General Chat / A New Element Discord server?

• Lotte%s's Photo

Hey everybody

I've been thinking, would a NE discord server be a good idea? In case you've been living under a rock (be it a very small one), discord is a webservice that allows people in a server to chat and talk to eachother, be it through text or speech. basicly you'd have the old NE irc chat, with the added bonus that you're actually able to see older messages, which allows discord to be used in a way pretty similar to texting (and did I mention you can use it on your phone as well?).

to make a discord account go to discord.gg, it's free of charge, and so is the server.

I feel like the community could use a little bit more of action and talk going on outside of the set discussions of the forums, and I feel like a discord server would be perfect for that.

• G Force%s's Photo

Unless its integrated into the site I don't think there is a point.  I mean we have the forums anyways and they basically are the same thing just not as instantaneous.

I just doubt many people would adapt a new service to serve minimal purpose over what we already have.

• Lotte%s's Photo

The forums have the disadvantage of not being flexible enough to allow for instant messaging or any conversation for that matter, it's like talking to someone on mars. Discord is pretty awesome, and I have personal experience with things like discord seeing great activity in places where any form of instant communication isn't possible, like New Element.

• Lotte%s's Photo

I went ahead and made a server, let's see where this goes :)

invitation to the server is here

Hopefully the admins and more people here get on board with the idea, I'd love to just be able to talk to everybody on NE without having to stick to specific topics, for which we always have the forums, it's nice to have a casual conversation, you know?

• Milo%s's Photo

discord is great, and it's great for communities connecting via the phone app. voice and text chat for any future competitions would be a nice perk and even those that can't make it to a pc can be involved.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

New Element seems very centered around final products, discord could be a means of sharing our unfinished screens looking for guidance without getting yelled out for an unfinished screen.

I guess I'll try out the discord, but if it dies quickly, don't say I didn't warn you :p

• Lotte%s's Photo

The NE discord server so far has 14 members, and chat is decently active. Don't be afraid to pop in and say hi :)

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

I'm reposting the inexpirable link here: https://discord.gg/fjxWmuw

• posix%s's Photo

When you do this, can you please call it something like gdb's RCT chat rather than New Element?

Don't mean to be negative, but I can't see how this is any different from AIM groups, Hangouts groups, IRC, etc?

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    Pos are you aftaid that we'd hurt the integrity/credibility of the site?
  • Faas%s's Photo
    Well I can see where posix is coming from since there is a guy on this site that likes to look at furry animals fucking each other.
  • Louis!%s's Photo

^Which of course isn't a problem, just isn't really necessary to inform everyone about it.

(What people get up to in their spare time is their perogative)

In terms of calling it an official NE chat thing, I think it's more to do with it not being regulated by an officer of NE.

• Xeccah%s's Photo
    I am a troll. I provoke. That is my MO
  • Faas%s's Photo
    Attached File  db0.jpg (26.15KB)
    downloads: 40
  • FredD%s's Photo

If there was a like button :p 

• Lotte%s's Photo

When you do this, can you please call it something like gdb's RCT chat rather than New Element?

Don't mean to be negative, but I can't see how this is any different from AIM groups, Hangouts groups, IRC, etc?

This is a lot more centralized, and let's be honest, a lot more modern and convenient than all of the things you listed. IRC and AIM are decades behind the times, and hangouts are annoying to organize and don't allow for messages to be left for other people.

Besides that, I've asked Liam several times in the channel if he or any admins would like to become a moderator in the channel, instead of me, to which he replied that he didn't understood how discord worked (it's super easy and I'm more than willing to explain things).

Also please don't raise the whole "integrity"  question, why should the actions of somebody who refuses to act mature be my responsibility again?

• Lotte%s's Photo
    I am a troll. I provoke. That is my MO

shogo you're doing a total crap job at being a "troll", be more like Ken M and maybe I'll consider you remotely funny :p

• posix%s's Photo

Just because something's "modern" doesn't mean it's good. Of course Hangouts leaves messages for others. Just because we don't want to moderate doesn't mean you should step up and take the site's name for something you're currently excited about.

• G Force%s's Photo

Our Hurricane's AIM chat is called NE Hurricane's chat.  Do we have to change that?

• Louis!%s's Photo

Posix, it's actually a decent way of communicating, different to AIM etc, feels much more like the chatroom we used to operate on the site.

And me and Liam are admins of it, so it is being moderated. I think its something worth trialing for the time being. If there is a demand for it I don't see why we can't have it.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading