Custom Scenery Exchange / need the light effects stuff

• stef%s's Photo

I actually have a light effects file but cant find it under the object selection dropdown menu. my obj dat file says I have it

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

I'm confused as to what you're asking. RCT2 has no support for lighting (there are path lamps, but they do nothing), so you can't add this through an object file.

• If you're talking about JeroenDStout's light effects, that is not an object file, that's a fork of the game. You can find it here. Be aware that it is forked from an old version of the game, and is missing features introduced since.
    • If you are talking about custom water palettes used to acheive a "night time" effect, they go in the water tab of the object selection. You can only select one at once, so it replaces the default water.
    • If you're talking about path lamps, they are scenery objects. Go to the object selection, select scenery, then advanced, then path extras, and they should be visible. They won't actually light anything though, unless you're running JeroenDStout's fork.
  • stef%s's Photo

yes i was referring to jeroens. i'm not sure what a fork in the game means but if it's going to screw up my game then i'll pass. I also tried the water maker and was disappointed that it would change all the water. I wanted it for the inside of a cave i'm working on. I have also been working on shading the land using Gimp and the object maker but it never quite looks level with the surrounding ground. thanks for the help

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

Just to be clear, he's talking about OpenRCT2. A fork just means it's a separate develop branch, it won't mess up your game. You can easily switch back to the main develop branch (if you are indeed using OpenRCT2) just by downloading the latest dev installer or using the launcher.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

A fork is a version whose development has split off from the main game. Only a few developers have permission to commit to the OpenRCT2 repo directly. If you want to implement a feature, you make a fork, then add your changes to that. Then you can submit a pull request for the changes to be merged into develop. There is an open PR for the light effects, but they were never ready to merge due to performance issues, and development seems to have stopped for the time being.

Jeroens fork is out of date is all, it won't screw up your game it's just missing features. It was forked from develop ~3 months ago so it's not as old as the stable build, but still, I prefer to use it only for viewing parks - for building I stick with develop. Version control makes it trivial to switch back and forth between different versions - I have a version with heightmap loading implemented that I only used with one specific park (my ill-fated landscaping entry).

• stef%s's Photo

I gotcha. does anyone know of 1. any shaded land blocks already made  2. why my shade blocks that look good in the editor don't actually sit correctly when implemented in the game. I have them fit 1full block then push it down to sit on the grid (in the editor) then it looks like crap in the game. need something dark for my cave. btw yes I'm playing Open RTC2 and it's really fun!

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading