Theme Park Discussion / Cedar Point announces Mean Streak will be closing.

• Austin55%s's Photo

Get hype! What do ya'll think is going to happen?

• Version1%s's Photo

Just another classic coaster I will never get to ride.

• G Force%s's Photo
    "classic" is a massive overstatement.
  • Austin55%s's Photo

I think there is three ways this could go

1) The ride is rebuilt as a steel coaster by RMC and becomes one of the best rides in the world

2) The ride is rebuilt as a wooden coaster by GCI and is very good, maintains classic  feel

3) The ride is torn down and who knows what is built in its place

I think Option 2 would be the best really, making Mean Streak great again (Hello Mr. Trump) and keeping the wooden feeling wood be awesome. Some heavy re profiling like steeper drops, tighter banking, etc and new trains would really improve the ride. I think this is the most likely scenario to given CF's relationship with GCI (Quite a lot of work) and RMC (Nothing). RMC would for sure come in and make one hell of a ride if they were given the chance, and I have no doubt that RMC would build a more exciting and better ride, but I'm not sure it would be necessary at a park like CP. 

• G Force%s's Photo
    Its been confirmed that the ride will be removed for a future expansion to frontier town.

image_339.png

I think that puts both a re-profiling and RMC conversion out of the question.
  • Version1%s's Photo

Austin, GCI woodies are plenty good themselves.

• RCT2day%s's Photo

I'm with Austin, especially after CF went with GCI to restore Ghostrider at Knott's and that turned out well.  

I'm kinda sad to see Mean Streak going, but it's time.

• Austin55%s's Photo
    I'm not so sure of GCI now, since theyve said it will be "removed". RMC would still fit the bill a bit with that wording but can't expect a GCI remake with that in mind.
  • Maverix%s's Photo

When Knotts announced Ghostrider's refurbishment, they announced it as that, a Refurbishment.

This also seems to mirror how Cedar Point did the announcement for Rougarou, announcing the conversion a few months after announcing the closing of Mantis.

To me, it just seems like too good of an opportunity to pass on not using that structure to making a truly amazing Coaster.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

I'd put money on an RMC. They didn't mark all the footers just to screw with people, they're up to something.

Luckily we'll be there on Labor day weekend to get our last rides in. I know we're in the minority but we always liked Mean Streak. Still, I'm really excited for a potential RMC conversion.

• RCT2day%s's Photo

^Once you learn how to ride it, you can enjoy it so much more.  I had a semi-positive experience after experimenting a few times with where to sit, when/how to lean forward, etc.

• Austin55%s's Photo

I really enjoyed it when I went, mostly because I did'nt think it was painful at all and the lines were short. I'd rather wait 5 minutes for MS than 2 hours for Maverick. 

• G Force%s's Photo

It was fine for a few seasons after the re-tracked some of the first half in 2010 or 2011.  But the coaster is still shit, I used to like certain spots, but I don't think any seat is good currently.

• Coasterbill%s's Photo

^^ Oh yeah if you sit in the front of Mean Streak and lean forward it's smoother than Blue Streak. It's not an eventful ride layout but the ride never deserved the hate that it got.

• Austin55%s's Photo

Annoucment today at 10AM

edit- nevermind just the waterpark expansion

• Austin55%s's Photo

RIP Mean Streak. Today is the last day.

• G Force%s's Photo

Good

• Austin55%s's Photo

RMC crane spotted at an off-site maintenance facility in Sandusky.

14440678_10154032455072857_3897749481334

Here's a pic of same crane from Twisted Colossus construction.

14390962_10154032455052857_7064549692696

• Sephiroth%s's Photo
    Hot damn. That is the only credible thing about the future of Mean Streak's plot of land that I've seen so far.
  • G Force%s's Photo

Track has been removed from the station:

Attached File  Mean Streak.PNG (611.04KB)
    downloads: 26

Also, a RMC Truck has been confirmed to be on the site:
    FB_IMG_1474669259668.jpg

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading