Music Forum / Your Favorite Albums of 2012

• Dr_Dude%s's Photo
    No format for this, I chose a top ten but obviously people will want to do something else

1. Death Grips-The Money Store
    2. Converge- All We Love We Leave Behind
    3. Tig Notaro-Live
    4. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
    5. Captain Murphy- Duality
    6. Death Grips-NO LOVE DEEP WEB
    7. High on Fire- De Vermis Mysteriis
    8. Code Orange Kids- Love is Love//Return to Dust
    9. Swans-The Seer
    10. Killer Mike- R.A.P. Music
  • rct2isboss%s's Photo
    Rocketshipshawty---Kid Ink
    Up & Away--- Kid Ink
  • Coupon%s's Photo
    The Heist---Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

:D
  • imawesome1124%s's Photo
    I only heard 3 new albums in 2012: Amaryllis by Shinedown, The End is Where We Begin by Thousand Foot Krutch, and O God Save Us All by Disciple. I think my favorite is O God Save Us All. Disciple really went back to their old Southern Metal style with some pretty heavy stuff. Of course they had a few slow songs, every good rock album has to have at least one, but I think it's their best album to date.
  • tdub96%s's Photo
    Tremonti - All I Was
    Three Days Grace - Transit of Venus
    Stone Sour - House of Gold and Bones
    Otherwise - True Love Never Dies
    Julien K - We're Here With You
    Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood Of Colour
    Linkin Park - Living Things
    10 Years - Minus the Machine
    Memphis May Fire - Challenger
    As I Lay Dying - Awakened
    Periphery - This Time its Personal
    Machine Gun Kelly - Lace Up

No particular order. imawesome, you'd like the first 4 on this list if you ever gave them a listen.
  • Pacificoaster%s's Photo
    No particular order as well:

Blink 182 - Dogs Eating Dogs EP
    Such Gold - Misadventures
    The Swellers - Running Out of Places to Go
    Say Anything - Anarchy, My Dear
    I See Stars - Digital Renegade
    The Offspring - Days Go By
    Matt and Kim - Lightning
  • chorkiel%s's Photo
    By release order:

The Fray - Scars and Stories
    fun. - Some Nights
    Train - California 37
    Keane - Strangeland
    Matchbox Twenty - North
    Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
    The Script - #3
    Mumford and Sons - Babel
    Muse - The 2nd Law

These is kind of my top. I have several other albums I did like but not as much. I also have a lot of albums I still have to listen too..

Tremonti - All I Was

No particular order. imawesome, you'd like the first 4 on this list if you ever gave them a listen.

Oh, I completely forgot about All I Was lol. I still stand with my choice though, but All I Was is an awesome album.
  • Super G%s's Photo
    The Script - #3, definately. Loved every bit of it.
  • Hex%s's Photo
    The Fallout - Crown The Empire
    Challenger - Memphis May Fire
    The 2nd Law - Muse
    Awakened - As I Lay Dying
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    My favourites:

Graveyard - Lights out
    Wintersun - Time
    Gojira - L'enfant sauvage
    Arjen A. Lucassen - Lost in the new Real

"MFG"
  • FK+Coastermind%s's Photo
    My number one Is definitely
    -Given to the Wild by The Maccabees.

But I was also very fond of
    Baby-Tribes
    Lex Hives- The Hives
    Lonerism- Tame Impala
    In Light-GIVERS
    My Head is an Animal-Of Monsters and Men
    Beacon-Two Door Cinema Club
    Boys & Girls-Alabama Shakes
    Blunderbuss-Jack White
    America Give Up-Howler
    Django Django-Django Django
    Born to Die-Lana Del Rey
    Neck of the Woods-Silversun Pickups

FK
  • Wicksteed%s's Photo
    Already posted that one in the current favorite album thread:

The Hirsch Effekt - Holon:Anamnesis

I strongly recommend this album to the prog/metal listeners here. but be careful. German lyrics! www.thehirscheffekt.com
  • MCI%s's Photo
    Die Ärzte - auch
    LinkinPark - Living Things
    Howard Shore - The Hobbit "An unexpected Journey" (Movie Soundtrack)
  • Liampie%s's Photo
    Tough. Some great albums this year, and it's very close around the top spots.

I only included the albums I actually listened to. Muse's and Therion's albums were too uninteresting unfortunately. They both amazed me in the past. Flying Colors (with self-titles debut album), Heidevolk's Batavi and Delain's We Are the Others also didn't make the list. Lastly, I've got Katatonia's Dead End Kings on my computer but I haven't given it a proper listen yet. Might make the 2012 favourites list sometime.

Threshold - March of Progress
    Excellent accessible prog metal. So fucking catchy. And the atmosphere is really positive and down to earth. The album sounds like some skilled musicians having fun in the studio rather than a bunch of satanistic cannibals in a basement. That's how I like my music. 8/10

Posted Image

The Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
    Initially intended to be epic and loud, but also romantic and ethereal, I expected this album to be among my all-time favourites. It appeared to be more balls to wall catchy metal and less of an etheral romantic album. Disappointing, but only because of my too high expectations. Still a great album with some great songs. Also includes song of the year. 7,5/10

The Devin Townsend Project - Epiclouder
    The Epicloud bonus disc was surprisingly strong, arguably even better than the main disc, and therefore more than worthy of a mention here. This disc contains some of the romantic ethereal stuff I hoped for. An uncohesive collection of awkward songs of all types ranging from 50's blues to extreme metal. Some lows and some very high highs. 7,5/10

Posted Image

Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost in the New Real
    Cool atmosphere, cool tunes, Rutger Hauer, a great backing vocalist, a mediocre but very charismatic lead vocalist, and a wide range of styles. One or two uninteresting songs but overall solid. 7/10

Posted Image

Circus Maximus - Nine
    More progressive metal. Again, mature and quite positive in vibe. Didn't blow me away for most part, but it's very enjoyable stuff that doesn't get boring quickly. Probably because it's not that addictive. Moderate fun that lasts. 6,5/10

Posted Image

Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent
    I will never be a real Epica fan; I don't like grunts, the occasional being heavy for the sake of heaviness and their trying-too-hard titles and lyrics. However, I admit that some of their songs are really well crafted and their style is getting more enjoyable with each album. This album is their best yet and I love some of the songs on here. 6,5/10

Posted Image

Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
    Sonata Arctica has always been on the border of brilliantly original and horribly cheesy, and this is the first album where it goes wrong. Some songs are absolute shit. Fortunately some songs are very good, but compared to the stronger songs from previous albums not mindblowing. 5/10

Posted Image
    Sonata Arctica and Epica are both awesome bands. I normally hate grunts but I can tolerate them in Epica for some reason.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Sonata Arctica and Epica are both awesome bands. I normally hate grunts but I can tolerate them in Epica for some reason.

I can tolerate them if there's not too much of it. :) What did you think about Stones Grow Her Name?
    I only heard maybe 3 songs from the album, simply because I don't buy albums. The songs I heard were pretty good. My favorite song from them is Flag In The Ground.
  • Xeccah%s's Photo
    I really like Hold On, More!, and Liberation from Epicloud.

Thanks Liam
  • Liampie%s's Photo

I really like Hold On, More!, and Liberation from Epicloud.

Thanks Liam

Good to hear, but the best song on the album is easily Grace.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading