RCT Discussion / OpenRCT2

• jandoa%s's Photo

Look what I found here:

https://openrct2.com/

I played OpenTTD for ages, so I'm very excited that they're now focusing on RCT2.

What do you guys think?

• Mattk48%s's Photo

So this looks promising. Big question here is will it work with 8 cars. I'm not sure that it will. I think with time this project will revolutionize rct2. It sounded like they were working No object limit, or a much at least a much higher one. That alone is enough to get me interested. A realizable windowed mode would be nice too. I wonder if 8 cars functions could be worked into the actual game as tools? that would be convenient

I always like to see Rct showing signs of making a comeback. This is one of those things that could potentially bring new players to the game.

interesting Find Jandoa 

• inthemanual%s's Photo

8cars integration won't matter. People will either be able to write add-ons that act as trainers, or there will be included tools that let you do most of the functions that trainers are used for.

• posix%s's Photo

Let's hope he's got the dedication. This could be interesting.

• Roomie%s's Photo

You know you can download and run it now. It runs off the original game files like OTTD used to. The window mode works already and there is a small cheat menu in the top left. Still plenty of bugs but its early days

• Levis%s's Photo

Hmmm....they actually sound like they know what they are doing.

This is interesting......maybe I should get in contact with them to contribute ... hmmm .... but I dont have time .... Could someone at least get in contact with them to let them know there is a community here who does has some knowledge of the game. They are still figuring out a lot of stuff. I dont know if they even know about the rct2 TID and some of th knowledge we already gathered.

• Nitrous Oxide%s's Photo
    The "mountain tool" is also working. I hate having to ctrl-tab to get to 8cars so most of my parks don't use much of the mountain tool and a lot of other stuff like zero clearance I use here and there, but I stop losing interest going back and forth. It takes the fun out of the game. So if this really continues to grow I could see myself being more motivated to work on parks.
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Levis or other technical people, is it possible to make the tree scatter tool available using a trainer, like the mountain tool in 8cars? I don't think it exists already, but would it possible for someone to add a feature like this to 8cars? Would be such a relief.

• 5dave%s's Photo

^they included the scatter scenery tool and the mountain tool already.

cxg9sz7n4n1ueo5qg.png

Another nice feature of OpenRCT2 - the generate random landscape tool.

Also there seems to be a feature to increase and decrease game speed, which I didn't get to work yet...

"MFG"

• Cocoa%s's Photo

and it doesn't look too bad either. if this really gets going properly, will we all just switch over? will sv6s switch seamlessly?

• inthemanual%s's Photo
    I planned to switch over at some point. I thought developing tools for/within it might be fun.
  • 5dave%s's Photo
    It's not really a switch, it uses the original data of rct2 and enhances the game without changing existing data. All the rct2cso parks work fine with openrct2.

"MFG"
  • Cocoa%s's Photo
    thats actually amazing. It's like a better version of that other rct2 that rct avenged promoted way back, that had invisible stations and black tile landscaping. Hope they can implement some of that stuff too.

Can you open openrct parks in the regular game?
  • 5dave%s's Photo

^There are no OpenRCT2 parks. There are the same as RCT2. At least as of now.

"MFG"

• Six Frags%s's Photo

Anyone managed to get this to work? It just gets stuck on the console thingy when I start it up..

So it uses the same .sv6 file format rct2 does Dave?

And can you open OpenRCT2 files with the regular game too?

I remember RCT Modified did a similar thing with the game, only they changed values in the .exe so it became a separate file format (.sv7 I think) and when you opened its files in the original RCT2 those values were changed to the original ones. Like for example the entrance and exits huts became visible again.

But yeah, I can't open it, so I'm unable to see if it could work for us..

• disneylandian192%s's Photo

This looks to have incredible potential. I'm very excited to see what can come from this! It could be the biggest thing for new element since custom scenery!

• nin%s's Photo

Can we have a search feature in the object tab? Rather than just looking through an endless amount of blocks in the misc. tab, could I just search for one that I know the name of, or at least part of the name?

• dr dirt%s's Photo

Best thing they could do is raise the SE object selection limits, and raise object data limit.  Also, a built in object manipulator like codex would make building so much faster and simpler.

Oh, and fixing the date system would be nice - actual days of the month plus realistic years.. (2015 rather than 2,015).

• inthemanual%s's Photo

I planned on adding in an extension for an object manipulator like codex after it was released. 

• dr dirt%s's Photo

I planned on adding in an extension for an object manipulator like codex after it was released. 

This would be huge.  I'm not a technical expert just thinking of cool possibilities, but would a direct object editor be possible?  To explain, make/edit an object in game and it's instantly available for placement?

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading