Ask the Experts / Complaint

• Noah%s's Photo

Hello everyone,

I have been patiently waiting for someone to make the park maps for my park upload called Firehawk Recreation. It seems that the admins on this site do not care about parks that new users make and simply ignore making the park maps for these users. This is what is called poor communication between the admin and the user. I've had it with waiting. But being the kind man I am, I'll continue to wait patiently for my park to be successfully uploaded to this site by someone who cares about making park maps for users. Thank you.

-Noah

P.S. If anything in this message offends you, I apologize in advance. 

• CoasterCreator9%s's Photo

How long have you been waiting?

• GammaZero%s's Photo

Noah, I'm not an admin, but I can say this to you: the admins do their best job here. There's a shitton of parks in the queue everytime, and approving parks takes more than just 5 minutes. Please have some respect, the admins aren't your slaves.

• YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

If your park wasn't approved yet, it's possible that the admins didn't feel it was worthy of New Element.

• G Force%s's Photo
    It's been waiting on a map for a while now. We've just have a shortage of map maker's currently. ][ntamin is the only one at this time who can do them (or that is willing to do them, hint hint) and he's on vacation for the next week.

It should be released sometime before the end of this month. Just be patient, it's a tedious process and isn't something that is all that enjoyable to do, but for a handful of top tier parks.

If anyone has Photoshop and is willing to make maps for us, the process will be much quicker.
  • YoloSweggLord%s's Photo

If anyone has Photoshop and is willing to make maps for us, the process will be much quicker.

That sounds like something I'd want to do... except I don't have Photoshop, I'm a GIMP peasant :( .

• Noah%s's Photo

How long have you been waiting?

About 2 weeks now. 

• bigshootergill%s's Photo

2 weeks isn't as long to wait as you might think. Sometimes they're able to release parks in a week, sometimes it's 4 weeks. I've waited at least 4-5 weeks for some of my parks to be released, it sucks because I'm sure you put a lot of work into it, but that's also reality. It depends on how much time these volunteers have, they have busy lives, so they always appreciate it when NE members show patience with them, they deserve that from us. Taking time from their lives for this site is a wonderful sacrifice they make.

Looking forward to checking out your park when it's released Noah, it's always a great deal when new members get their first park released! :)

• Version1%s's Photo

It should be released sometime before the end of this month. Just be patient, it's a tedious process and isn't something that is all that enjoyable to do, but for a handful of top tier parks.

What about the Giant Screenshot function of OpenRCT2?

• G Force%s's Photo

Well yes, we use that, but it still takes time to edit the image.

But like always, if anyone is able to help out with the map making process, we would welcome you with open arms.

• Louis!%s's Photo
    It takes a bit more than just a giant screenshot. Although that certainly has made the process a hell of a lot easier.

A lot of the time what it comes too, well for me certainly, is that a lot of my NE time is spent on mobile, on the go or where I don't have my computer present to be able to quickly set up a map/release.

My own dedication to the site comes through the members, interacting with the community inside and outside of the site, I'm more of a diplomatic admin than an action admin, that being said I admit I could do with stepping up the action side of things.

We've got a lot of organising going on at the minute, awards season is upon us etc, but like G has said, we welcome help from all areas of the site to help things run smoothly, so if you are a more established member with help to offer then please let us know!
  • nicman%s's Photo

ive been waiting my park map for a month now.

• Jappy%s's Photo

I remember posting Easkerton Towers in the morning, and by the evening it was published with map. :p

• ][ntamin22%s's Photo
    I go on vacation and everything falls apart, huh? No worries, everyone, I'm back and working on maps as we speak.

Please see my post here from a few months ago:

Map turnaround time is related to many factors in the release approval process / queue.  Since ORCT2's Big Screenshot feature was implemented they've become significantly easier to do, but there's still a multi-step process to work through to format and optimize the files for hosting on the site. The fact that it's a tedious task at times and relies on when the map team or admins are available to do it has occasionally stretched the queue length to a month or more, though that's on the extreme end of things. Part of the reason myself and G Force were added to the admin team recently is to help keep the release queue moving.

Aside from the technical concerns, we also try to space out releases a little so the community can keep up with new downloads and give them the views and comments they deserve rather than releasing everything as quickly as possible.  It looks like your map is second in line right now, so it shouldn't be more than few days until we get to it.  Feel free to PM if you've got questions!

There's been enough posts like this in the past few months that I may make a sticky to help explain the wait time. I can see how it's frustrating or unexpected.
    I do think the complaint is reasonable; we've definitely been slow this winter for a variety of reasons.
  • G Force%s's Photo

That's another good point.

We aren't going to shovel out releases if no one cares about the parks recently released.  We put out 4 parks recently, for a combined 5 comments and 9 ratings.  Not to mention the long queue of parks awaiting accolade votes, stretching back to the fall.

Don't expect more releases if you don't give attention to the parks already out.  I understand its hard for one member to make a difference here, but I know there is more than one member who wishes to see the release speed increase.

• Faas%s's Photo

Hello everyone,

I have been patiently waiting for someone to make the park maps for my park upload called Firehawk Recreation. It seems that the admins on this site do not care about parks that new users make and simply ignore making the park maps for these users. This is what is called poor communication between the admin and the user. I've had it with waiting. But being the kind man I am, I'll continue to wait patiently for my park to be successfully uploaded to this site by someone who cares about making park maps for users. Thank you.

-Noah

P.S. If anything in this message offends you, I apologize in advance.

The complaint could be reasonable but your post isn't. Stop jumping to conclusions and remember people do this in their free time.
  • inthemanual%s's Photo

That sounds like something I'd want to do... except I don't have Photoshop, I'm a GIMP peasant :( .

I used to do it in GIMP.

Tags

• No Tags

Members Reading