether he likes to admit it or not is irrelevant. That being said, in the end all bands take inspiration from some medium of music at some point in their career, or else, how would they know where to start from their initial impetus of creativity? So you can't really blame Muse for sounding similar to Radiohead since, well, it isn't all that uncommon these days; but that doesn't imply that this axiom should be denied either.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    http://www.bbc.co.uk...ide_Rendezvous/

i hope you guys can view this
  • Comet%s's Photo
    only UK
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i know. uk proxy maybe?
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

Are you fucking serious? Everyone I know who likes Muse is a scene kid.
  • Steve%s's Photo

...Yeah, and?

Muse have been ripping pages out of Radiohead's book from the get-go.
    There are differences, obviously. Like the fact Thom doesn't build his own guitars and doesn't make songs identical to Queen.

If you like Muse you should like Radiohead. Especially since Radiohead is better.
  • Dr_Dude%s's Photo

...Yeah, and?

Scene kids be trendy 'lil buggers.

Anyway, that's not even grounds to disown a band. Seriously. AnCo are trendy as hell and I still love'em.
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo

Maybe you know a disproportionate number of scene kids?

Whatever, Radiohead and Muse are both good bands. Who cares if Muse imitates them, they still make good music.

Re: the new album: everything I've heard of it so far is too electronic for my tastes. There doesn't seem to be as much raw guitar work as their earlier albums. Hopefully Bellamy will get it all out of his system in this album and they can go back to writing rock music again.

-ACE
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    well quite frankly, this thread is completely ridiculous.
    its almost as if you guys are trying to stop me from liking muse.
    i greatly enjoy listening to muse, prove me wrong if you can find the radiohead song the copied off for hoodoo, knights of cydonia, new born, plug in baby, bliss, meglomania, darkshines.
    maybe i have a different viewpoint to music than you do, but i think its plain ignorant to say muse = almost radiohead.
    come prove me wrong if you think its necassary, i just think some of you guys have got your prioritys a little muddled up.
  • tracidEdge%s's Photo
    muse is terrible radiohead is terrible everybody just kill yourselfs, thanks for listening
  • ACEfanatic02%s's Photo
    Alright, after one run through, I gotta say this was a lot better than I expected. "Resistance" and "MK Ultra" are pretty good, and Exogenesis is made of fucking win.

Still not on par with Origin of Symmetry though.

-ACE
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    my favourite song on the album is i belong to you, that is freaking awesome.

one problem i have with it is that most of the songs are so hard to follow, theyve gone overboard with the whole "citizen ereased" style thing. LOUUD BIT quite bit LOUD BIT quite bit etc...

the songs lack stable struckture in places.
  • Jazz%s's Photo
    The album is excellent because of Exogenesis. What a masterpiece.
  • SSSammy%s's Photo
    i much prefered this to exogenisis. just my oppinion really, im not denyting its excellence.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading