Ask the Experts / Creating underbrush objects.

• nicman%s's Photo

i have seen several underbrush objects which is basically a collection of foliage into one object. And I would like to make one for my park.

Here is what I have:

Attached File  Design 2017-01-30 12-45-51.png (6.45KB)
    downloads: 37

Now how would I turn it into a object?

• G Force%s's Photo

Build it over a black (or monocolor) background, screenshot it with a .bmp, crop in paint, save as a .jpg, then save it as the correct .bmp type (IIRC its 256 color, but it might take some trial and error), then open it in the object creator.  Should be self explanatory form there.

• Liampie%s's Photo

- Press H to make the grass invisible. There's your black background

- Take a screen from every angle. I guess PNG is best, so do it in OpenRCT

- Open in paint. Crop the image so that the image is as small as it gets without cutting away pixels from the object iself

- Copy it

- Paste it in the object editor

- Finalise object

Alternative method:

- draw pixel by pixel

• nicman%s's Photo

Build it over a black (or monocolor) background, screenshot it with a .bmp, crop in paint, save as a .jpg, then save it as the correct .bmp type (IIRC its 256 color, but it might take some trial and error), then open it in the object creator.  Should be self explanatory form there.

Clever, I was wondering how to remove the background  from a screenshot. Now I know that I can just make it on a black background.

Thanks for the tips, it will allow me to make a few more objects that Ive wanted to make from screenshots.

And there is abosulty no way i will being drawing that object pixel by pixel ;).

• GammaZero%s's Photo

Alternative method:

- draw pixel by pixel

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

save as a .jpg

Why?

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

.jpg is a bad choice for that. The jpeg file format is better suited for photographs than graphics, especially low pixel count graphics. I would suggest .png or .bmp, the latter being compatible with the RCT2 Object Editor.

• nicman%s's Photo

.jpg is a bad choice for that. The jpeg file format is better suited for photographs than graphics, especially low pixel count graphics. I would suggest .png or .bmp, the latter being compatible with the RCT2 Object Editor.

I agree, jpg is good because it compresses the pictures so it saves storage unlike png and bmp. I think bmp would be the best, because its the most accurate I believe.

• G Force%s's Photo

Sorry, I meant .png, but I don't know if it actually maters as.  Saving it as a non .bmp in paint initially just allows the image from losing is resolution or quality, idk how it works but that's what I was told to do an its worked for me.

• X7123M3-256%s's Photo

Sorry, I meant .png, but I don't know if it actually maters as

JPEG is a terrible choice for any RCT sprites, which is why I asked if there was a specific reason why it was recommended. JPEG is lossy compression, so you are losing quality. Not only that, but this loss of quality will result in an image that has colors outside the RCT palette, so you will quantize them again and lose more quality. Worse, if you end up with background pixels not being the correct shade of black, they may not be transparent. Also PNG supports indexed color images, JPEG does not. If you're using JPEG because you're concerned about file size that's the difference between storing 8 bits per pixel and 24.

But really, these images are so small that it hardly matters - the LSM sprites that YoloSweggLord made are around 500 bytes each when optimized, which is less than the text of this post. I would pick either PNG or BMP.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading