NE Olympics '16 / July 14th: Biathlon

Which Country had the strongest Biathlon Entry?

1. Kingdom of Ni 1 vote [3.70%]
    • Jaguar
    Percentage of vote: 3.70%
  2. People's Democratic Republic of the Chillippines 1 vote [3.70%]
    • CHE
  3. Aesthetica 0 votes [0.00%]
    Percentage of vote: 0.00%
  4. Parkmenistan 21 votes [77.78%]
    • G Force
    • Kumba
    • Iron Rattler
    • Liampie
    • chorkiel
    • Chrixz
    • Sulakke
    • RCT2day
    • olddtfan51
    • Fisch
    • GammaZero
    • Faas
    • trav
    • bigshootergill
    • Maverix
    • Jappy
    • Lilith
    • Louis!
    • Mr. Coaster
    • Cocoa
    • rafatleta.br
    Percentage of vote: 77.78%
  5. ][topia 4 votes [14.81%]
    • RWE
    • Bubbsy41
    • misterthom
    • Scoop
    Percentage of vote: 14.81%
  6. Coaster Rica 0 votes [0.00%]

Which Country had the second strongest Biathlon Entry?

1. Kingdom of Ni 1 vote [3.70%]
    • Kumba
  2. People's Democratic Republic of the Chillippines 15 votes [55.56%]
    • G Force
    • Jaguar
    • RWE
    • Chrixz
    • Sulakke
    • olddtfan51
    • Fisch
    • GammaZero
    • Faas
    • Maverix
    • Lilith
    • Louis!
    • Mr. Coaster
    • Cocoa
    • rafatleta.br
    Percentage of vote: 55.56%
  3. Aesthetica 0 votes [0.00%]
  4. Parkmenistan 2 votes [7.41%]
    • Bubbsy41
    • Scoop
    Percentage of vote: 7.41%
  5. ][topia 8 votes [29.63%]
    • Iron Rattler
    • Liampie
    • CHE
    • RCT2day
    • misterthom
    • trav
    • bigshootergill
    • Jappy
    Percentage of vote: 29.63%
  6. Coaster Rica 1 vote [3.70%]
    • chorkiel
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Biathlon

This discipline has a narrow scope, despite the similarities to the very open to interpretation Pentathlon. In the Biathlon, you must build a small park using two given ingredients.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Objective: build a small park using the following two ingredients:

Steel coaster, custom flat ride

Rules: The maximum amount of tiles for this park is 2500, excluding black tiles.

Deadline: July 14th

Scoring
    1st place: 10 points
    2nd place: 8 points
    3rd place: 6 points
    4th place: 4 points
    5th place: 2 points

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Voting

Voting Guidelines
    You are expected to view all entries and cast a fair vote. It is considered very poor comradeship to vote with bias. We also ask you not to vote unless you've viewed all entries in the game. Aside from the general quality of the entries, you're also supposed to take into account how well each entry meets this discipline's objective as described above.

We are closing polls after ~3 days. Entries on a tie receive the same amount of points. There won't be any waiting for a decisive vote. Votes are also public this time to counter cheating.

There are two polls; one for your favourite entry, one for your second favourite. Votes in the former poll will weigh twice as much.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Kingdom of Ni

The Curse of Diaz Island by Kumba (90%), Jaguar (8%), and thirteen (2%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

PDR of the Chillippines

Herne the Hunter by FredD (99%) and Jappy (1%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Aesthetica

Royal Fair by Coupon (80%) and DobieShep (20%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Parkmenistan

Last Days by Alex (41%), Faas (24%), Tolsimir (23%), and Liampie (12%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

][topia

Batman the Ride by Bubbsy41 (33%), RWE (34%), and Recurious (33%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Coaster Rica

Adventureland by chorkiel (85%) and Version1 (15%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• FredD%s's Photo

Does the custom flat ride need to be peepable?

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Nope.
  • X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I am unclear:  does "custom flat ride" mean a custom object (like AE's rides), or a hacked tracked ride made to look like a flat? I see the same term used for both.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    The latter. Can be hacked, can be just scenery, whatever you want. A custom object like AE's rides technically are custom flat rides too, good point, but that's more of a 3d modeling skill than an rct skill. And you'd be the only participant. :p
  • FredD%s's Photo

It seems the countdown is set a day too late... 

• Liampie%s's Photo
    No. Same time as always. Seems like it is an hour late somehow, but whatever. This works
  • FredD%s's Photo
    It says 1 day and 7 hours left. Tomorrow is the 15th, not the 14th...
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    Tomorrow is the 14th in the US. The deadline is after the 14th everywhere.
  • FredD%s's Photo
    Would've been easier if you put the European deadline in the post as well. This is confusing. But oh well, submitted anyway.
  • Version1%s's Photo

This is confusing.

How? There is a countdown. If a countdow is wrong I'm sure the admins will accept submissions either way.

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Fred, this is the European deadline. Everyone has the same deadline.
  • FredD%s's Photo

Fred, this is the European deadline. Everyone has the same deadline.

I mean it would look less confusing if the European time of the deadline was written down. 14 July is for Americans but for me and you it is the 15th...

I was confused and didn't want to trust on the countdown. I don't want to nag.
  • Kumba%s's Photo

Read Me for our park:

June 28th 1778

The small boat rowed slowly to the shore. Mr. Diaz had promised the boys for weeks that he'd show them the island and the cave. James Jr. and William Chapman were inquisitive about what made this small island special, but Diaz was not a friendly man and said nothing, probably because he was worried that they would tell their father that they went with him. Had he not been drunk, he would have never mentioned the island.

Diaz had to use a machete to lead the boys into the center of the island. The jungle brush was so thick that when they go through it the towering cave rocks were only a few feet in front of them. When they entered the cave, their was a golden glow from a pile of Aztec treasure.

"We need to take back as much of this as we can!" cried James as he started to collect pieces of gold into his shirt.

"No!" said Diaz. "This gold is cursed. There was more, but those who took it died soon after."

"Don't be ridicules," said William. He and James took over a dozen pieces of gold from the cave and brought it to their father, James Chapman.

A week later, William died of malaria. Only two days after his death, James was found dead on the island of mysterious causes...

November 3rd 1799

Over 20 years after the Chapman treasure find by his sons, James Chapman was now living on the island. He had the area in front of the cave cleared and dug for more treasure, but none was found. Mr. Diaz was now 76 years old lived in a small hut near the entry to the cave. Chapman paid him to give tours of the cave to locals.

May 28th 1831

Mr. Diaz lived to the staggering age of 108. He passed peacefully in his sleep on this day. His funeral was attended by two of his three children, 11 grandchildren, 45 great grandchildren, 109 great-great grandchildren, nine great-great-great grandchildren and one great-great-great-great grandson. Paul Chapman, son of James Sr. and brother of James Jr. and William was also in attendance.

After his burial, the priest asked to speak with Paul and Mr. Diaz's two children.

"Mr. Diaz has requested that his family receive no rights to any of the gold found on the island," said the priest. "Instead, he asks that the island be named Diaz Island to honer his family."

After much talk, both the Diaz and Chapman families agreed to the seemingly unfair deal. It was important to the Diaz family that their patriarch be remembered, much like it was important to the Chapman family to maintain its wealth.

July 17th 1890

Paul Chapman III had fallen on hard times. The 'so-called' treasure island he  inherited had provided no wealth. If anything, the place was a giant money pit. Chapman had heard a number of rumors that a key to finding more treasure would be found on top of the cave. He had a mining cart constructed to attempt to excavate the top of the cave. Once the time had come to start digging, a hurricane hit the island. Two workers were killed and talk of the curse spread. Chapman was never able to find a crew to try and dig the cave-top. He tried to dig it himself that winter, but he was struck by lightning as he dug and died atop the cave.

March 30th 1965

Philip Chapman Jr. wanted to end of the curse on his family and saw only one way to do it. He sold the property rights to a man named Jean Warren from the Bahamas. Prior to the sale, the island had sat untouched for many years as Chapman lived in upstate New York.

Warren was a young man when he bought the island, only 22-years-old. He would spend over 40 years independently combing over every inch of the island.

July 18th 1985

Warren was losing his mind. He had spent the majority of his life digging up Diaz Island. Not that he had nothing to show for it. He had found pieces of gold and even went into town with them to buy things. He would spend the vast majority of his time on the mainland in a bar drinking. He often told the locals vivid and wild tales of the island that involved aliens and sex. These stories were told with such animation that he earned the name "crazy eyes."

December 9th 2011

One day while drinking, a pair of brothers approached Warren about the sale of the island. They had brought cash and seemed to catch the old man during a moment of weakness. He sold the island to them the next day. Within months, the men got to work excavating a site on the west side of the island. They called it "20X" in honor of a bore hole dug on a potential treasure island they owned a share of off Nova Scotia.

May 2nd 2015

After a few years of digging, the men had discovered a mostly empty treasure vault within the cave system. They believed it was where Warren got money to support his drinking habit. They also found a system of box drains that they believed was related to some type of booby trap. However, they also decided that there was no reason to continue to search the island. Later that year, the brothers decided to try to capitalize on the lure of the island and turned it into a tourist attraction.

• Iron Rattler%s's Photo

I would have loved to see Aesthetica's entry finished. It definitely had potential. The coaster and the facade of the mansion were excellent. Coaster Rica's entry seemed rather generic to me. The park seemed lacking in atmosphere. I'm curious if the park was once a potential pentathlon entry. Besides the cliff it came close to fitting the other requirements. I really enjoyed Itopia's coaster and backstory. The park definitely got the vibe it wanted across. However I didn't notice a custom flat. I eventually figured out that the mansion fit that requirement, but the other two parks seemed to fit the objective better and got my vote. I loved Batman the ride. It was a lot of fun to look at very clean and sharp. What real life ride was it based off of? To me the clear winner was Last Days. I'm a fan of creative theming over realism and this park was also the most technically complex, so this park was perfect for me. After a slow start Parkmenistan has definitely proven themselves the team to beat in this competition

• chorkiel%s's Photo

Diaz Island
    Technically a solid entry. Though I'd say it's a bit bare, especially for such a small map. Doesn't have that stacked-with-ideas feel that you'd normally get from a Kumba park. I enjoyed the coaster layout.
    55%

Herne the Hunter
    This was quite nice. Foliage was striking as was the overall atmosphere. That mansion was great, especially the interiors.
    70%

Royal Fair
    Bummer that you weren't able to finish this. I really liked the theme. What was there looks really good already.

Last Days
    This was quite great. Should go for park of the season.
    85%

Batman
    This was a good batman coaster, but I feel like you could do so much more with batman. You've done a lot of things that have been done already. Doesn't help that we've already seen a DC themed park already, tbf. Generally this was sound work, though.
    65%

As for our park; I had quite some fun building it. Version1 was a great help and I'm thankful because without him we wouldn't have been able to get it done.

Coaster Rica's entry seemed rather generic to me. The park seemed lacking in atmosphere. I'm curious if the park was once a potential pentathlon entry.
    That's all mostly on purpose, though. Funnily enough, this was our original concept for the Improvising round.
  • Kumba%s's Photo

How does a solid entry only get a 55%? You really suck at rating parks. While your logic might be off, I can't disagree too much. It was rushed and made in 5 days. Best cliffs landscaping ever tho, so a 70%

Parkmeistan - Insane watercoaster duel, that was awesome. Loved the custom supports too. Otherwise, I was not too impressed by the entry. The archy and landscaping was repetitive and you didn't make a custom flat unless you count that awful swans ride. You win, but just thanks to a solid main ride with a meh setting. 80%

Chill - Great way to be unoriginal and rip off Nemesis and Disney's Hunted Mansion. Still, it's really good quality, just another flat ride fail and no effort to have peeps interact with the mansion. 75%

BTR - Seen it like a million times, but you did it well and made a decent custom flat which most others seemed to find unimportant. Very nice work. 75%

Coups & Coaster Rica - It was nice, but just so open and wide, could not really get into it. 65%

There, feedback post #3 after two fuckin days, something everyone else has been too fuckin lazy to do :peace:

• G Force%s's Photo

Darren brings up a good point.  If you judge based on how well the entry fulfills the requirements of the event, Parkmenistan probably isn't top 2 for me, the "custom flat" is hardly anything to worthy of the "custom flat" title.  Considering the concept and creativity of the map the swans ride was really quite underwhelming and comes off as a "oh shit we forgot ...." type of thing.   Both PDR and ][topia did a far better job when it comes to that aspect and had genuinely well made and supporting attractions. 

However if you simply judge on quality of the entry Parkmenistan is a step above the rest.  But considering the builders on the map it would be quite embarrassing for them not to win in a landslide.  The concept and creativity was top notch, the water coaster was really well done as well.  Felt a bit empty in areas though and it could of use some more small touches to give it a bit more depth and memorability.  75%

][topia probably would have been my favorite entry if the layout for BTR wouldn't have been so underwhelming, I get you weren't going for a recreation or even a realistic entry.  But the layout still is the weakest aspect.  The drop was really awkwardly shaped and the barrel roll in place of the corkscrew felt really forced and ruined the flow of the ride.  Supports could of been a bit better as well, but invert supports are always tough so I can get why they weren't that great.  Also, the 9 car train made me cringe, its not the biggest deal but kind of bugged me.  If anything it just looks worse than the standard 8 car trains on real inverts.  Still, the theming and architecture was just awesome.  Only bit I can really question outside of the coaster/layout was the bridge and queue.  It felt a bit awkward and bland compared to the rest of the theming.  BRT's often have great queue's and I felt yours was a bit underwhelming.  Still, a really good entry, just the coaster really frustrated me.  65%

PDR had a really solid entry as well, kind of felt the most like a classic design with a really solid ride concept and supporting area/ride.  Again, supports for the invert brought the ride down a bit, same goes for the 9 car train.  Fred, I though you knew coasters, surprised you would make that mistake!  The haunted mansion was really well done though, bummer its not peep able but still it was really cool to see.  Probably one of the more memorable things from this contest so far.  Foliage and landscaping wasn't that great though and felt pretty rushed, wish you would of spent a little more time on that to really pull the map together.  65%

Kingdom of Ni, yea just really felt rushed and didn't have the density that is required of Kumba's work to really come together.  The coaster was pretty underwhelming and the custom flat, while good in concept didn't have the execution we've come to expect from Kumba.  Its something that with some more work could be accolade worthy, however in its current form its there yet.  45%

The other two entries had potential but time seemed to be the final dagger in both these maps.  They deserved to be finished and I'd like to see them get the time and attention they deserve.  But Coups, please get rid of those awful hedges.

• Faas%s's Photo

Jesus Kumba, what´s your problem?

How does a solid entry only get a 55%? You really suck at rating parks. 

What? We suck at rating parks because someone doesn't like yours? That sounds unfair. 

you didn't make a custom flat unless you count that awful swans ride.

So we did make one? Why should it not count?

Kingdom of Ni

The coaster was pretty fun and the foliage was good. The architecture was pretty bad though, and I don't know what the custom flat is supposed to be. It doesn't look that good imo.

60%

chillipines

Great work Fred! Ioved the coaster and the mansion was awesome! Apart from the mansion, the rest of the architecture wasn't really up to standard with the rest. 

75%

Aesthetica & coaster rica

Unfinished and it seems pretty uninspired.

][topia

coaster and surroundings look great, but you couldn't have picked something less original for this round. Why? :(

70%

• Liampie%s's Photo
    How is a galf submerged merry-go-round not a flat ride?

Kumba I'm sorry but your reviews are so riduculous that I'd say it's one of the most entertaining posts on NE lately.

My reviews are coming hopefully tonight.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading