Ask the Experts / Codex Basics

• Louis!%s's Photo
    Here is practically all you need to know about how to build efficiently and creatively with Codex. I originally created this tutorial to help out LL 'newbies' if any made it into my H2H6 team, in the end it was only FK that ever recieved this. Enjoy.

Unfortunately at this time I don't have images, but eventually they will appear.

Step 1:

Load your saved game and then load Codex. If you are using Aero themes in Windows 7 you need to disable these. (Right click on the desktop, at the bottom of the menu is 'Personalize', this brings up the panel where you can change from an Aero theme to a Basic theme.

When Codex has loaded you can see there is 9 icons. 2 are currently selected the Sun, and the Traffic Lights.

The sun makes it sunny all the time, and the traffic lights tells you whether codex is recording what you are building or not.

Now click the crane next to the traffic lights to bring up the map control.

Step 2:

Build any items in the save game, barrels, walls, stone objects, anything. Just to watch them show up in the Map Control.

Ta dah! Everything you've placed so far appears in the Map Control. The most recently built item appears first.

It shows the land tile its on (it allows you to raise or lower this land tile, and the next set of arrows allows you to raise or lower everything on the tile).
    Underneath the land tile it shows the object you have placed. The first number and arrow is its height, the second is it's clearance. Don't worry about the second, the first is what you need.

Raise and lower a few items just to get a feel for it.

Now click the traffic lights. Map control will now disappear and codex is no longer recording what you build. It's important to turn it off when you aren't using it otherwise you get a backlog in your map control.

Step 3:

Turn map control back on (you should know how to do this now) and open it up (again you should know how)

Build the wall that you want to clone, it can be placed anywhere on the map.

Now build another item like a barrel or a bush.

You can see these items are now in the map control. What you now need to do is find your wall and click and drag it on to the bush (in the map control). You bush will now magically have turned into the wall, in the place of the bush.

Open it up in game and you can see it has!

This is cloning. You can do this to anything. You just have to make sure you are cloning the right thing, as at times, it can become confusing.

If you want to build a large wall it's just then a case of raising the wall up, building another bush and then cloning the wall again.

Step 4:

Use all this to just play around and experiment. I've given you the basics, its now up to you to find out how to use those basics to create brilliant LL.
  • chorkiel%s's Photo

I have a somewhat related question. Decided to learn codex today, but when I try to open it I get this message:

"System Error &H80004023 (-2147467229). An error occurred to Microsoft Software Installer."

I installed the version I downloaded from this website and I also changed the compatibility to XP SP2 like I have with all my LL tools and LL itself. My computer runs on Windows 8.

Anyone know where I messed up?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading