• djbrcace1234
    • Faas
    • olddtfan51
    • FredD
    • Recurious
    Percentage of vote: 41.67%
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Greco-Roman Parkmaking

Whereas a lot of disciplines in the NE Olympics 2016 are rather unique, Greco-Roman Parkmaking is as traditional as it gets! The art of the 'four corner park' is a classic, if not THE classic, and therefore a massive amount of points can be earned here. Despite the traditional nature of this discipline, seizing opportunities to add a 'twist' to this concept may be key to a victorious entry...

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Objective: build a park in LL that has four distinct areas, each set in a corner of the map.

Rules: The maximum map size is 60 by 60 tiles.

Deadline: July 28th

Scoring
    1st place: 15 points
    2nd place: 12 points
    3rd place: 9 points
    4th place: 6 points
    5th place: 3 point

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Kingdom of Ni

Mediterranean Mysteries by Iron Rattler (45%), Kumba (45%) and bigshootergill (10%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Coaster Rica

The Four Quarters by chorkiel (100%)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Aesthetica

The Death and Rebirth by Merzbow666 (1005)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Parkmenistan

Panoptica Peaks by Alex (57%) and Liampie (43%)

• Liampie%s's Photo
    Guys, it turns out I fucked up the timer and we have 24 more hours to work on our parks. Apologies.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo
    Unfortunately, the stars have misaligned, and we are left unable to complete the release prep this weekend. As such, the voting and results for this round will be postponed a few days. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • Iron Rattler%s's Photo
    How many entries came in for this round? Just to build hype
  • Liampie%s's Photo

Four!

• Lilith%s's Photo
    6 points to Aesthetica!
  • Scoop%s's Photo

when are they gonna be posted?

• Liampie%s's Photo
    We're live! Please do NOT vote until you've seen all parks in game. Or, alternatively, vote on "I don't have LL". Those who do have the game don't have an excuse not to check these parks out!
  • Lilith%s's Photo
    by Merzbow666 (1005)

I can't wait to look at these! Also in addition to being unfinished, I also noticed after the deadline that one of the pieces at the top of the lift on Hydroplane causes an error trapper so the coaster doesn't even work lmao

But to everyone else, from the overviews for now the entries look great!
  • Jappy%s's Photo

Since I can't make my copy of LL to open any parks of NE, and I really am not in a mood to be bothered with that now, I'll just wait for the review by G Force... Please wait until I'm back from holiday the 11th please :p

I do agree that these parks look great from the overview. Mediterranean Mysteries seems like a great classic, a park built in the true old NE style, while Panoptica Peaks looks like the most innovative... Will be interesting!

• Lilith%s's Photo

Panoptica Peaks

I knew Parkmenistan would probably win this event before I even saw the entries. Those clouds and the Kremlin walls were genius. I love all the little buildings and everything tucked away in between in the mine train area, super cute. I love all the little splashes of color in this area too, I wish the Chinese area was a little bit more colorful. I do love a good dive machine and log flume though.

Mediterranean Mysteries

Actual Greco-Roman parkmaking here, love it. Love all the color here, and the layout for Summanus is sick. The Greek peninsula looks great with the tile path and all the bits of blue. Solid #2.

The Four Quarters

Definitely a bit bare (I'm one to talk) but I do really like the architecture here. The mine area was pretty boring, but I liked the middle eastern-type area, very nice.

These were a blast to look at, nice work all

• Kumba%s's Photo

Pinnacles - Damn! It's like Twisted came out of retirement. This park is very in your face and packed, but also kinda piled up, not really in a the best way throughout. The Russia area is amazing, loved it! The Rocinha area was good, was happy to see an old school hacked coaster. The Asian area had its moments and an actual realistic coaster... which seemed a little out of place in this park, but I liked it anyways. The medieval area was a little weak, but I loved the default huts being used as castle themeing. The codex'ed clouds didn't really add much imo, but also didn't hurt the park. Nice to see you guys use peeps and the single-wide paths are kinda acceptable here. Very impressive work!

The Death and Rebirth - Tho unfinished, I really liked that bridge. The downtown was also good. My only issue was the lack of working rides and overall simplicity, but you had some nice things worked in.

Four Quarters - Nice stuff, tho 3 of the 4 quarters had 1 or 0 tree types. The Arab area was pretty good. The Roman and Mining area were also nice. Didn't really care for the jungle entry area tho.

Our park ended up a little rushed, but I thought IR did a great job getting it starting and finishing it. Some of the rushing had to do with my determination to add peeps to it. I did mess up one area of the hacked path, but it mostly worked and adds life to the park. Also thanks to BSG for jumping in late with some great help.

• G Force%s's Photo

Panoptica Peak is probably the best park of the contest.  Really awesome stuff all around, clouds were an interesting touch and payed off well.

Kumba, I have to say that's probably the best LL-peeping effort I've seen, zero twitching or anything.  

I'll try to catch up on reviews this weekend for this round as well as a few of the recent rounds.

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo

goddamit

I can't believe somebody thought of the cotton candy clouds, found a use for them, and got it out faster than I could finish the NEDC3 thing.  Although to be fair, it has been a year.

• Iron Rattler%s's Photo

Panoptica Peaks is just amazing. There are so many different cool ideas in this park. Everyone keeps talking about the Cotton Candy clouds, but the ride hut spires and the architecture throughout the Russian section of the park were the highlights for me. Tesla was another awesome ride from Parkmenistan. 

The death and rebirth was a cool concept but obviously unfinished. The city was a cool idea but seemed a little dead for what was supposed to be the lively modern section of the park. Peeps are really hard to do in LL but even just cars on the road would have helped it out a lot. Section 2 was easily the highlight of the park for me. I really enjoyed the industrial look of it, and the little details like the sewage and the water really helped this section. 

The four quarters seemed like it could have used some more time. There was some really good stuff but the lack of trees as someone mentioned really hurt the mine section which I really liked besides that detail. The city of thieves was probably my favorite part of this entry. 

I really liked the way our entry came out, as rushed as the last week on it was. I really enjoyed building with Kumba and BSG coming on to help out at the end. I had never built in LL before so it definitely was a learning experience. 

• Cocoa%s's Photo

Mediterranean mysteries:

its alright. none of the themes are really massively new, but they're executed... fine. the egyptian and greek are probably the best, but they do just seem like any old LL to be honest. layouts were also just average, nothing really stood out to me. I liked how you did the waterfall though, I reckon thats a good idea that just needs a bit of tweaking to make it look right.

four quarters:

overall the park is quite bare and very blocky- even the four lands are blocks, and everything inside them is blocky :p. there are some interesting structures though, a few good pieces of architecture. I also wasn't a fan of the layouts here, especially the woodie

death and rebirth:

I actually really enjoyed this. You can tell where you were rushed but I think you actually pulled it together pretty well to make it all sort of fit- good effort! the city was pretty nice actually, very clean and ordered (throughout, actually), and some good ideas coming through. even though the factory was mostly just a box, I actually think that was my favorite part- it came off as quite elegant and well put-together. it had pretty decent atmosphere and mystery so good work you guys.

panoptica peaks:

obviously the winnter here. brilliant through and through. the clouds were bold choice- they definitely add a lot of character to the park, although I'd love to see behind them!! I tried deleting them and it error trapped

:(

as expected there's a slew of brilliant ideas throughout- ride entrances as carcassone rooves, brilliantly executed glass-colored wood (I've never gotten it to work so well, damn), kremlin walls, etc. it also had a really fun, hectic vibe that reminded me a touch of mala or the jungley area in WOMB, with a bunch of coaster ed chucked in there too. fantastic work you guys!

unfortunately we didn't have an entry at all- I originally in the beginning of the contest played around with an idea where the seperating ocean/lake would be all in black tiles, and I'm actually still keen on the stuff I had in mind, it just wasn't clicking at that point as I'd been on a semi-rct haitus at the beginning of this contest and it always takes a week or two to get back into it I find, so my LL was crap :p. maybe another day I'll put it together...

• alex%s's Photo

Mediterranean Mysteries:

Some pretty cool stuff in here. Mediterranean themes are done to death but somehow always nice to see. I really liked the stepped aquaduct in the roman section. The woodie was cool too and had a certain old school appeal. I think more natural stuff throughout like rocks and foliage would have helped tie everything together.

Death and Rebirth:

A little bland but there was still some decent stuff. The factory was fairly atmospheric. I thought the petrol station use as a gateway was very clever. The urban archy was a solid start but with the 2x2/3x3 towers I think you need just a little detail at the tops and bottoms - archways at the base and maybe just a layer of fence with a path roof... it's fine to leave the sides as just the urban textures. Would've been nice to see more coasters. I didn't try testing hydroplane because I saw there was a piece of codex-raised track after the lift.

Four Corners:

I dig some of the entrance architecture but the paths are a little dull. With a few small flower planters and path details like benches/lamps and awnings this could’ve been really decent. Colours and archy in the middle eastern area are good but it suffers from the overall composition being too blocky. Coaster layouts don’t really seem to do much and lack defining elements/interactions. Tibetan temple was pretty cool but a little too heavy on the trackitecture.

@Cocoa: the coloured wood trick is actually done by cloning the middle piece of the wooden coaster water splash like so:

Attached Image: Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 15.23.17.png

I was pretty pleased with this find. should be a useful way of making LL archy more colourful. I think you would make particularly good use of it.

• pierrot%s's Photo

Probably God sent alex to keep LL awesomeness.

• csw%s's Photo

That's a fantastic trick, alex....can't believe no one's done that before. 

I'll definitely be checking these out, I would have loved to do a park for this round but time has not been on my side!

• Cocoa%s's Photo
    Oh fuck how did we never realize that before!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading